How much is too much top line equipment?

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As background I am a former club champion and club maker back in day who is also a Veteran (gets substantial PXG discount - highly appreciated) and bottom line have never paid full manufacturers price any piece of equipment but might soon on a Sachs Pariente or other innovative putter. I do scout out used and son used to work at a 2nd Swing and still fills in occasionally there. I have a fine income as a doctor but refuse to pay what I feel are in some cases substantially inflated prices on at best slight changes in tech that truly affect performance.

Here are my current “rules”:

1. No driver should cost more than $300 unless perhaps fully adjustable with a shaft upgrade might go 399 max. Price includes fitting which IMO has to be done. My latest great driver from PXG was 265$ as an example but also have had a Titkeist S3 have given to son got $350 and he got an upgraded shaft changed out for free and smokes it. I also tried a demo Ping 400 that was decent under $300. All fine drivers.
2. No iron set 4 or 5 through wedge is worth more than $750 max and great sets from sub 70 as one example, and often just barely used can be gotten for that. Globalgolf.com and Callaway preowned, 2nd Swing, and many other sites have deals including trade in options. My current PXG 0211s were about $650 shipped and fitted and are great so far and got an Accra shaft that is superb on testing. I could see maybe going a little higher but would have to be proved in a fitting that going above $750 will pay off. I am a good iron player and my primary goal currently is to reduce dispersion and not pick up substantial distance at my senior age (hybrids can gap a distance if needed).
3. No other wedge is normally worth over $100 as can always get either a great pre-owned or a discount on a late model. Most I have paid for a great used wedge is about $60 - partial to Vokeys personally but have several others. I picked up a Tom Watson Ram Grind at a Dicks Sporting Goods that other than defunct Ram name is about as nice a balanced and well performing club as I have had in bag. I paid $39 for it.
4. No fairway wood should cost more than $200 as one of easiest to find same as 4 above.
5. Hybrids are very easy to get quality used about $100 but I did go $180 for a PXG that us only a little upgrade from a Diablo that one could get now for about $50.
I still look at Golfworks on occasion and can build iron sets very cost effective and might do that again someday.

Putters is the one exception as believe a fitting is key and I am considering a price point over $400 for a Sachs Pariente and going to go through a Club Champion fitting soon. I bag a many years old Scotty (series 62) that still functions ok but is dated; and I am going to see what else they fit as am still resisting paying that much unless true upgrade. I honestly will have to think very hard before going above $250 but might budge as the flat stick so crucial.

Would add when shopping again will look at entire Ben Hogan line as stunning in appearance and appear to be pretty cost effective and played Hogan’s for years and can be fitted for them.

Last edited:
Those are some hard and fast rules. Hopefully they work for you.
Do you think we could apply them to everything? Say medical visits?

Kidding of course, but I just do not agree with that at all. The good news is prices that hit all spectrums are available be it through older equipment or pre-owned stuff or through companies that don't have R&D expenses.

Those are some hard and fast rules. Hopefully they work for you.
Do you think we could apply them to everything? Say medical visits?

Kidding of course, but I just do not agree with that at all. The good news is prices that hit all spectrums are available be it through older equipment or pre-owned stuff or through companies that don't have R&D expenses.

They are my rules and have worked so far but may bend on putter especially and this site might sway me otherwise on other items. Hardest club for me to find so far is an upgrade on old Titleist 4wood (906 18 degrees) and believe me I have tried a lot so far. The golf industry is booming so there will be some inflation in all categories of equipment likely- and I do encourage shopping for cost effective medical care but that sadly is much more complex! Thanks what you and others on site greatly inform on - I have a small bonus coming end of year and could be swayed to change gears but will always shop around and test a lot first. Respect!

They are my rules and have worked so far but may bend on putter especially and this site might sway me otherwise on other items. Hardest club for me to find so far is an upgrade on old Titleist 4wood (906 18 degrees) and believe me I have tried a lot so far. The golf industry is booming so there will be some inflation in all categories of equipment likely- and I do encourage shopping for cost effective medical care but that sadly is much more complex! Thanks what you and others on site greatly inform on - I have a small bonus coming end of year and could be swayed to change gears but will always shop around and test a lot first. Respect!

You mention fitted, but what does fitted mean to you?

If cost is the primary concern there is no reason to ever buy a new club.
You can also get huge discounts new quality fitted clubs or custom ordered clubs and if looking again would consider Sub 70 Hogan’s and others- main thing is to test and if possible get fitting. Cobra and Tour Edge new often decent buys and there are others certainly. This site is great as it brings up diverse choices.

You mention fitted, but what does fitted mean to you?
I paid $50 for one hour full set range test with monitor as well with PXG and personally well worth it but have used lessor fittings in past but at least 5 balls on a monitor has usually been done. Shaft choices so many now it pays to test even if a cost unless there is an extended testing period.

Equipment (club) prices are relative to one's pocket book.

I've been comfortably retired fo 13 years, but at that comfort level, I wouldn't pay very much for a set of clubs. Certainly not much more than $600-$700 for 12-13 clubs. I think buying quality, playable equipment in that price range (or less) is still doable.

If I were in the market for newer technology, I'm thinking I would go the component route for my (4) metal woods, a properly fitted oem iron (5/6-SW) set. I'd continue to use my current, trusty (free) putter. Maybe at later date, add a matching wedge for under $100.

I still remember my very first swing lesson. It was group type thing. There was 6, or 8 of us there. All of us had different priced sets of clubs. Mine were one of the cheaper sets. The instructor took my 5i, and hit several great shots with it. His point was that it was the golfer's swing that made them a decent golfer. Not the price of their clubs. That piece of advice has stuck with me all these years.

I have an annual golf budget that shrinks or increases depending on how things work out for us on the financial front. I typically set it in Jan/Feb and it has to last the entire year and cover everything golf related (clothing, clubs, accessories, subscriptions, green fees, even the beer on the course). I've always stayed within that budget, so sometimes I may splurge on a piece of equipment or a new pair of shoes. Others, I happily roll with what I have.

I think people definitely have different budgets depending on where they are at and what makes sense to them. If you are comfortable and happy, then perfect! The nice thing is that the golf equipment spectrum has lots of different price points so you'll always be able to find something that fits your needs and budgets

I paid $50 for one hour full set range test with monitor as well with PXG and personally well worth it but have used lessor fittings in past but at least 5 balls on a monitor has usually been done. Shaft choices so many now it pays to test even if a cost unless there is an extended testing period.

Admire what you've done. I am not that disciplined but you may be missing out on some equipment fun. And what is overpriced is an opinion, which we all have and is valid to our own game.

Just to compare what I've done.. spent too much money, but it's a hobby. The only PXG club I've kept and played for almost 5 yrs is the 4 and 5 Hybrid (do not game the 5 any longer), but they are getting competition from the TEE EXS 220 - which are almost half the price even with the current PXG pricing. Do they need replacing? No, but one of my sons will get a great hybrid or two.

My Driver fitting was one hour by itself - head, loft, shaft, adjustments, swing weight on Trackman hitting from a garage bay to an outside range. I've played that driver for 3 yrs. Don't need to change but will try out new ones next year. Driver $300, Shaft $300

My iron fitting was two hours - inside on Foresight. I keep irons for 3 yrs so far - would like to keep them for 5 yrs. For a custom setup and graphite shaft made by a OCD clubmaker, I pay about $250/club.

My first Edel putter fitting was about an hour in 2009 but use the one I was fitted in 2014 - $300

Wedges about an hour for Edel hitting on real grass and Trackman - now that I know more about wedges, I get the wedge and the Nippon Pro Modus 3 115 shaft - and go on Trackman. If needed, instructor grinds the sole to get more spin - better contact. I don't buy used wedges because I like fresh grooves - typically I will buy an extra high lofted wedge as a range wedge so my gamer 58-60, which I use the most, has fresh grooves.

Fairways and Hybrids - the OEM shafts never fit me. I buy for the head, pull the shaft, install the shaft from my old head and see how it goes on the monitor. Same with hybrid. I typically buy TE Exotics for Fwys and Hybrids - the Fwys work for me. The new Hybrid EXS 220, is promising. I typically keep them at least 3-5 yrs if I like them and until something superior comes out.

I have purchased at Callaway Preowned and have used them a lot but have strayed from Callaway over the last 3 yrs.

Different Strokes - my former irons and putters are going to the Classifieds for sale.

As to your putter, I would start with aim - have your fitter do a laser test of where you point the putter and test to see if you are actually pointing it there. That is a start. Then do a line test of say, 20 feet, where you putt to a string - if too short or long, then you adjust head weight and shaft counterweight until you go slightly past the string. Good luck.

And seriously, a 906 4 wood is the best you can do? Sorry, but better options exist, and at our mature age (I am 65), hotter faces and more forgiving with a fitted shaft is the better way to go. If you can't find something better, you ain't trying - and try a 5 wd at the 18 loft.

Last edited:
We each have our own ways of doing things and in which we choose to spend our discretionary income. It is obvious that the majority of golf equipment consumers do not feel that equipment is priced too high or it would not be flying off the shelves, but I think it’s great that you have a way that works for you and applaud your discipline.

i don’t think your rules for brand new equipment with the most innovation are reasonable. OEMs are using more expensive materials like tungsten and some aerospace grade composites. they’re investing massive dollars into supercomputers and 3d printing. all while labor costs continue to increase.

there are cheaper options. and they make a fine product. but to say you want a mercedes for the cost of a kia is unreasonable. but for many of us, it’s not just about getting from point a to point b.

As if we need more rules to live by. I don't get it.

I think the market for golf equipment is....well the market for golf equipment. It costs what people will pay for it at all levels. As an economist the market seems to be extremely efficient as there is ample competition and the market clears inventory at an efficient rate. There is also a robust secondary market with eBay and other outlets such as 2nd Swing and CPO.

Simply stating that you won't pay more than $300 for a driver is not evidence that the market for drivers is overpriced because there are plenty of people who will and you also have options to find high quality products in your price window. Seems like nothing to complain about there other than you are mad that the very latest and greatest is not $300. To be perfectly honest the golf companies cannot be blamed for that. You need to give the members of this board the tongue lashing here because we are the ones who generate the demand for clubs that sustains those prices.

i don’t think your rules for brand new equipment with the most innovation are reasonable. OEMs are using more expensive materials like tungsten and some aerospace grade composites. they’re investing massive dollars into supercomputers and 3d printing. all while labor costs continue to increase.

there are cheaper options. and they make a fine product. but to say you want a mercedes for the cost of a kia is unreasonable. but for many of us, it’s not just about getting from point a to point b.
Respect highly opinion but from a lot of testing very little new seems to make a dramatic quantitative difference as there have now been decades of advances. Many great clubs out there and these are my own guidelines but may certainly bend time to time if something proves better. Prices sure to go up with boom so may have to alter ranges but I have superb bag for me right now total cost well under $1500 and more like $1200.

The robust secondary market is what helps many buy new equipment at the higher price points. It is a win-win because people can buy some great/used equipment at good prices that then enables the people that want to buy the newest stuff out there.

I don’t have any rules. I just encourage people to play what they want and have fun. I have one buddy that loves getting new equipment every few months and talks about what the $600 driver is doing for him with a twinkle in his eye. I have another friend that gets most of his equipment joy from finding smoking deals on used stuff and loves to talk about his $200 driver being the best he ever played; I am not sure he would even like golf all that much if it weren’t for the hunt for good equipment at great prices.

Last edited:
I think the market for golf equipment is....well the market for golf equipment. It costs what people will pay for it at all levels. As an economist the market seems to be extremely efficient as there is ample competition and the market clears inventory at an efficient rate. There is also a robust secondary market with eBay and other outlets such as 2nd Swing and CPO.

Simply stating that you won't pay more than $300 for a driver is not evidence that the market for drivers is overpriced because there are plenty of people who will and you also have options to find high quality products in your price window. Seems like nothing to complain about there other than you are mad that the very latest and greatest is not $300. To be perfectly honest the golf companies cannot be blamed for that. You need to give the members of this board the tongue lashing here because we are the ones who generate the demand for clubs that sustains those prices.
You make salient points thanks

Respect highly opinion but from a lot of testing very little new seems to make a dramatic quantitative difference as there have now been decades of advances. Many great clubs out there and these are my own guidelines but may certainly bend time to time if something proves better. Prices sure to go up with boom so may have to alter ranges but I have superb bag for me right now total cost well under $1500 and more like $1200.

another source of golf content i consume has said a well-fitted driver should be good for 3-5 years, and a well-fitted set of irons 5-7 years. older than that and you are lagging behind technology. and before anyone says "well crossfield tested it and there was no difference" or "shiels says a 10 year old driver is just as good as a brand new driver" that's just not true when strikes stray from the middle. cor may be approaching the max out of the middle, but companies are making huge strides on maintaining ball speed and consistency on off-center strikes.

also, new and shiny is fun :)

And I am still searching for a great hopefully cost effective 18 degree FW that is adjustable -been the “holy grail” of filling bag as bagging old 906 by Titleist so I can be adaptable to price if great improvement.

And I am still searching for a great hopefully cost effective 18 degree FW that is adjustable -been the “holy grail” of filling bag as bagging old 906 by Titleist so I can be adaptable to price if great improvement.

Callaway CPO MAVRIK or Mav Subzero for less than $200 with a return policy.

Tour Edge EXS 220 -www.touredge.com You can buy from various online retailers. But tour edge has a return policy

There are a lot more ... but those are two I know. Getting the shaft right is difficult.

I would comment on this that if everyone takes this attitude then R&D would slow and innovation would slow as well.

Your attitude is certainly viable. I like equipment and don't mind spending the money on it. When I had less disposable funds I treated things largely the way you do today.

I too look for deals or value when purchasing......don't really have hard/fast rules on amount but I try not to pay full boat. I'll trade clubs in towards a purchase or as DataDude suggested, use eBay from a trusting account. I grabbed a set of Titleist T200 4-gw that would have cost in retail store 1500 after tax , these were 945 shipped! So even though these don't fall completely under your 750 line, to me the value is there. 2017 mg wedges new marked down to 109 each ......after trading in 4 wedges that weren't working, I paid 60 bucks OTD
Last was a brand new hybrid.....2012 adams xtd super ......non adjustable but that's ok.....30 shipped and it works like a charm!

There are certainly deals to be had out there but if someone wants and can afford to sticker, more power to them!

I would comment on this that if everyone takes this attitude then R&D would slow and innovation would slow as well.

Your attitude is certainly viable. I like equipment and don't mind spending the money on it. When I had less disposable funds I treated things largely the way you do today.
I personally have plenty of income just don’t see extra value in some current products but will shift opinion for right clubs, and am considering a lot on a putter but only if can test and get fitted. Respect

Callaway CPO MAVRIK or Mav Subzero for less than $200 with a return policy.

Tour Edge EXS 220 -www.touredge.com You can buy from various online retailers. But tour edge has a return policy

There are a lot more ... but those are two I know. Getting the shaft right is difficult.

Definitely will consider made an albatross with a Callaway FW back in day and have tried Tour Edge stuff and it is pretty good.

Back