House Value vs. Property Taxes.

They raised the hell out of ours this year but when I pull comp sales they are above what my tax value is so not much I can do

We can protest? That's a protest I would get behind.
Not sure how it works in Florida, but in Texas the local appraisal district appraises your property each year and you can protest the amount to lower your property tax bill.

They raised the hell out of ours this year but when I pull comp sales they are above what my tax value is so not much I can do
Dang. Over the last few years, they have been appraising mine way above the sales comps.

Not sure how it works in Florida, but in Texas the local appraisal district appraises your property each year and you can protest the amount to lower your property tax bill.
Damn. Would love that.

It's great if you can get them to come down, but can be quite frustrating to deal with.
Can it go the other way? Whoops, we left off a 0!

Mine went up $500 over last year. I was going to contest it, but my sister-in-law (who's an attorney in Palm Beach) told me to take the $15 petition fee and go buy a pizza with it. No chance of winning an appeal.
You can still get pizza for $15 ?!

Here in the pizza capital of the world (NOT CHICAGO) it's $22-$25 for a pie. Here on Long Island your taxes are considered low if you're paying less than $12K/year. My house was built in 1947 on a 60x100 lot in an average blue collar neighborhood and my taxes are around $12K. The school taxes account for about 55% of the tax bill.

We have a state law that caps the total amount of increases annually. Many (most?) people are assessed below market value.

It’s my understanding that California bases it directly off the purchase price and not market value.

Works the same way in FL. If your wife is an agent, yeah she’d be doing exactly what I’d be doing. Thankfully, ours are capped at a 3% increase per year with our homestead exemption, so we don’t really have to protest all that much? The only time it makes sense to do so is the first year you get the tax bill in FL and they’ve applied your exemption etc since that first year is when the real reassessment of value comes from.

Which companies do y'all use to protest your property taxes?
Like you I've been doing my own protest every year here in SA. Last year, while I was still in the process of putting together my "evidence" the appraisal office reached out and offered a settlement. The offer was the amount I was going to fight for. Of course I took it. This year, my protest intent has been filed and now my fingers a crossed for another offer from them.

Which companies do y'all use to protest your property taxes?

I had a successful self protest last year (thanks to a neighbor selling with an identical floor plan), but I am using P O'connor this year. No results back from this year's protest.

Damn. Would love that.
You wouldn’t love their property taxes. It’s gross. They don’t have the tourism of your state to keep them lower

in TX our property tax rates are near or above 4% My tax and insurance is double what my principle and interest is

My assessment went up 25% this year, I need to pull comps and see if I have a shot at protesting my increase. All I know is my new assessed value is close to the Zillow zestimate, and we all know those numbers are overinflated.

My assessment went up 25% this year, I need to pull comps and see if I have a shot at protesting my increase. All I know is my new assessed value is close to the Zillow zestimate, and we all know those numbers are overinflated.
My assessment went up 41% this year. Luckily it's capped at 10% because it's homesteaded.

Works the same way in FL. If your wife is an agent, yeah she’d be doing exactly what I’d be doing. Thankfully, ours are capped at a 3% increase per year with our homestead exemption, so we don’t really have to protest all that much? The only time it makes sense to do so is the first year you get the tax bill in FL and they’ve applied your exemption etc since that first year is when the real reassessment of value comes from.
I'd love 3%, ours is capped at 10% with homestead protection.

We have a state law that caps the total amount of increases annually. Many (most?) people are assessed below market value.
Not in Texas. We are often assessed way above market value.

It’s my understanding that California bases it directly off the purchase price and not market value.
I think you are correct.

You wouldn’t love their property taxes. It’s gross. They don’t have the tourism of your state to keep them lower
Im just glad I am county vs city these days here.

Zillow numbers in my area are very close to what houses actually sell for. A big reason I moved to Indiana 3 years ago is because of how reasonable the property taxes are relative to the price of the home. In the Great Lakes region of the Midwest, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and Indiana, Indiana has the cheapest real estate taxes.

The problem is municipalities don’t adjust the tax rate. The rate is what kills your wallet. I’ve never owned an asset that I didn’t want to increase in value. It’s a cat and mouse game.

Ours went up around 25% over last year, but what got me steaming was the HOA rate literally doubled.

You can still get pizza for $15 ?!

Here in the pizza capital of the world (NOT CHICAGO) it's $22-$25 for a pie. Here on Long Island your taxes are considered low if you're paying less than $12K/year. My house was built in 1947 on a 60x100 lot in an average blue collar neighborhood and my taxes are around $12K. The school taxes account for about 55% of the tax bill.
To be fair, that post was made 15 years ago. :ROFLMAO:

Back