Hot Tub/Spa Owners?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Who here owns a hot tub or spa? I’ve been green lit to shop around and figured I’d ask THP’ers first if anyone has one, uses it regularly, and what they got? Worth a shot!

I can speak to the use of the hot tub/spa as we have one with our pool. Even in Florida we use it quite often & would even say more over the pool. Especially in the cooler months. Great to get in and relax & soak the old muscles/joints.

We have one that we built with our pool. We use it fairly often but not nearly as much as the first few years.

We had two hot tubs over 20 years before we moved this spring. Hot Springs Spa was the brand we had, probably toward the upper end of the cost spectrum. My wife and I used it almost every day. A couple of things to think about

- Most spas will need a dedicated 50 amp service, ours used a 20A and 30A GFCI in a separate box. We also had a disconnect between the main service and the box. In our experience the hot tub seller provided a breaker box for the tub, the owner was responsible to arrange for an electrician to wire to the breaker box and from the box to the tub. The tub seller was able to provide a list of electricians from which we picked one and made separate arrangements.
- We were lucky in being able to schedule the electrical work the same day the tub was delivered. We could then fill the tub with water and test it before the installation/delivery team left.
- Controlling water chemistry is a daily thing, it can go south quickly. There are several different methods available, make sure you get a good test kit for the method you are going to use.
- We bought extra filters that way when it came time to clean the installed set all we had to do was swap in a set that was ready to go for the set that needed cleaning -- no downtime. We usually cleaned our filters monthly.
- We found that about the time the warranty expired things started to require replacement, for example, the heating element went bad just out of warranty and that cost $750 to replace. Heaters and Ozonators were items that most frequently required repair. The normal delay between calling for a service appointment and actually getting a technician on the scene averaged about 10 days, the worst case was 3 weeks.

Good luck

We had a tub in Michigan, a small 4 person MasterSpa. Awesome tub. Great for post round muscle soaking. I did have to replace the circulation pump after a few years. Found one online and replaced it myself for a LOT cheaper than I was quoted by the pros. Otherwise it was trouble free. I sold it to my sister when I moved south and she and her husband still use it all the time, 15+ years old now.

I have missed the tub, and my wife really wants a pool. We compromised and put a deposit on a swim spa With a separate built in hot tub. Have to wait about a year for it. 😮

Not quite the same as a standard hot tub but we have one of those inflatable intex ones. Its easy to setup and use. Takes a bit to heat it up here in the winter haha but it works in a pinch. Biggest issue we had was getting the chemicals right. I'd rather have a pool any day I'm not a huge hot tub guy but the are great when the muscles are sore.

We have a 3 person Viking spa and use it quite a bit during the fall through spring. Too hot during summer here, but I still get in about once a wee during the hot months for 15 minutes or so.
Keeping the chemistry right is tougher in the summer.
Issues we've had are mainly with the oscillating jets being difficult to open and/or popping out if you open them while on max jet mode.
Otherwise it's been great....

So you’re going swingset into a hot tub? I would have gone trampoline into a pool, but I like where your head is at.

We have a Sweetwater spa that we use almost daily. I will echo previous comments about water chemistry. Keep an extra filter on hand to swap out and I would suggest cleaning your filter every 1-2 months. Your spa will foam up and/or get cloudy from one day to the next if you neglect the chemicals/cleaning.

We are looking at getting one too!

Funnily enough I'm just back from our anniversary week away, and the AirBnB we stayed in had a huge spa bath in it. I am now under serious pressure to get my wallet out and find space in the house for one. Apparently there's room for a spa bath but not a simulator set up :rolleyes:

Really eyeing the Hot Spring ones with the saltwater.

I don't have a ton to add, other than I'd recommend being willing to fix/repair them yourself when the time comes. Most professional repair jobs can cost as much as the tub - especially if transport is involved.

I don't remember the brand, but we went with a rotomolded spa. We've had it going on three years now, and it sees frequent use. The best move we made was to go with bromine as opposed to chlorine.

My folks have a hot tub and they absolutely love it, and it gets a ton of use. I think it’s a beachcomber, but I’m not 100%.

Their biggest thing is keeping up on the ph checks and water maintenance.

Funnily enough I'm just back from our anniversary week away, and the AirBnB we stayed in had a huge spa bath in it. I am now under serious pressure to get my wallet out and find space in the house for one. Apparently there's room for a spa bath but not a simulator set up :rolleyes:
Ah opportunity presents , a water hazard for the simulator ? Or aqua golf , for practice in temporary water lol 😅

Ah opportunity presents , a water hazard for the simulator ? Or aqua golf , for practice in temporary water lol 😅
Yup, I would take any one of those excuses - plus, if I get a nice course up on the simulator it would be visually pleasant for sitting in the tub. All part of the plan!

We have a Sundance Spa hot tub. Love it and can use it year round. Have it on our deck within about 15 feet from the door to our house . In the winter when its cold out you have about a 15 second window to get out, close it up and get in the house. Highly recommend getting one with a sound system we use ours all the time. It can be cold and you can still use it. The only time in the winter you really can't use it is when its really windy. Very cool on a night when its snowing to be relaxing in the Hot Tub. All in all just feels great and I love the jets massaging my back when im in it. Its like a water Theragun is the best way I can describe it.

The house we're in now had one & we use it a good bit, especially in the fall & winter. Nothing quite like a whiskey/whisky drink and a hot tub in the evening. I think it's a Hot Springs.
A friend of ours has a swim spa, it's sort of a blend of pool & hot tub. I'm thinking seriously about changing over to that at some point.

Back