How did you pick your ball?

Dan44

Morgan Cup 2022 Team Paradise
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ive been trying to find one ball that i like and works for me. Ive tried pro v1/x/left dash, bstone x/xs, callaway max/max ls and theyve all performed well at some point lol. Problem is i can never really tell which is best for me or i like the most. I cant test them all on a range and i feel like on course testing is somewhat random depending on whether you made a good or bad swing, course, weather, etc and you can only tell so much on a practice green. I dont want to pay $40 for the online thing and dont know my exact numbers.
For those of you that only play one type of ball how did you come to your decision? A great round(s) or shot? Fitting? Online fitting?

I've always enjoyed trying various golf balls. But when I'm not trying something different just for the fun of trying something different, I always come back to Pro V1x. Nothing else has turned out to work better, most others don't suit me quite as well.

The way I found it was I attended an event where the entry fee included a two rounds of golf, dinner after each round and a box of 2013 Pro V1x balls with the event logo on them. I'd never really thought of "Pro V1x" as the kind of ball that would work well for a high-teens handicapper with a low clubhead speed and rudimentary short game. But since I had them, what the heck I teed one up on the opening hole of the weekend.

It honestly flew higher off my driver, just as long and just as straight as any ball I'd ever tried and I loved the way it helped approach shots on really firm greens land under some semblance of control. Also the firm feel (sound) of it suited my preference. Later I came to like the little extra quotient of spin and control it offers on wedge shots inside 75-80 yards.

So as I said, one model or another of Pro V1x has been my ball for probably 75-80% of my rounds over the past nine years. Going forward, I expect that proportion to be higher. After playing golf for three decades and being a club-ho and ball-ho for at least half that time, I'm gradually losing interest in the whole "let's try a new ball and see what happens" temptation. I don't actually at this point think there is a such thing as a better ball for me, although I know there are a few which are very close to be equivalent. It still feels firm, flies high, spins plenty and it even comes in yellow now (which my aging eyes appreciate more and more).

@rehbirdie told me I should while he fitted me. The Tour B RX is a great all around ball and I love having the consistency of just using 1 ball for my rounds. I do tinker and have tried some of the lower spin balls that have come out recently but only put them into play for really windy days.

I test them indoors and out. Whittle it down pretty quick and then put them on the course. Before I really had that as an option I just tried them. Paid a lot of attention to ball flights, distances (wet conditions are great for irons), spin into and around greens, etc. We picked soggy days to go out on course and hit side by sides. It's just a longer process, even for a consistent (lunatic) player.

A couple of years ago I just started buying boxes of different balls and trying different ones each round. I still have a large stock, but I pretty much narrowed it down to either the OnCore Elixr (my #1) and Srixon Soft Feel.

Once I clear out my stock of everything else I’ll probably pick one of those two and stick with it. Probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always look at made in USA balls. Callaway, Titleist, Bridgestone. I have always been able to find one that worked for me. This year it's the Chromesoft.

Very unscientifically. I don't collect data, but I've never noticed any sort of consistency from one brand to another, or even a 2pc ball vs a premium ball.

I think there has to be consistency in my game before I can start looking at equipment.

I spent the last year trying different balls. I finally settled on the ProV1. It gives me most everything I need from tee to green, but I love how it performs on chips and putts. I'm old and not very long anymore. However, I can still break 80 from 6250 yards on occassion if I putt well. Every now and then I play the ProV1X but always seem to go back to the ProV1.

I was playing a bunch of different balls, and had been buying ZStars as my go-to. When I asked the Titleist guys at the 2021 Titleist Experience which ball they thought I should be playing with a 90-95 mph swing speed and the desire to higher the ball higher through the bag, they immediately said ProV1x. So that’s what I’ve been playing most of the time in money games. Still have a few sleeves of ZStars to get rid of, and some Kirklands to use in the off-season.

Very unscientific - read reviews and specs, then try them out on the course. No access to a launch monitor anywhere around here, so it's all seat of the pants.

I have just been playing balls that were gifted to me. I don’t think I’ve purchased balls in quite some time. I probably should test a few different balls and find one that is better suited for my game.

My way of choosing is: pick a ball in my price point, and in the color I want. That's it.

Bridgestone e12 in matte red and matte green. It really solidified the choice after watching Canadan's comparison of the e12 to look at the spin number differences.

It's what I usually get for Christmas.

@Dan44
I also somewhat enjoy choosing a golf ball, this past winter I did as much research as I could, narrowed it down to Callaway CS, Bridgestone BX, Pro V1, But then when weather got decent mid 40's in Feb. I put them all in play in a head to head, but there was another ball that emerged the Left Dash Pro V1, So I played several rounds by my self and these 4 balls in competetion type format, played ball down, kept scores and notes on each round, shot, chip & putt. It came down to the CS, and the 2 Titleist. With the fairways & greens soft it really came down to the ball I shot the lowest scores with, played the most consistant and felt the best which gives me confidence in the ball. I had extensive notes from all of this, pretty interesting for sure, but Ultimately I chose the Titleist Pro V1, it's the best ball for my game, BUT! I did find things about the other balls I liked as well, ie: wedge shots I hit the CS Much closer, longest Drive I hit a few 290+ with the left dash and when I needed the most carry teh left dash won, but after about 10 rounds of just me and the balls in 18 hole competitions score wise it was clear for me the Pro V1 was the winner. Then after I sold my stash of other balls, I ran accross the Left Dot Titleist, this ball is a Monster and with the cost I would say it's just a Tournament ball, but oh my is it a great Tournament ball, it's 10-15 yards longer off driver for me, a club longer on my irons and putts and chips equally as well so I have found situations where certain balls out perform the other, but Ultimately it came down to the Pro V1 & Left Dot which I play in the Senior AM. Tournaments I play in, just because it slightly out performs all the others. Plus I made my First Eagle on a par 5 with it, on a cousre I've played 30 years. Driver & 6 iron & a 1 putt.
Best of luck on your journey, best advice is be open and honest with yourself, dont let your personal bias effect your decision and you should be golden.

This year I tried Bridgestone BXS and RXS, Pro V1 and left dash, CS and CSX LS, and Zstar. I've hy far played my best golf with the CSX LS and I don't lose them as fast. Not sure if it's the ball or my swing or some combo of them, but it's been by far the best for me.

I just reach down in my bag and whatever comes out. I'm not especially picky just no bricks. I do have 3 dz. Vice Tour balls in the closet which work for me.

Combination of digesting comprehensive golf ball testing, manufacturer fittings and individual testing. I'm a ball tester for two different ball manufacturers, so that gives me early access to some of the new balls too. The last change I made was early last year when I got early access to the new model ProV1x. With my swing I picked up some distance with driver with this ball and the durability of these balls was a substantial improvement.

Since I am a real range rat, I get a lot of short game testing in when I'm reviewing or considering a new ball. More often than not that is where the real differences show up. Spin rates and the way a ball reacts on chips and pitches and the consistency and feel you get when putting a ball. Ball flight and shape characteristics are best evaluated on course or with a launch monitor.

I start at the green because I am aggressive and want a ball that hits and stops when I want.

Then I look at iron spin - I need it, then

Driver spin.

For me, it's B-Stone RXS, CS, or V1x. If I want to save money when I spray the ball all over, it may be Q Star or discontinued/discounted Tour Balls.

Read reviews online, watch some videos then decide where I would fit. Buy a few different balls and find a monitor somewhere. Ultimately, I go to the golf course. I'm down to 2 balls this season and always use the ProV1 as a fall back if nothing else is available.

I have low spin irons. My ball selection comes down to one that is higher spin, but still gives me good speed and spin numbers with driver. The two right now that seem to work best for my swing and objectives are the CS X and the PRO V1X. They both are super good for me. The CS X is a little flatter ball flight than the PRO V1X.

The other thing that I like is a yellow ball. I can see the ball flight so much better. Right now, it is impossible to find CS X in yellow, which is a total bummer.

Long story short. I just tried all kinds of different balls till I found one that suited me. Price, and hype didn't matter.. I gave as many as I could a try out.

Since I couldn't see that big of difference in ball flights, putting, and distances, I settled on a $2.00 ball, that was readily available from most outlets that had a sporting goods section.

Never changed unless the ball was discontinued.

I look at balls that are more aligned to my swing speed = compression, so that l can maximise efficiency of strike and ball. Now that fits around the , CS , and Erc ball ( just bought a dozen two weeks ago , so far so good ) amongst some other balls definitely ball brand agnostic. Have previously used Bridgestones e7 and Precept u tri .
don’t involve myself in the minutiae of ball metrics , don’t have the ability / skill set to , have those nuances affect my game .

Last edited:
I didn't pick my ball, it found me.

I have been playing the ProV1 almost since the day they came out in 2000. At first, I thought the price for them was kind a joke until I found one in the trees. I played it one the back nine and realized it was a much better ball than the Pro Trajectory it replaced and a 100 times more durable. I don't get involved with all the technical stuff such as spin monitors, launch angles, carry distance. I know when a ball is right for me. I never played any ball quite like it before and was hooked on it in 9 holes.

My only knock on the ProV1 early on was that it felt a little too soft for me off the putter face, but then again I had been playing Pinnacles and Top Flite XL's for years before it came out and was used to the sound and feel of them.

I don't experiment with other balls too often but I played with a TP5 the other day and really liked it. My son has been playing with a couple of different Bridgestone balls that feel and play pretty nice.

Last edited:
I had auditions for balls last night. Chrome Soft, RXS and Triad. All putted great and held their lines well. In fact I could live with any of them. Putted for a half hour from all over.
Then chipped and pitched for around the same amount of time. Again all were good but ChromeSoft seemed to be a wee bit more consistent. I used two of each ball and move to several positions and lies. One thing I know is they all sound great and I love the grab of the covers.
It was a fun experiment while the wife is out of town.

Back