How do proritize strategy and order of play when preparing for alt shot?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
Look at tee shots?
Par 3s?
Work from the green backwards?
Maximize the"better" golfer?
Something else?

flip a coin? I've never actually played alt shot, will be interested in reading these answers.

Tee. You can't plan for the greens. The only shot you have a little control over is the first one usually. Who tees which.

Flip a coin

I've never played Alt Shot but I would think you would prioritize off the Tee, especially any Par 3's or forced carries.

It depends on talent discrepancy i think. I play in a regular event with a friend of mine who is a 12 index. We always want me hitting the shot into the green as much as possible.

My friend does OK off the tee, he doesn't hit it super long but he's often in play.

So he almost always tees off and i hit the approaches

@blazinden and I are still trying to figure that out😂

In all seriousness, there’s a million different ways to strategize. At the end of the day, all you can really do is just plan for the first hole and hope the rest works out. I think the key is getting off to a strong start so pick the person who is most likely to find the fairway that day, unless you’re starting on a par 5.

We have a couple of alternate shot events at my club. Generally we look at tee shots including par 3s and see if there are any holes that it makes a big difference for. The guy I usually play those events with is longer off the tee than I am and we have a couple of par 4s where it makes a big difference to be longer so we try to set him up to drive on those holes. If it is a course you know and there are holes you don’t really like the tee shots on then try to factor that in to selection.

Mostly the key is to not get tight. Just relax, swing the golf club and most importantly have fun. We also have a no apologies rule. Nobody is trying to hit bad shots So don’t feel like you have to apologize after you miss a shot.

Just don't hit it into the weeds and shrubs lol

sorry @Wildcat :ROFLMAO:

See how the team is playing after Shamble and then assess over a whiskey... or fresca.

1. Where do you have to be in play off the tee. Find the holes that have trouble off the tee and put the best driver there.
2. Distance advantage. Find where the longer player can do their damage
3. Pray

If by chance the par 3's line up on evens or odds then give the better iron player the par 3's. Outside of that, don't over think it and flip a coin.

When planning Alt Shot, I have always focused on who is taking the 2nd shot on what hole. Dont really need added length off the tee, if a stronger player can get home in two on the Par 5s.

Par 3s are typically even.

So focus on the harder 4's and who's strength sets up for those.

I generally look at the Par 4's and mostly the longer Par 4's. I they fall on the same odd/even sequence, then longer, "or better" player hits those. If they fall on different, then i always suggest flipping a coin on first tee box. Most of the ones i play in tend to be odd/even tee offs. But if its truly ALT SHOT and whomever holes the putt, the other tees off, it really doesn't matter

Tees were the deciding factor.
My Partner was much better off the Tee so looking at the longer holes and figuring it out from there.

You think you understand alt shot until you go to Muirfield and play the Scottish 36 day. Was there once and we were playing well and really fast but the group behind was up our arse like nothing I'd experienced before. So we stood aside. And they just flew by. Dudes were aware were next shot would be and were there almost prior to ball being there. It was insane to watch. We played in 2 1/2 hours as a 4some and they were long gone.

@blazinden and I are still trying to figure that out😂

In all seriousness, there’s a million different ways to strategize. At the end of the day, all you can really do is just plan for the first hole and hope the rest works out. I think the key is getting off to a strong start so pick the person who is most likely to find the fairway that day, unless you’re starting on a par 5.
And alt shot was the one we didn't worry about going into Budget Champs.

Whoever is better off the tee that morning can start it off. Worse case, flip a coin.

If you're worried about your partners ball being different than your gamer, play a middle of pack ball during alt shot. If not, play the persons ball off the tee and don't worry about it.

I've only played alternate shot once and I can confidently say that neither of us were good enough to have any consideration matter at all in the outcome of the match.

Another question is whether it's "true" alternate shot or modified where both players tee off.

If it's true alternate shot there's a lot less strategy because you don't really have a choice

focus on the tee shots, that's what you can control

Driving accuracy off the tee and who is most comfortable teeing off on Par 3s (helps if Par 3s are both even or odd holes). You need to have one in play on Hole #1. It reduces pressure going forward.

When I played with @eddywhitaker we looked at how we could best utilize his distance off the tee.
this is true, and it went great for most holes..I let you down on some though

Back