How did you build your WITB?

Pre Grandaddy, I tinkered a lot. I bought irons every other year at least but stuck with fairways. Then the Grandaddy happened and they got it right.

Or at least that's the story you told your wife, right? :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Me too. Yea honey I was able to find this on eBay for less than half price 😉

THP Experience!

Random.

When I came back to the game in 2016/2017, I still had my full bag that I played in 2010. I replaced stuff little by little. The latest order was:

Odyssey SL Marxman putter
Taylormade M5 driver
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3wd
Titleist Vokey wedges
Taylormade M4 5wd
Srixon irons

Next thing to be replaced will likely be the wedges. I've already swapped out the 52° for the Srixon GW. I'll likely pick up some RTX4 either black, satin, or raw if I can move the Vokeys.

After that, next replacement will be a 4h for 4i swap, most likely, or maybe a 7wd/5h for 4i & 5i swap.

Driver is likely safe for a while. Might put the 2021 release Taylormade (unless Callaway puts out something to outperform the Epic Flash SZ in 2021) in mid 2021.

I piece it together in big chunks! Lol... irons and wedges at the same time... then woods. Fairways I’ll have more patience with and putters will rotate from my collection.

Outside of the incredible support from some companies, THP, and my own dumb luck - - When I am not building my bag via a great experience, I am fully a piecemeal kind of guy.

Try, try, try, buy, try, buy, etc. Some last long, some don't even get through the range or putting green smell test haha

And just when you think your bag is done, it's not done. I've already ordered the 5 iron for my set (I originally went 6-AW), thinking about swapping my 58° S-grind for a PM grind, and still on the fence about whether or not to put a 3W in the bag.

And just when you think your bag is done, it's not done. I've already ordered the 5 iron for my set (I originally went 6-AW), thinking about swapping my 58° S-grind for a PM grind, and still on the fence about whether or not to put a 3W in the bag.
I'd get at least seventeen 5 irons.... and see which one works best. :D

Soooo, it's not just putters you do that with? :ROFLMAO:

I've bought stuff before that I decided not to use before it arrived. It's a right of passage for a club ho, I think.

I've bought stuff before that I decided not to use before it arrived. It's a right of passage for a club ho, I think.

Preach. Currently sitting on a Mav SZ and Standard, both unhit, which I cannot get out and hit try on course due to the lockdown. Want to move one on but scared I will decide to keep the wrong one.

I have built a small arsenal of clubs and then played them all and pick the ones like the best. I was fit for my irons and driver though. The hybrids, fairway, and wedges are custom gathered and tested. I have a bag with 6 (non PW) wedges I could choose from on any given day.

Not sure there is a correct way to do it. Of course having all clubs fit for you would be a smart start. Does that all need to be done in one go on the same day. No, and likely best not to do it that way IMHO.
Do it your way. As long as your setup results in sticks you like and are confident in, then you've won.

Its like art, you may never know (or ONLY you will know) when its complete.

Combination of impulse buys, CPO/deal searching, actual fittings and THP events. Driver was Distance bash which led to 5w and hybrid semi-deal searching buys to match. Irons were true fitting purchases along with the wedges. Putter was a impulse buy.

Ordered a whole bag full about this time last year then replaced a few pieces from that order with clubs I already owned that just worked a little better for me.

I haven't had the fortune to win a THP event yet.

I came by my bag of clubs mostly through trial and error but it has been checked by fittings. The only club I bought immediately after a fitting was my 3 wood which is the TM Rocket 3 with an Oban Isawa shaft. The driver I picked up at Callaway Pre-Owned and did wind up getting a new shaft after a fitting but the shaft I had was a pretty decent fit. My irons I picked up on the BST here but did reshaft with XCaliber shafts I got for free (although it did cost me some money to get them installed).

I am likely going to get fit again once things open up and focus on the irons.

THP and Ben Hogan Golf FTMFW!
IMG_1801.jpg

I got fit at Club Champion to build my bag. I used the fitting to update irons and putter this year (same style and type, just updated model).

In the beginning it was pure lack of knowledge. Just buy based on price and it’s in the bag. My next set will be a bit different process but built around the irons.

What say you on the best way to build your bag?

1) putter (most important club within a golf bag)
2) iron set
3) wedges
4) long shaft clubs (can be hybrids or fairway woods, for some strong players maybe a driving iron, driver).

Back