How much consideration do you give wedge shafts?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you give your wedge shafts much thought? Do you roll with stock? Or just play what always has worked?

I am a believer in wedge shafts. Each set I immediately throw in some UST Wedge Protos. If I am running low on those I usually go heavier than what my irons are in the same profile.

Probably not enough, but I ordered what my fitter suggested (softer than what I played last year), and it's working out pretty well for me so far this go round.

I know this is not the correct answer. I'm a little OCD. So, I make my wedge shafts match my iron shafts.

Almost always stock. The one time I deviated and tried a Steelfiber I could not get it to gap at all. So back to stock…

A

I have now put two of the BGT ZNE shafts into my wedges. The 115 gram in my gap wedge and the 130 gram in my lob wedge.

I’m liking them a lot and will be on the lookout for another shaft to put into my sand wedge.

I just went through a wedge fitting for the 2024 Vokey Experience and he recommended I match the shaft in my 50* to all my other irons but put the stock S200 in the 54 and 58's.

Whatever is in it when I buy it used (never bought a new wedge), I just make sure it’s the flex I want.

Not much. Stock, lighter weight graphite shafts would be the consideration for me.

I know this is not the correct answer. I'm a little OCD. So, I make my wedge shafts match my iron shafts.
Yeah, same. But I'm CDO.

When I had a Titleist fitting last September, I must’ve tried five different shafts, including my Steelfiber iron steelfibers as well as a few steel shafts. It was noticeable that the shaft I ended up with was the S200 steel which was by far the best for consistent face contact. It was surprisingly noticeable how much the shaft made a difference in delivering it to the ball.

Is too much an acceptable answer?

I didn’t until my wedge fitting. The fitter kept talking about getting everything dialed in for consistency. I’ve never really paid much attention to my short game shots ball flights until he said that. The shaft was as important as finding the right grind for my swing.

Pretty much just go whatever the stock shaft is.

Non stock for me. I prefer to have my wedge shafts a little softer, and a smidge heavier, than my iron shafts. If I’m hitting delicate little pitches or chips I don’t need a piece of rebar in my hands.

I matched the wedge shafts to my iron shafts.

I need to reshaft my gap with the same shaft I’ll have in my irons - once that shootout is settled. Then for the 54 and 59 I’ll go the same shaft but heavier.

I have them match my iron set because I use them for full shots pretty often.

I just roll with stock most times, so not enough thought.

The only real thought I put into my wedge shafts was sticking with graphite and going slightly heavier than the shafts in my irons. So far I am a happy golfer with this wedge shaft approach.

I have the same in my wedges as I do my irons - Recoil 95F4s.

I do have some 110F4 Protos I’ve thought about putting in.

Interesting you should ask.
I just picked up a used 56* wedge with the DG 115 spinner, and I hate the shaft. Don’t like the balance point, at least that’s the feel. It’s also giving me elbow pain.
I’ve been playing KBS HiRev 2.0 115 for a couple of years in my wedge w/o issue. Two practice sessions with the Spinner and my right elbow is bothered.
I play graphite in my irons. Different sets, one with MMT 60 and the other w/ Tensei white 75 reg.
steelfibers for several years prior.
Looking at MMT 85 for my 56*, or another HiRev 2.0

I got them to match my irons this time

Bored Paul Rudd GIF

Back