How to Attend a Golf Tournament

We saw them during their warmup practice on the range at the Chevron World Challenge here a few months ago, and I was able to meet Kenny Perry and a few others. But at the 18th hole, you park yourself right at the tent where they have to go through to exit the course and I was able to meet Anthony Kim and a few others and get his signature as well.

I was good and left my cell phone AND camera in the car :( too bad too, but oh well, I've got my photographic memory :good:

Awesome!! So we'll get some great pictures :) Can you get signatures too? :D I'll send you a picture of me on a popsicle stick and that way I'll "be" in the pictures as well :clapp:

If you search for Doral or Transitions, you will see our pictures from last year. Including GG with quite a few of the players.

Awesome!! So we'll get some great pictures :) Can you get signatures too? :D I'll send you a picture of me on a popsicle stick and that way I'll "be" in the pictures as well :clapp:

JB wanted me to get a few photos with some of the players but I try to not even do that. We are there on business so I couldn't ask for an autograph, I'm sorry. I would love to do that but I am not sure I would be taken seriously as media if I was asking for autographs, it's one of the only bad parts of being there for business and not pleasure. I'm so sorry GC : (

JB wanted me to get a few photos with some of the players but I try to not even do that. We are there on business so I couldn't ask for an autograph, I'm sorry. I would love to do that but I am not sure I would be taken seriously as media if I was asking for autographs, it's one of the only bad parts of being there for business and not pleasure. I'm so sorry GC : (

Absolutely. We just cannot do autographs. We do wish it was another way, but we are there working and it would not be right. GG is 100% right.

No worries :) Its probably not a good idea!

I want to personally thank all the THP'ers for all the comments on Claire's article. People put a lot of hard work into putting stuff out there and it was awesome that so many commented on her article in the 1st day. Thank you.

Just my opinion, but Nicklaus was NOT accessible to fans when we saw him. With the exception of maybe Woods, he was the least accessible I have seen. I love how most the guys are with the fans now.

Perhaps what I'm really remembering is that the pros seemed less roped off so to speak.

solid write up Claire. i've been lucky enough to attend a couple of tournaments but i never put this much thought into it. i can't wait to attend my next one, b/c of your article i'll be much more prepared for a better experience.

Well done Claire! I think a lot of people attending their first tournament will get a good picture of what it is like and what to expect. Excellent info on what days to go on. I am not sure most people realize you can take pictures only during practice rounds, which are definitely worth it by the way. Especially during big tournaments like the US Open. I prefer to go on Thursday and Friday to see the golf as opposed to the weekend, for the reason that you mentioned, the crowds. I am a strategic spectator so that I can get to see everyone I want that day. Great article!

Excellent article. That can be used as a reference point every year.

Here are some tips I thought of. No doubt this will ramble:

* Study the course and pair sheet. If two high profile groups tee off about an hour apart, that's roughly 4 holes. You can strategically plan where to cut across for max benefit. Players teeing off on the back nine might loop to an area convenient to catch them for a hole or two, if not join that group. It's always wise to find two consecutive groups with interesting players. You can watch the lead group putt out then wait for approach shots from the next group, or any similar combo.

* Identify the most interesting and difficult shots. I'll use Doral next week as an example. That course has many relatively bland par 4s. I have no idea why so many people camp out on those holes. But there are challenging shots like tee shot and approach on #3, tough long par 3 over water #4, second shot to borderline reachable par 5 #8, corner cut second shot on par 5 #10, tee shot on very long par 3 #12, and of course the diabolical par 4 #18. I love to find areas where the pros are likely to bail, because they'll be near or even outside the gallery ropes and you can hear conversation and strategy between player and caddie from literally feet away. Left on Doral #3 is a typical bail out shot, the hole where Stenson took off his pants last year. Right on Doral's #18 is awesome. When played into the wind one player after another will scare from the water at left and blow it outside the ropes. You can stand right there and witness what they face. Mickelson is a treat outside the ropes, constant chatter with Bones. As Claire indicated, short par 4s are a great viewing choice, with all the options. At Doral's #16 the pros literally drive it over your head if you stand front left of the tee box. I'll be interested to see if they change that this year and force the gallery further away.

* Similarly, check which tee markers are close to the back of the box. I prioritize the tees where you can stand mere feet behind the players and watch the awesome ball flight, barely resembling my own shots. Try to do that on a hole everyone uses a driver, and also on a par 3 with iron in hand.

* Note the wind and sun. No sense waiting behind a green if the sun is in your face while looking back toward the players. They'll see the ball flight and you won't. You'll feel like a dope waiting to hear a plop. Similarly, the wind will dictate strategies on certain holes. An exciting reachable par 5 in tame conditions may turn into a 3 shot blase wedge contest if played into a stiff breeze.

* Look at the pin location before deciding where to stand behind a green. It's markedly more interesting if you can see the line and the hole and not merely the roll of the ball. Find the high spots and best angles. If you pick a popular grandstand behind a #9 or #18, keep in mind you're more controlled in that area. The marshalls will rope off the stairs and not allow anyone in or out until the group has completed play. I much prefer the free agent approach, zapping here and there. Always be respectful and wait for everyone to putt out, not merely the marquee player. On tee boxes, the pro with honor will drive it more quickly than you think. Don't be walking to a tee box late, thinking there's still 30 seconds or a minute to spare. I always see more player and caddie annoyance on tee boxes than at the greens.

* There will be plenty of hot babes in skimpy attire but unfortunately many of them are agonizingly slow walkers. I can't fake it and linger behind them at ideal distance, not at 6-4 and prominent. I'll take out a pair sheet and pretend I'm glancing at that but it can't be pulled off all day. Cherish the occasional athletic type with a great caboose who moves briskly. :D

* Be aware that snarls occur on par 3s. Sometimes three groups will be stuck on a tee, especially if it's a long difficult par 3. Often I'll detour to a nearby hole for a few minutes.

* Some holes require crossover from one side of the fairway to another. The marshalls won't allow it when play is imminent. I'll always try to be aware when it's best to loop behind the tee or green to get to the other side, or if the timing is perfect to use the gallery walk.

* IMO, driving range is more interesting than putting green. For one thing, the caddies and high profile media members will be alongside on the driving range, with plenty of interaction. There's more variance in what the players are working on. On the putting green it's typically the player alone, monotonously working on one thing. Vijay sticks a stroke path device on the ground and practices one 4 footer after another.

* Don't underestimate the importance of knowing where the bathrooms and water fountains and porta toilets are, out on the course. Generally they'll be few in number. The food is ripoff price and not the best quality. I like to stuff myself before arriving at the venue, walk it off, then gouge after departing. :pig:

Great job Claire. A good read.

Back