How to prevent standing up/lean back

RandallC

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I need assistance in something I don’t really see much on YouTube and I’m not to the point of lessons just yet.

With my driver when I am on my backswing I tend to lean back in my stance cause me several issues woofing, topping, missing, toeing the ball.

Has anyone had this issue before maybe my path is wrong….i come back make the turn lock my forward arm and tend to be just above my shoulders. Similar to what I see from Peter Finch.

The tip I got was on your back swing, focus on keeping your upper body still and head stable. Make sure you rotate your hips instead

I’ve been working in the yard one not swinging all the way around and up. But it seems like it’s not working so I will keep working on it.

I was told to keep both feet evenly on the ground, heel to toe.
, and let the swing move them as needed.

Also to focus on keeping my sternum the same distance from the ball. Keeping the sternum the same distance from the ball, allows the shoulders to move with the swing, and the shoulders turn the hips as needed.

As long as my sternum stays put, my own set distance from the ball, everything else eventually falls into place. At least my head and shoulders don't raise up.

Thinking about it now, I can't remember the last time I thought about my sternum. It's on auto pilot I guess.

I am working on this thank you so much. I’ll try to keep planted. I want auto pilot to be there.

I tend to think about rotating around an imaginary rod running from the middle top of your head that extends out your rear. It allows a consistent rotation.

It sounds to me like your issue is with your lower body. First, I need to understand your terminology. When you say lean back do you mean letting your weight shift to the outside of of your rear foot, or do you mean standing up straighter? It kind of sounds to me like the latter.

A buddy of mine had the exact opposite problem. He would dive toward the ball on the backswing and stand up on the downswing. It sounds to me like you are doing the opposite of that. I've also seen people who are trying to make a longer backswing do the same thing. They stand up because to them it "feels like" they are making a longer backswing.

I don't think that "locking your lead arm" or your swing path or plane is the issue here. It is your posture during the swing. If your moving up and down in relation to the ball, the radius of your swing is constantly changing. This makes solid contact with a ball very problematic! There's lots of stuff out there about "early extension", but that is usually referenced in relation to the downswing. But, that doesn't mean it can't happen during the backswing as well.

It sounds to me like your issue is with your lower body. First, I need to understand your terminology. When you say lean back do you mean letting your weight shift to the outside of of your rear foot, or do you mean standing up straighter? It kind of sounds to me like the latter.

A buddy of mine had the exact opposite problem. He would dive toward the ball on the backswing and stand up on the downswing. It sounds to me like you are doing the opposite of that. I've also seen people who are trying to make a longer backswing do the same thing. They stand up because to them it "feels like" they are making a longer backswing.

I don't think that "locking your lead arm" or your swing path or plane is the issue here. It is your posture during the swing. If your moving up and down in relation to the ball, the radius of your swing is constantly changing. This makes solid contact with a ball very problematic! There's lots of stuff out there about "early extension", but that is usually referenced in relation to the downswing. But, that doesn't mean it can't happen during the backswing as well.
When I start my backswing I pull the club up and start then in the rotation around my body upper I feel like tend to lean toward my heals and when I down swing my arms are still straight and swinging down but I end up over the ball or topping it. Mainly with my driver due to trying to twist my upper body and began the downswing.

I was refering to the locking of the arm left arm just to reference that I am not rotating my arms around only

Best tip I ever got for coming out of your swing was ...

Your back foot (it you are a righty , your right foot) , hit balls with that foot on your toes with your knee bent. You'll see, it's basically impossible to lift your head up or come out of your swing. It's good practice

I still do this a few times every practice session

I can explain better

When I am in my backswing with the driver coming up and around my body I am lifting up out of the over the ball stance and I guess moving my head up/back causing my back to extend around and on my down swing I never get back to that original distance to the ball causing to top, miss or toe the ball since the driver is no longer in the same distance as setup. But sometimes I over compensate for that and end up heeling the ball.

Put a strap around your head and then tie that to your belt buckle with a bungee cord or something! THAT should encourage a steady head and encourage that 'around, not up' mentality. You want that sense of COIL in your body to release that potential energy. Once you get the 'FEELING' of going around, it will seem right. I like the 'right heel up' thing as well, I do a similar thing every so often.

Last edited:
last night while the kids were going to sleep (I have to stay in the hall or they play) I was up without a club just my hands trying different thing and I came up with something like you are saying right foot up type thing as well as keeping my body more fluid then rigid also seemed to help. Was taking a few swings without the club and I felt it is my back instead of my arms so I think I have found it.

Granted- when you see the Pros and at impact, their heads are behind the ball- you might be taking that to an extreme. In your case it seems like your whole body is behind the ball. They have their hips even with or ahead of the ball at impact. So, yes- keep the head back, but not UP...

My problem is I am lifting my shoulders when turning to get that power hit.

It sounds like early extension. Maybe you will find some ideas if you google "early extension in golf swing".

Will do that tonight

I need assistance in something I don’t really see much on YouTube and I’m not to the point of lessons just yet.

With my driver when I am on my backswing I tend to lean back in my stance cause me several issues woofing, topping, missing, toeing the ball.

Has anyone had this issue before maybe my path is wrong….i come back make the turn lock my forward arm and tend to be just above my shoulders. Similar to what I see from Peter Finch.
The thing about learning the golf swing is that we fall into the trap of thinking we can learn a golf swing from watching a good golf swing. It's not going to happen because the micro moves that cause the macro movements we see in a good golf swing are not visible to the spectator. You see the elite golf swing takes a little over a second. Everything needs to work in sequence from within to without. This means that the inner muscles that we can't see power and drive the outside body parts we can see.
It amazes me in this day and age that most golfers don't know much about movement and how their body is designed to work.

I don’t know how my body works but am working to get the best swing my body can and I’m not looking to get 300 yards but more then 130 plus my swing speed is 70-80. So I’m not fluid as I should be, I’m not using my core and legs or but it’s all arms. But with some tips from here I have been able to find some more activation that I am hoping to try out and see if I can swing better.

I don’t know how my body works but am working to get the best swing my body can and I’m not looking to get 300 yards but more then 130 plus my swing speed is 70-80. So I’m not fluid as I should be, I’m not using my core and legs or but it’s all arms. But with some tips from here I have been able to find some more activation that I am hoping to try out and see if I can swing better.

What did I tell you in my first reply? It seems like your problem is with the lower body. The golf swing is an athletic movement. Some guys can make an upper body swing work, and some can't. Not to complicate this too much, but it seems to me that you simply have to work at some way to stay in posture throughout the swing. This is not always an easy thing to do. I don't know how old you are, but this is especially true as you age. At 71 I struggle with this, and I think leg and core strength helps. My core is still pretty strong, so I am focusing on leg strength for this season. I've said for many years that when you lose your legs, you lose your swing.

What did I tell you in my first reply? It seems like your problem is with the lower body. The golf swing is an athletic movement. Some guys can make an upper body swing work, and some can't. Not to complicate this too much, but it seems to me that you simply have to work at some way to stay in posture throughout the swing. This is not always an easy thing to do. I don't know how old you are, but this is especially true as you age. At 71 I struggle with this, and I think leg and core strength helps. My core is still pretty strong, so I am focusing on leg strength for this season. I've said for many years that when you lose your legs, you lose your swing.
Working on it as well

We are literally all guessing without seeing your swing.It could be anything from a grip issue, bad driver shaft fitting, setup, … anything

I know but it’s all good suggestions. I was out swinging a foam ball into the net before sun went down and I noticed my swing path is high like I’m bringing it to my head which might be causing the lifting action so without suggestions from all of you I wouldn’t have noticed that I’m wrong at my back swing and causing my self to lift up just another thing to work on.

Back