How does you salary look compared to this?

Yeah not to derail but she'll obviously be fine with her 28M shoe deal.

The only time i think it's a bit unfair is let's say the next TV deal and labor negos are several years away, the people 5 years from now will benefit from her popularity , but she will make 80K a year until then. I feel like the WNBA probably could've negotiated a better TV deal this offseason if they had the chance, but often contracts are locked in for X years.
Could they? The WNBA ratings have been abysmal forever and even going up last year over 20% it’s barely half a million people watching.

I’m not sure it has been profitable, but funded by a more popular league.

I’m for more money, but it’s simply supply and demand. There has never been demand to even have it on tv let alone pay more. Less than a decade ago they couldn’t crack 200k viewers. They also had highest attendance ever cracking 6k fans on average. Before that it was absolutely vacant.

If we want better pay, people have the ability to do that by tuning in.

Could they? The WNBA ratings have been abysmal forever and even going up last year over 20% it’s barely half a million people watching.

I’m not sure it has been profitable, but funded by a more popular league.

I’m for more money, but it’s simply supply and demand. There has never been demand to even have it on tv let alone pay more. Less than a decade ago they couldn’t crack 200k viewers. They also had highest attendance ever cracking 6k fans on average. Before that it was absolutely vacant.

If we want better pay, people have the ability to do that by tuning in.

Historically it's been unprofitable and no one watched. It will be interesting to see if Caitlin (and Paige Bueckers next year) bring more interest. There is reason for some optimism, the games on ESPN drew 12-14M viewers in the NCAA tournament, and Clark already has the highest selling WNBA jersey of all time i believe

I watched the WNBA in the early years and the basketball was pretty bad. It was people shot put heaving 3-pters and missing layups. It's possible 3-4 years from now if Caitlin becomes a star in the league (and Paige and others) if they could draw more interest. Possibly, no.....but i think there's also a chance

Historically it's been unprofitable and no one watched. It will be interesting to see if Caitlin (and Paige Bueckers next year) bring more interest. There is reason for some optimism, the games on ESPN drew 12-14M viewers in the NCAA tournament, and Clark already has the highest selling WNBA jersey of all time i believe

I watched the WNBA in the early years and the basketball was pretty bad. It was people shot put heaving 3-pters and missing layups. It's possible 3-4 years from now if Caitlin becomes a star in the league (and Paige and others) if they could draw more interest. Possibly, no.....but i think there's also a chance
Oh she is a star no question and will bring ratings early but we are talking about a league that has had viewership that equals public access TV and wants a raise?

Oh she is a star no question and will bring ratings early but we are talking about a league that has had viewership that equals public access TV and wants a raise?

I don't think she should get a raise right now, no way. I'm totally fine with the 76K as it's fair. What i was saying was that let's say she elevates the league and people do start watching it --They are likely locked into these CBAs for a number of years. Like if millions of people watch the Fever in the WNBA finals in 2 years and she's making 81K, that'd be kinda weird. But we're not there yet and may never be

I don't think she should get a raise right now, no way. I'm totally fine with the 76K as it's fair. What i was saying was that let's say she elevates the league and people do start watching it --They are likely locked into these CBAs for a number of years. Like if millions of people watch the Fever in the WNBA finals in 2 years and she's making 81K, that'd be kinda weird. But we're not there yet and may never be
It will be there for the first couple of weeks.
But the alternative is a simple one too. If they didn’t lock them in for multiple years, a handful of years ago minimum wage would have been too much based solely on viewers

So I need to go in and tell my bosses I need to be paid by the shot when I am on the golf couse..... and I take A LOT more shots than scotty....

Think Season 2 GIF by NBC

It's shocking how many ignore this to make an argument on TV shows.

Tell your group chat to look up the Nike contract. She will be ok. Also... make sure they buy Indiana season tix.
Oh I know - that was part of the endorsement part. That doesn't change how people like to make mountains out of incomplete or inaccurate data and rally against it.

I have a feeling it'll grow, there are some amazing talents moving into the WNBA; but to counter point my own argument (other than CC22) there have been some great talents and they have not made the dent that maybe their talent deserves.

WNBA from years ago to now is a lot different, but the viewership is still very low.

I've re-negotiated a number of CBA's, or articles within, in the midst of the contract, it's absolutely a possibility. We, as the employer, always have initiated them and they have always been to help the labor side, usually in response to something economic that was unforeseen when we were at the table the first time.

Ted makes more than me too(and rory lol)

Oh I know - that was part of the endorsement part. That doesn't change how people like to make mountains out of incomplete or inaccurate data and rally against it.
I guess the part that drives me nuts is people telling other people how to spend their money. If you don't like the salaries (and yes... they are overpaid already based on revenue) then buy a team and change it.

I try to shy away from this discussion because I don't want to come off as something I'm not. I'm all for equal pay regardless of any sex, race, etc. Heck... I'm married to a woman who makes a lot more money than I do and it bothers me none. But every time I turn on the TV recently this discussion comes up w/ as you said... no facts or merit to it.

I’ve been a teacher for 27 years and not totaled what he makes in a single start. I’m gonna go sit in a corner and cry now.
Fellow teacher here also. I can definitely relate. I looked up the payout for a tournament awhile back. The player that finished in 35th place makes what I make in a year. They compete four days. I mean, I know there is still practice and all that. But wow, 35th place and make what I make in a year.

Man, if I had Scottie's type of money, I could at least pay the interest on everything I owe.

To be perfectly candid, he makes more than me
This can’t be right.

Are you factoring in the free t-shirts from those team building exercises?

(Egyptian cotton… cha-ching!)

Back