How often do you use your rangefinder, GPS, app to determine distance?

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
I've noticed that this year I've pulled out my rangefinder maybe once or twice. I'm more apt to use the 18Birdies app to get an approximate distance, but other than that I look to see what the course is telling me and pick a club accordingly. Am I technology complacent or just lazy?
Do other people find themselves less reliant on their rangefinder or handheld GPS unit, and switching over to apps or just using the course markers?

Or is this a phenomenon that only crops up if you play a particular course multiple times (like your home CC course) ... which I play moreoften than not?

I use my range finder for everything inside of about 50 yards. My depth perception is awful so its a must.

Ive used apps for courses I havent played before where I may need to "lay up" to a hazard, dogleg, etc

I've noticed that this year I've pulled out my rangefinder maybe once or twice. I'm more apt to use the 18Birdies app to get an approximate distance, but other than that I look to see what the course is telling me and pick a club accordingly. Am I technology complacent or just lazy?
Do other people find themselves less reliant on their rangefinder or handheld GPS unit, and switching over to apps or just using the course markers?

Or is this a phenomenon that only crops up if you play a particular course multiple times (like your home CC course) ... which I play moreoften than not?

I use the Golfshot app every round. My yardage is not dialed in at all. But I try and just get a ballpark range. Within 5 yards or so. I like that I can track my shots in the app too and it gives you an average distance on all your clubs after tracking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use any of the apps so anytime I'm not sure of a yardage, I use my range finder.

I find I use the rangefinder less if a couple guys in the group have them. Most times they're kind enough to share their distance and I can adjust based on the differential.

I use some sort of GPS device on just about every iron shot. Whether it is the golfpad app on my phone or my league partner's bushnell GPS watch I like to know the front/center/back of green yardages

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If it's a strange course, quite often. If it's my home course then very seldom unless I'm in a weird position thanks to a less than satisfactory effort!!

I use it on every approach shot. It's there for me, so why not?

I just got a rangefinder so the jury is out. I did use it a few times over the weekend and plan on using it at the range to find distances to the markers.

Use my handheld GPS for most everything within 225 or so....only pull laser probably 4 times per round. Vast majority of the time I just want to aim center green so GPS is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPS I will glance at my watch as I approach my ball. If I am out of range to get on the green and avoid danger I will usually just use that to gauge what club I am going to hit on my next shot.

If it is in a range where I legitimately have a chance to get on the green, or need to avoid trouble I will pull out the range finder and get my distances dialed in.

Im in the habit now that ill feel uncomfortable not knowing the yardage. Where i find myself in trouble is when i get yardage to the pin but dont look for front/middle/back locations

I use my rangefinder on every hole.

GPS on every hole.

Range finder every hole, get the distance of the flag and done. I used to do the GPS from the phone but it was just a waste of battery and I didn't really care for it.

Everything between 75 and 200 yards so I usually pull it out on every hole. I like to lazer to the flag stick and other possible landing locations or lay up scenarios.

I use my range finder for everything inside of about 50 yards. My depth perception is awful so its a must.

Ive used apps for courses I havent played before where I may need to "lay up" to a hazard, dogleg, etc

assuming you mean you use the rangefinder for everything OUTSIDE 50 yards, then 100% this for me as well. my depth perception isn't awful, but i still like the added confidence knowing the number. i have considered trying to play a round or two without it to see how i do.

assuming you mean you use the rangefinder for everything OUTSIDE 50 yards, then 100% this for me as well. my depth perception isn't awful, but i still like the added confidence knowing the number. i have considered trying to play a round or two without it to see how i do.
yeah sorry, long day lol

GPS watch on every hole at some point.

I use my GPS watch on each shot. One of the main reasons to get my watch was to have it close, take a quick look at the yardage and go.

Quick look at the GPS on every hole, I use GolfBuddy and is easy to see.

Same here.

Use my rangefinder quite often when playing courses other than my home course. Just use it a couple of times per round at my home course.

I use it almost every hole to target the flag or an obstacle to determine potential trouble

I use my rangefinder nearly every shot

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back