How much of household income is reasonable for a golf club membership?

How much of household income is reasonable for a golf club membership?

• <1%

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • 2-4%

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • 5-7%

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • 8-10%

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • >10%

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
My baseline annual dues are at 1.5%. Factoring in cart rentals and guest fees that I cover it can get closer to 3.0%. I am not going to think about what it is with the bar tabs included...
I didn't count that because if I didn't spend it at the club then I would probably spend the same or more the few times going out to other places. We have pitchers of beer that are pretty reasonable.

Do we include the $150,000 initiation fee in my calculation? 💀
You could move north a little. I know of a club with a much lower initiation. The course and members could be questionable though. :ROFLMAO:

Not sure the boss would ever get on board with that.
Yeah my boss either. Hence why I'm not a member of a club out here

Do we include the $150,000 initiation fee in my calculation? 💀

The large initiation fees are the main reason I’m not going to be joining a country club in Naples where we spend 6+ months each year. I’m ok with the monthly dues at many of these clubs but not the six figure downstroke with zero equity.

I think in Louisville it would cost about $5000 initiation fee and then $300-$400 a month to join a club I would want to join. I am not a member anywhere because that is too much compared to paying $125/month to join the semi private club I can walk out of my backyard and start playing on. That said everyone’s situation is different which makes these conversations hard.

Dunno - think I'd be in the 5-7 percent range. When it's time to get a membership, my kids will be out of the house and I'll be running on fumes till retirement... lol. My wife wouldn't go, so just me at the course (nice spot to have some space) but I'd feel bad if it were a significant amount of money given the need to finish off retirement savings and it be just for me

I think I would work backwards. Where is all the money going before one joins? Maxing out 401k and Roth or Traditional IRAs? Regularly putting money in the kid’s Section 529 plans, if applicable? No debt other than a mortgage and/or car loans? Other day to day expenses (groceries, utilities, insurance, clothing etc) funded?

Once one has accounted for necessities and the future, whatever is left is discretionary income that can go toward “fun.” Some people will have -0- and the poll answer should be 0. Some will have a pile of discretionary money and maybe 10-20% is the answer.

In our situation (retired couple, grown kids), we can pretty much spend whatever we want. I am happy playing with my buddies at the numerous public access course in the SE corner of the Mitten. We chose -0- and blow our money on traveling.

Yeah, this is much more like what Nashville is, though I'm not sure we have a private club that's quite that cheap.

Some of these membership numbers being thrown out are crazy low.
Yeah I wish we had 1 of those options.

I pay $250 a month for unlimited golf, gym, grass range, pitching range, covered bays for inclement weather (heated in the winter), with Top Tracer Range, plus a 9 hole short course and short game practice area. No food/drink minimum. The cheap golf courses in my area charge $65-$85 midweek with a cart. So, $250/mth is a real bargain. Yes, it might get stale playing the same course over and over, but at that price it's well worth it. There is also indoor sims for $20/hr. So if 4 guys are playing it's $5 per person.

South Shore Country Club?

I would say 2-4%, but memberships in this area are a lot cheaper than some of y'all's areas.

Ours is just a touch under 3% of gross income. But it's a not a one size fits all. We max out 2 401Ks and HSAs.. we have a healthy emergency fund. our mortgage is about 15% of our take home pay, no kids, no student loans, etc. I've always been a saver first, definitely on the conservative side of finances. And I had to sell my wife on this - the club membership has no impact on our savings goals (which are aggressive).

If you're a 30 year old couple with kids, mortgage, car payments and student loans at the median income level in the US, then I wouldn't even consider a club membership over 1% of annual.

My club initiation dues were $2600 for the first year. In May when my renewal comes up it will be $180.00/month. Pretty reasonable for two courses (one of which is open year round in a cold climate area).
Thats a crazy good deal!

dang @Gman79 ! If those were the fees near me, I'd be a member already. Sad to say near me I am looking at about 100K initiation - and that's just for a decent course, with yearly dues at about 20K. I just can't justify those kinds of dues.

Of course I live smack dab in the middle of some marque courses like Winged Foot, Westchester Country Club and Sleepy Hollow. which ridiculous fees just pulls every other courses fees up.

At my home club where we both have a membership, we pay around 2.5% in total, which includes locker and trolley storage fees

We don't have things like pools etc, just the course and clubhouse, but it is worth it for us

I think it comes down to whether it's a strain on the budget or not. My wife and I both still work, and a few % would fund a nice membership. I don't have one because...well, we're usually working.

In a few years, our income will be zero and I'll have a membership at a nice club.

I've only a single golfer plan at our semi-private club. Dues/cart/range package totals only 1.1% or our annual gross income. No initiation, no minimums.

But what I actually pay, on average, imbibing, eating, (modest) tournament/team outlay, is closer to 3%. But I've won back probably 30% of the extra money so far this year.

If one is single and without a care other then golf, I think the number could be 10% or more and be the right number. For those with families and all kinds of financial obligations, it could be very low. If someone is pulling down major dollars, I think it is possible to fund everything well and spend a nice chunk on golf.

Kinda surprised, figuring Charlotte would be less expensive. I'm really fortunate as there is nothing like what I have anywhere else around. Not even close. If I had to pay $70 every time I played one of the local muni's, I wouldn't be playing much golf. And, the other private clubs in my area are cost prohibitive. For example there are two private clubs within 10 minutes of my house. The first one requires an invitation to join and I heard the initiation fee is $100,000, the other is around $50,000. At least that was what I was told.
Green fees post Covid are crazy in my area. I used to play on the weekends for some between $45 and $75. Now it is a minimum $75 and goes up quickly.

I am spending about $500 a month on Green fees. About what I would have spent on monthlies 10 years ago. Sure they are higher now.
Ours is just a touch under 3% of gross income. But it's a not a one size fits all. We max out 2 401Ks and HSAs.. we have a healthy emergency fund. our mortgage is about 15% of our take home pay, no kids, no student loans, etc. I've always been a saver first, definitely on the conservative side of finances. And I had to sell my wife on this - the club membership has no impact on our savings goals (which are aggressive).

If you're a 30 year old couple with kids, mortgage, car payments and student loans at the median income level in the US, then I wouldn't even consider a club membership over 1% of annual.

I read this and did the thing every parent does occasionally when you wistfully imagine the financial situation without kids.....sigh.

But they are all worth it. (some days)

I had to agree to get a dog to get my wife on board with the initiation fee for my club.
Funny that you say that. Our dogs are my wife's "golf". She spends both Saturday and Sunday doing training for scent detection for one (our lab) and just taking walks with our other one (pit bull).

I don't need permission to golf on the weekends because she's gone anyway and the training classes aren't exactly free. Our bills are paid and we live life. If either of us need the other to cancel for an event, neither does much huffing about it because it's usually important. I'm fortunate enough that our activities aren't really a stress on our finances and, honestly, I can't think of another activity that would make me happier for any less money. 🤷‍♂️

Green fees post Covid are crazy in my area. I used to play on the weekends for some between $45 and $75. Now it is a minimum $75 and goes up quickly.
The same thing here after Covid. Everything golf related seems to be more expensive now.

It's whatever you want it to be . If you can afford and scrape by, Do it . You have seen others own that 45K suv and only make 27k a year , if they can do it. So can you

Back