How can some states have such cheap memberships?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just don't get how some states can be profitable with memberships that are drastly different in cost.

I was talking to a coworker and he pays $900 a year for a membership to a 27 hole track that's semi private in Cincinnatti.
I know the Raleigh Durham area has a membership that includes FOUR different courses within about a 30 mile radius for about $3,060, that INCLUDES a cart.

In Richmond, the cheapest membership a person can find is around $4000 a year, for a single course.

I'm just fascinated how it can vary so dramatically and what drives it. Is it competition of surrounding courses, quantity of golfers in the area?

What's the "budget/value" membership run in your area?

About 1k but doesn’t include carts typically. Just depends on the type of membership and the quality of course. No different than cars, houses, tools… you get what you pay for.

I just don't get how some states can be profitable with memberships that are drastly different in cost.

I was talking to a coworker and he pays $900 a year for a membership to a 27 hole track that's semi private in Cincinnatti.
I know the Raleigh Durham area has a membership that includes FOUR different courses within about a 30 mile radius for about $3,060, that INCLUDES a cart.

In Richmond, the cheapest membership a person can find is around $4000 a year, for a single course.

I'm just fascinated how it can vary so dramatically and what drives it. Is it competition of surrounding courses, quantity of golfers in the area?

I think it is all of the things you outlined - also cost to run the place as well.

Sadly there is nothing near me from a CC perspective that isn't ultra-private, but hoping when we relocate back to DFW in the near-ish future I can find something 'affordable'

I paid around 2300 last year for a family membership (including cart and range balls) at what I'd consider a very nice golf course. Amenities were so-so.

Privates range from a similar price I paid (but don't include carts and require f&b minimums) and up. I want to say I was quoted a first year rate of $3500, but it increased over time. That was a decent club with a pool, etc.

Like anything, geography and demand plays a big part in pricing.

I paid around 2300 last year for a family membership (including cart and range balls) at what I'd consider a very nice golf course. Amenities were so-so.

Privates range from a similar price I paid (but don't include carts and require f&b minimums) and up. I want to say I was quoted a first year rate of $3500, but it increased over time. That was a decent club with a pool, etc.

Like anything, geography and demand plays a big part in pricing.
2300 is a steal dude - I am jealous

In Montreal I pay 5000 a year Canadian with no initiation for one of the nicest courses in the province. It's a very good deal

It really was. Too bad I didn't even come close to getting my money's worth. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
You’re a professional indoor golfer hahaha

the one I keep trying to decide whether to join near me is 1600 for the year without carts. It's a muni but one of the best kept secrets in the area. Problem is I walk it for 14$ at twilight (ride for only 32). It would take 110+ rounds to break even and with my current work schedule I can't come anywhere close to that.

Certainly does not rival High End Courses in VA is a pleasant surprise and Lot cheaper than $4000. New Owner of 3 years is bit by bit improving every part of Course. And work it needed. Was told by Long-Time Residents prior Owner just pocketed profits and put no money in Course.

VAST difference between a semi-private and Private. Location, Supply & Demand lead to what it costs. If you are within sniffing distance of NYC, there is no shot at getting "membership" for 900-1600 a year. You'd be lucky to pay that for a month, PLUS a ridiculous initiation and 'grill' tabs.

There are a couple of semi-private courses around the area, and those aren't cheap either. At least one course out in the middle of nowhere has a non-equity share that costs about $4000 for a full, $3600 for a weekday. $1200 annual cart fee. Just golf, no pool, tennis, etc...

Oh, and by the Score Card it looks easy...Not. If you are unable to Work the ball you will have many Lay-Ups or will be in trouble.

I would guess a lot of it is supply and demand. Spanish Oaks near me charges $200,000 to join and apparently people keep joining cause it was $150,000 just a few years ago.

It's all those things and more. How many months a year is the golf season in Cincinnati vs Richmond? I'd imagine Richmond is fairly close to year round golf, no?

Economics and population of the area have to do with it too. If you put a high-dollar private course in the area where I live, it would quickly go under because a) we have a relatively small population base, and b) there wouldn't be a lot of people who could afford the membership. Go down to Phoenix or Tucson and the picture is very different.

I paid around $2800 last year for membership at my club. It's considered "semi private", but in reality it's a privately owned public club with two 18s. I definitely wouldn't consider it high end, but it's not a goat track either - it's somewhere solidly in the middle between those two extremes.

Can't add anything to what has already been said. But, mine is so cheap because they have one of the best pro shops in NE Ohio, so that business allows them to do the stupid low membership price.

I’m a member at the University’s course. Annual cost is $2,000 but doesn’t include range balls ($5 per 40-ish ball bucket for members). The course itself is good but the practice areas are very basic.

Local CC is $10k+ initiation and $400-ish monthly. It has, I’ve heard, a 200+ person waiting list. Course is okay. Instruction is very good. Amenities are good. Food is good, for the most part.

Great life golf and fitness, I pay 600 a year doesn';t include cart.

All cost of living and demand. My muni is 1200/yr. Good course is 305/mo including cart. Course that says it's private but anyone can book online is 325/mo plus cart. Private course is $3k initiation and 365/mo.

Cheap golf at good tracks can be found all over Ohio. I pay a little over a 1k for 27 holes with reduced cart fee. There is a deal in Findlay Ohio that is $1870 for a single with cart at 4 courses.

Back in 2013, I was a member at a private/semi-private course that I loved, but location wasn't great. It was $205/month (not including carts) with ~$250 total initiation for the "young executive" level. It was unfortunately ~30 minutes from work and ~40 minutes from where I lived at the time.

Now, I am a member at a public course for $138/month (not including carts), but definitely have to fight the public for times.

Back