How to get my formerly very good game at least somewhat back?

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Public health doctor totally occupied by work and giveing vaccines during last yeat truly now playing again some and struggling to get game back after also some injuries.

Former club champ who has played in 3 state amateurs and played in US Open qualifiers and now am struggling to make consistent contact and have lost a lot of distance at 63. Used to be long now relatively short hitter and SS has dropped from around 110 to about 92-95. Taking lessons end of month with acclaimed pro so that will likely help.

Gaming first edition PXG 0211s irons and a prototype PXG driver with ok success, and still pretty good with wedges and putter (Model 6 series 62 Cameron)

Working out 5x week with spin cycling and weight exercises classes called body pump and core and some machines to try to get back some swing speed. Going to purchase swingspeed sticks soon.

Problem is I cannot hit balls more than a half hour without back pain.

Thoughts on how to get some length and consistency back? Miss is typically a pull hook.

If you figure it out let me know. My SS has dropped from 105ish into your range. I have been working out regularly and for a couple of years and haven’t gotten the speed back.

I think working explosiveness would help but I am not going to the gym and don’t have this space to do squats, deadlifts, box jumps etc. I am doing GOLFFOREVER right now which helps me some but I don’t see it so far increasing distance. I do feel better though.

If you figure it out let me know. My SS has dropped from 105ish into your range. I have been working out regularly and for a couple of years and haven’t gotten the speed back.

I think working explosiveness would help but I am not going to the gym and don’t have this space to do squats, deadlifts, box jumps etc. I am doing GOLFFOREVER right now which helps me some but I don’t see it so far increasing distance. I do feel better though.

Thanks I would even take 100 back if could get consistency back as well. Going to hit a lot of balls and try to extend my BS some - always had a shortish swing. Keep up the good fight as well.

I’m a lot like you. Formerly a reasonably good golfer, got away from the game and now back with a loss of distance and a bad back. The only thing that has worked for me is practice, practice and more practice. Like you, my back keeps my practice time short but being retired I have a lot of time to practice in short sessions with breaks in between. I doubt I’ll ever get back the distance I lost, but I’m trying to make up for that with my short game. If you were good, it won’t take too much time to get back to playing better. Take advantage of the senior tees especially on holes that are just too long for your reduced driving distance. Also understand that you won’t be qualifying for the US Open again, so just enjoy playing.

I’m a lot like you. Formerly a reasonably good golfer, got away from the game and now back with a loss of distance and a bad back. The only thing that has worked for me is practice, practice and more practice. Like you, my back keeps my practice time short but being retired I have a lot of time to practice in short sessions with breaks in between. I doubt I’ll ever get back the distance I lost, but I’m trying to make up for that with my short game. If you were good, it won’t take too much time to get back to playing better. Take advantage of the senior tees especially on holes that are just too long for your reduced driving distance. Also understand that you won’t be qualifying for the US Open again, so just enjoy playing.

Thanks and good luck. In 14.5 months (but who is counting) I will be 65 and can play the senior tees more events....

Public health doctor totally occupied by work and giveing vaccines during last yeat truly now playing again some and struggling to get game back after also some injuries.

Former club champ who has played in 3 state amateurs and played in US Open qualifiers and now am struggling to make consistent contact and have lost a lot of distance at 63. Used to be long now relatively short hitter and SS has dropped from around 110 to about 92-95. Taking lessons end of month with acclaimed pro so that will likely help.

Gaming first edition PXG 0211s irons and a prototype PXG driver with ok success, and still pretty good with wedges and putter (Model 6 series 62 Cameron)

Working out 5x week with spin cycling and weight exercises classes called body pump and core and some machines to try to get back some swing speed. Going to purchase swingspeed sticks soon.

Thoughts on how to get some length and consistency back? Miss is typically a pull hook.
No swing help, but a hearty "Thank You!" for doing what you are doing for the citizenry.

Thanks I would even take 100 back if could get consistency back as well. Going to hit a lot of balls and try to extend my BS some - always had a shortish swing. Keep up the good fight as well.

I am consistent at my pedestrian swing speed. Over 9 rounds I am hitting 70% of fairways but probably averaging 230 yards. When I play courses that are 6500 yards and under I hit a ton of greens as well and shoot low scores. Longer than that and I struggle to hit greens because I am hitting fairway woods into greens. I still hold my own with guys that are longer than me but I don't score like I used to. Of course I had a 10-12 year period when I didn't play much golf.

No swing help, but a hearty "Thank You!" for doing what you are doing for the citizenry.
Thank you gave my 1000th dose primarily to those who work with Veterans but have volunteered another site. Get vaccinated all.....

same boat SS wise. for me it is lack of playing that has killed me. sitting at a desk, or behind a steering wheel, 50 hours a week and not doing anything athletic for weeks and then thinking i am just going to go out and hit 280 yard bombs....NOPE, not gonna happen for me.

good luck, hope you get it back. and a big Thank you for what you do

You just have to put in the time, provided your body will hold up to the work. I'm older than you by a year and work hard at the game most days each week. You may never see swing speeds like you once saw, but if you can get the ball out there 230-250 off the tee, and keep it in play consistently, I believe you can play this game at a fairly high level. So, yes, a little work on swing speed will help, but more importantly, I believe you need to focus more on your iron accuracy and short game. You've been there before, so you already know this. Give yourself reasonable opportunities to get to the green in regulation and a solid short game will make you competitive again. A little extra distance certainly helps (and we all want it), but don't chase 40 or 50 extra yards at the expense of your body. At our age, accuracy is our best path forward.

Though I have not moved up to the white tees yet at my home course, they are looking very appealing. My driver SS is between 95-100. I regularly play from about 6500 yards. Yet in tournament play, 6200 yards is the more likely set-up distance for the senior events. Being used to 6500 makes those 6200 set-ups seem a bit easier (not that anything in golf is easy). If you had the ballstriking ability before, as long as you are in good shape and work hard at the game, you will get it back again, maybe with the exception of a few mph of SS. But, IMO, accuracy is better than distance more often than not. Sometimes it take us until we start to get up in age to realize that.

Visit a chiropractor who utilizes Applied Kinesiology. Slow down your backswing, maybe shorten it. Good luck.

Good points all but not going to shorten swing anymore. As one gets older if anything should strive for longer IMO.

Go get lessons. Fix some of those bad habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm recovering from a lost game, due to health reversals. Get lessons from a really good teacher. Your good game is still in there and lessons will let you find it again.

Go get lessons. Fix some of those bad habits.

Thanks - Have and will but last pro said he saw little or nothing to fix. We just worked a little on set up. On range still hit it well some of time.

What's the cause of your back pain?

Public health doc...

I’ve been swamped too, managed to get a couple rounds in this year so far, let’s just say it’s not ending like last year. Vaccinating fool here as well, just on the pharmacy side.

But you’re the doc. Seems like there might/could be an elephant in this room.

A little on me. Quit the game mostly for 10 years maybe playing 5 times? Probably not that. Total. Was scratch to slightly plus, at that point. Came back and played to a low single. Got sick (MCD). Had an accident. Life turned upside down.

Positives. I’ve taken fitness up again and am close to my goal of losing 100#. Illness is gone. Ex is gone.

Negatives-other than the end of 2020 when I unexpectedly played the last 5 rounds very well, I’ve been a mess since the end of 2018 when I came down with MCD. I think right now I’m fighting varying levels of strength and losing a lot of weight changes your swing. I think I just need to pound balls until it’s comfortable again. Ironically I’m driving the ball well, everything else is a mess.

So I’ll be following for some hot tips as well.

Thanks - Have and will but last pro said he saw little or nothing to fix. We just worked a little on set up. On range still hit it well some of time.

Hitting it well some of the time isnt good. Go to someone that has video available. See what the difference is most of the time vs some of the time

Hitting it well some of the time isnt good. Go to someone that has video available. See what the difference is most of the time vs some of the time
Of course have done video and by an acclaimed area teacher. Just going to have to devote more time to it again.

What's the cause of your back pain?
A fall down stadium stairs a few years ago was part of reason but no disc disease

Thanks all going to work hard to get some back starting with speed stick training and as many balls as can hit

A fall down stadium stairs a few years ago was part of reason but no disc disease

how is your flexibility and core strength? improving that would be high on my list. Says the guy who doesn’t practice what he preaches.

@Rummpd your body's facia has changed over the lay-off years since your best playing years. The body's facia changes completely every two years and conforms to our normal habits etc that form our everyday life.
Your challenge is to reeducate your muscles and facia (myofascia) over the next two years to relearn a golf swing that no longer exists. Be carefully there is a minefield of misinformation out there that you will need to tread to rebuild your swing. Good luck.

how is your flexibility and core strength? improving that would be high on my list. Says the guy who doesn’t practice what he preaches.
Doing core and Pilates classes each week but a work in progress thanks

I'm exactly like you except Dr. part. I started the speed sticks and gained speed, I'm averaging about 102 now. They work and just takes a few months. I bet you gain 5-10 mph quickly with your game.

Back