How often do you get out to play? (The frustration of not being able to play enough)

Wormkiller

Reaction score
How often do you get in a round?

I average an 18 hole round every 2 weeks I reckon. Maybe 2 rounds every 3 weeks. Limited to weekends only because of work. And weekends are chocked caring for my elderly parents, house duties and trying to spend some quality time with my wife. I get to the practice range about two times a week.

Its frustrating not being able to play more regularly because the nature of golf makes it a game where you can't realistically expect with certainty improvement on a round by round basis. ITs only through playing lots of rounds and tracking general trends. Yet paradoxically its so easy to expect improvement in one round after practicing, and frustrating when these expectations aren't met.

I envy the masses of people who get to play multiple times per week.

Last edited:
If I can play once a week I’m happy. On the rare occasions it’s more I’m very happy

Average of 3-4 weeks get a round in .

There’s a list of competing priorities in front of it …. Work takes a significant slab of time. Etc . Just on the horizon retirement looms which , will be amply filled by golf)

I play 1.5 rounds a week on average.

I play twice a month on average. I have been to the range once this year. I will be playing Sunday for the first time in a month. I hope to break 80 which I do frequently.

I averaged almost 4 rounds a week the first 13 weeks of our season and the last 7 weeks I’ve only played 11 rounds. I’m hoping to play at least 15 rounds in the next 30 days.

Basically as much as I want and as much as my shoulder and back will allow. We have about a 6 month season, and I play 9 holes 2-3 times per week, plus the occasional round of 18.

We play 18 holes every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning. I'll occasionally jump in a Saturday money game or sneak in an extra round here or there.

Normally a few times a week or so. Been a rough year for that in both a time and physical sense. I understand yoru frustration. I think most wish they had the time to improve. And time generally costs somewhere unless you're retired, don't work, family, or just have a schedule that's uniquely suited to getting to play. I can work my schedule a bit, but not just not do the work that needs to be done. So any round tends to just make for a long night. And lately I've been having to try to manage the physical costs. There's never enough time..

The hard part about the game is there are certain phases of life we're able to play as much as we'd like. I started the game right after college and honestly cost was the biggest limiting factor. Then I got married and we had our first kid 2 years later. And another one 4 years later. Golf had to be balanced with family and work. I had one sweet spot when the kids were about 10 and 6 where I had a lot of flexibility with my job. The kids were school age but not quite old enough for an overwhelming extra curricular activity calendar I probably played 45 holes a week for a few years. Then they got into competitive sports and that took over the calendar and wallet.

Now we are empty nesters. But my job makes weekday golf difficult. And the costs have skyrocketed to the point I'm spending 40% more on green fees to play the same amount of golf I played in 2019.

I'm hoping to still be in decent health when I retire and can enjoy playing several days a week.

Try to get in 2-3 rounds a week. Age wise have got to the place that I generally don’t play 2 days straight. Time has never been a problem since I had been retired several years when I started playing.

I try to play once every two weeks at the very least. I'm lucky in that my regular course is less then a mile away from the office so I swing over on my lunch and hit the putting greens or the driving range couple times a week at least. That has been helping me get back to my old form slowly but surely.

Up until a year ago I was playing 4 to 5 times a week with practice when I wasn't playing. Now, I've played about 13 times in 12 months. Life sometimes gets in the way of things.

Mid season, 3 9 hole leagues and at least 18 on the weekend. Now with the leagues winding down and shorter days, I'll be moving indoors during the week, playing 36 indoors (Or whatever, with practice time 6-8 hours per week) and 18 on the course till the snow flies. Indoor leagues starting in early November.

18 holes once a month is the norm.... Very frustrating - I try for 9 holes once a fortnight in the late afternoon but rarely does it work out.

A

I play a full round once a week. I play a few holes as many evenings as I can. I get as much golf as I want.

I definitely wish I could play more, even go to the range more. I’ve been playing maybe twice a month and sprinkle in some range time every now and then. Yeah, work, home life, and other priorities definitely get in the way of being able enjoy this game that takes much time and effort to stay on top of.

I get out 2-3 times per week for at least 9 at our club since we joined this year.

We (my wife and I) work 55-70hrs per week so getting out 2-3 times is pretty decent. I am up early (4-5am) so I usually get off the tee at 6:30am or so and done by 8-8:15.......

Wait….so you’re saying that we can play on that other green grass by the practice facility? Seriously?

I feel your pain. Golf has been unobtainium for me since about March. I’ve got a tee time in 2 weeks and about to pee myself in the meantime. The good news is I’ve been about to carve out a little time at the practice facility and tinkering with putters and whatnot. Earlier this year I decided all I would do is chip. One club, 3 balls, and an hour to fiddle around. At least I was “there” and doing “something”. Turned out to be pretty relaxing and productive. I got to thinking “well damn, I spent 4 hours chipping this past week”. Can’t complain one bit. Got to tinkering with putters and did the same thing.

Wife, kids, parents, work, house, etc., etc…… not a lot of rounds in the cards these days. No biggie, you only get one family and they are more important. It’s a matter of perspective. Golf is the “long game”. I’m happily taking what I can get, feel like I’m improving in a lot of areas, and having fun while doing it. THP’ing helps too.

I play about once a week on average. Towards the end of the season its usually once every two weeks

I'm 68 and started playing at 50. Now that I'm retired I play every day, weather permitting. And, if the weather doesn't permit, I go to the range (we have covered/heated bays, so I can hit balls when it's raining, or in the winter).

I've posted 13 rounds this season. Not often enough.

When I have league.. I get out 1 time a week with 1 time on weekend a month. It is definitely frustrating because I love range time. My wife doesn't mind me playing golf but with the ages of our kids right now I feel bad going out and leaving her alone with those maniacs.

I'm pretty lucky to play at least 9 holes once a week, during the peak times of the summer I try to play more than that. I envy people who get to play year round in nicer climates and really hope to be able to do that some day.

I also envy the older people in my area who play with their spouses. I used to be the exact opposite and enjoyed the fact that my wife didn't golf, but man looking at people as I'm older who golf every single day with their spouse. That looks like fun to me now.

Back