How $23 Made My Golf Game Better

Idrops

Reaction score
Came home from a second disappointing round and told my wife I wasn't getting better. I started to think about lessons, where to search, who to see, how much will it cost. I pulled out a Golf digest book I've read twice thinking three time's a charm.

Then I looked at my spikes and noticed the wear indicator was present on several cleats. So I bought new spikes $10.00 and a tool $13.00 and replaced them all.

Shot a good round. I'm back baby!!:banana:

Funny how a small thing can go unnoticed and make a big difference.

I know that I was experiencing some major slipping due to worn spikes. I just grabbed a pair of shoes I hadn't worn much, but it made a big difference for me too.

I know. It surprises a lot of people but goos spikes make a huge difference.

thats awesome man. A lot of people never replace their spikes ever.

How long have you used the same spikes, and how is the terrain where you play?
I would not think it would make that much of a diff unless they were completely gone.

thats awesome man. A lot of people never replace their spikes ever.

I would never even think about it until this thread popped up.

I played a round a few years ago and shot 49 on the front. Noticed my cleats were worn down and the shop had a guy to change them for free, so I went in after 9 and got new spikes. Proceeded to go birdie-eagle on 10/11 on my way to a 34 (-2) on the front. Well worth the $5 tip I gave the guy!!!

I now change my spikes regularly as well as clean the debris out I collect from walking on each tee box!

Great point with the fresh spikes. You have to have good balance with no slipping so yea this is a good thing to do. Sam Sneak use to go barefooted when he was working on his game. He loved the feel of the earth and the connection to it.

I have never changed my golf spikes. Is it a one spike fits all kind of thing or are there certain spikes that fit each shoe

I have certainly noticed a difference in new and old spikes. I have a pair I have had for about 3 years. I noticed when I wore them my feet were moving alot. Bought a new pair recently and have noticed a major change. I can't say that was the end all be all to fix my golf game, but it sure made a difference.

How long have you used the same spikes, and how is the terrain where you play?
I would not think it would make that much of a diff unless they were completely gone.

I think I bought the shoes around February 2011. The terrain....well it's Florida. I think walking on cement to and from the car wears down the spikes more than hitting a golf ball. I could definitely feel more locked to the ground on full swings.

Great point with the fresh spikes. You have to have good balance with no slipping so yea this is a good thing to do. Sam Sneak use to go barefooted when he was working on his game. He loved the feel of the earth and the connection to it.

Somehow I mostly play better after changing out my spikes. For some reason, I think it's the regaining of the lost height the new spikes gave me ( I know it sounds weird ) than the gripping power. BTW, I always knew that Snead was sneaky long, now Ole Gray has confirmed it !

Honestly I've never really changed spikes on my golf shoes, then again I've never really considered when spikes are actually worn. With my previous pairs of shoes I always feel like I wear out the support inside before the spikes go, and that means it's time for a new pair of shoes.

Nobody with the Snead quote yet

A new set of spikes is always a great thing to have. I usually change mine at the end of every season or as needed within the season. At the start and end of the year, wet season, is when I notice the greatest.

I change both of my pairs at the beginning of the year and mid-season - but I walk most of the time so my shoes get pretty worn down.

I've tried playing a few times when I didn't have my golf shoes and I can't believe how tentative my swing got because of slippage. That convinced me right then and there that I would not let my spikes get too worn down...

I will sometimes practice hitting balls on grass wearing tennis shoes, if you are swinging hard enough to slip then don't swing that hard. When I want to gear it up and swing faster, not harder, but faster when I get out on the golf course the feel and balance is the same as what you were doing at the slower pace, you are just speeding up the tempo.

I will sometimes practice hitting balls on grass wearing tennis shoes, if you are swinging hard enough to slip then don't swing that hard. When I want to gear it up and swing faster, not harder, but faster when I get out on the golf course the feel and balance is the same as what you were doing at the slower pace, you are just speeding up the tempo.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

I hit balls on the range barefoot when I can, if you are swinging in a manner that you are easily slipping then you should practice barefoot or in tennis shoes, and see how you hit the ball. If you get good at hitting balls that way, your cleats only help from there.

I'm paranoid about having fresh spikes that I bought a box of new ones along with the shoes. Don't have any visible wear yet but I'll replace them as soon as there's any kind of slippage.

When I got my first pair of adidas golf shoes I was amazed at the grippage the soles provided. I honestly don't think I could wear anything else.

Kevin

When I got my first pair of adidas golf shoes I was amazed at the grippage the soles provided. I honestly don't think I could wear anything.

Kevin

Agreed. My new AdiPure Z's are amazing.

I change mine 3x a year, its so cheap and easy so why not

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

I hit balls on the range barefoot when I can, if you are swinging in a manner that you are easily slipping then you should practice barefoot or in tennis shoes, and see how you hit the ball. If you get good at hitting balls that way, your cleats only help from there.

Have to agree, smooth and balanced beats trying to rip the cover off most of the time, at least for me. ymmv

I change mine at least twice a year...sometimes more...cheap and easy.

Back