How long does it take for you to get loose?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
I’m getting too damn old. One thing I’ve really picked up on while swinging in the garage is that it takes me a bit to get loose enough to feel like I’m swinging up to my normal speed. Maybe it’s partially that I haven’t gotten into a real groove yet in terms of the season starting, because normally I’d walk to the tee, take 3-4 swings, and go. How about you guys? How long till feel warm for a round of golf? Do you do anything special to prep for the round?

Either 5 minutes on the range or chipping, or three holes on the course 🤣

I used to hit a large bucket of range balls to get loosened up but haven’t always had the time. Lately I’ve been implementing the GolfForever exercises to help stretch and get loose and have seen good results.

I focus more on stretching than swinging before a round. I make sure that I take the time to stretch before playing.

A lot of times my warmup consists of a couple swings on the first tee before I put a peg in the ground. I'm used to it, so I don't have any problem with it.

Maybe not coincidentally, my first tee shot is often one of my better of the day - I'm still tight and can't overswing.

About 25 swings. Hopefully they’re on a range and not having to be the first 5-6 holes

• Staff
Longer than I'm used to...

I've really noticed this spring that my morning front 9s are rough as my back is pretty stiff jumping right out of bed. I've been thinking about it and decided I'm going to try to walk for 30 minutes before hitting the range to help loosen things up better.

I’m getting too damn old. One thing I’ve really picked up on while swinging in the garage is that it takes me a bit to get loose enough to feel like I’m swinging up to my normal speed. Maybe it’s partially that I haven’t gotten into a real groove yet in terms of the season starting, because normally I’d walk to the tee, take 3-4 swings, and go. How about you guys? How long till feel warm for a round of golf? Do you do anything special to prep for the round?
If I can't warm up for a minimum of 30 minutes (with at least 20 minutes of that being full swing), forget it. I'm shooting at the high end (or way above) my handicap. I've got a problematic shoulder that requires a full warm up (and stretch). Those first few full on swings are straight up f***ing painful. I eventually work past it but "warming up" on the course? You can count on the first 6 holes being a train wreck. After that, the defeatist mentality kicks in and the odds of recovering are extremely low.

Maybe 5-7 swings? The first 3 or 4 are just loosening up my back and shoulders. Then a couple that are actually trying to make a good swing.

It’s been high 30s low 40s at my tee times lately, so maybe a little less than that in the warmer months.

I can almost always be ready just by 2-3 minutes of slow, then medium, then full speed practice swings on the first tee.

But some days it takes a little longer and I'm never sure when it's going to be "one of those days". So I generally allow myself a few extra minutes to do a couple upper body stretches, as well as the practice swings.

Longer and longer. Last year when I was hitting balls a few times a week and playing 2 or 3 times a week, 15-20 balls beforehand on top of the stretching I do was more or less enough. This year is still early but that wasn’t enough yesterday. Today, Easter dinner ran very late and I had 10 or swings with the Orange Whip and a few stretches. No bueno. Hands were already killing me. I never got loose and struggled to find a swing.

I’ll need to do a better job of giving myself time this year it seems. I’m going to get hand warmers to help with my hands.

It takes me several swings to get going. Would like to get them before the first tee, but that is not always possible. One exercise that helps in a pinch is doing 10-15 body weight squats.

Too long it seems, but I’ll echo @DataDude in that a few squats seems to wake everything up pretty quick

One exercise that helps in a pinch is doing 10-15 body weight squats.
yep I do these and some dog peeing sort of maneuvers with my hips and legs.

Too long it seems, but I’ll echo @DataDude in that a few squats seems to wake everything up pretty quick
Going to have to try these this year... Sounds invigorating. Lol.

I’m going to get hand warmers to help with my hands.
My wife gave me a giant box of these for xmas after she got sick of me blowing her off about them.

I have to admit she was right though. They are awesome.

7 or 8 holes. I'm a mess.

Great topic. I am definitely going to put together a pre golf warmup , at least on the weekends .

Sometimes never. Usually a very slow starter any more 3-4 holes of absolute rubbish. Even after a range session.

I only need about 8 swings. I take a SW (2 swings), 7 iron (2 swings), hybrid (2 swings), and a driver (2 swings) to the range, then I go putt 3-5 balls to see how the greens are rolling.

Way too long now- I need to stretch for about 5 minutes to be able to do much of anything these days. A bunch of toe touches, baseball swings and a squat or two to get the body ready to go.

I’m 41. Swing speed when everything is working is 110. But it takes me a good 30-50 swings to get going well, I start with wedges and hit 5-10, then 9i then 6i and 7W and finish with full on driver swings.

some of you are making me feel better about feeling old.

Back