Hollow Body vs Cavity Back: Do you have a preference? Do you even care?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Title says it all, when looking for your next iron set, or when you got your current set, do/did you have a design preference in terms of hollow body vs traditional cavity back?

Prefer Cavity back, always have. Just my thing.

CB now that I've been spoiled.
uncle daddy seen the light GIF by ClawsTNT

Having played both I lean cavity back. However hollow continues to get better and better.

Cavity for me.

Im prepared to be lambasted for it, but the reasoning for me is distance. I hit hollow bodies further than I want, I want more spin and more consistently familiar to me distances.

Depends where in the set we're talking.

Closer to the wedge? Probably a CB.
Closer to the utilities? Give me all the benefits of hollowness.

I would prefer a CB but man, you hit a jelly filled PXG and that feel can become an addiction. So smooth. When they launched the 0317T I knew I'd have to have a set someday.

Won't surprise anytime it's cavity back for me. Hollows keep getting better, but they're not usually the look, feels, or performance profiles I'm looking for.

I have not played hollow body so I can’t comment. Generally in reviews I see low spin as being a characteristic of hollow bodies so I lean cavity back. Would love to try some hollow bodies though. I might bend them a bit weak depending to get a little launch or spin if needed.

Cavity, though I did like my 2020 Forged Tecs.

I think some of the new hollow body irons are getting really good.

I guess cavity backs because they tend to have smaller head options vs hollow/goo filled clubs, to better suit my prodigious ballstriking needs

Iron sets that I have truly loved and enjoyed playing the most have been cavity backs.

Having played both I lean cavity back. However hollow continues to get better and better.
this.

add in hollow bodies look better as well (when done right)

i don't care. just want the visuals, sole and performance to work for me, and then i want them to feel "right."

No, I don't have a personal preference that I'm aware of.

I play cavities, but I think hollow bodies represented a proper shift in technology when they came out. As far as irons go, they could be the most revolutionary vs. evolutionary to my small brain.

I play cavity back currently, but if my next set was better as hollow it wouldn't matter to me

CB for me overall, but for my 4i I am open to options. I think the 565 I currently have would be considered just a CB, but I am open to hollow body there if it gaps.

No preference at all.

I will play whatever hits it long and straight.

Can I get back to you on this? I've been kind of fascinated with the hollow bodies for a few years now, and picked up a set of TEE C722s last year. I've had them in the bag most of the time since I got them, but switch back to my Mizuno JPX 919 Forged every once in a while. Not really a fair comparison, but the 722s aren't in the same ballpark for looks and feel, although for a hollow body they do feel pretty good with the VibrCor in them. The biggest issue for me with these is the shafts, I was fit for the Mizunos, and have Steelfiber i95s in them that I REALLY LIKE. The shafts in the 722s are a stock graphite offering that I really don't like, and that don't work that well for me, but I'll be putting some Steelfiber Private Reserve i95s in them soon, and I do expect that to make a big difference.

Growing up playing pure blades CB irons have been a natural for me although I am warming up to the hollow body irons as I get older and can use a bit more distance.

Prefer CB but results are only thing that matters

I have tended to not like the feel of hollow irons. I had a set of the previous apex pros, and those lasted a couple of weeks before I sold them. Feel is important to me.

This year might be different. So far I am impressed with MP 245. I still need to hit the MP 243; maybe this morning. I will also check out the latest p790 and the upcoming i530 (Ping has to have improved the sound/feel, right?). I don't know if a hollow iron set will jump in the bag or not. Maybe.

Back