High Spin Players-Best Woods Shafts

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
What shafts work best for you? Low spin and launch is a safe bet, have you had any work outside of this? For me, I'm finding real deal shafts are more effective in reducing spin and stock shafts are anyone's guess.

What shafts work best for you? Low spin and launch is a safe bet, have you had any work outside of this? For me, I'm finding real deal shafts are more effective in reducing spin and stock shafts are anyone's guess.

Outside of TaylorMade and Ping aren't most companies using real deal shafts now?

Outside of TaylorMade and Ping aren't most companies using real deal shafts now?
I'm not sure, there's quite an ongoing debate on this.

I'm not sure, there's quite an ongoing debate on this.
I don't think there is a debate on this.

Also, first thing to do is figure out your swing and make sure the spin isn't coming from an issue in the movement.

most of us around here tend to believe that the head has far more impact on launch and spin than the shaft does. i'd make sure you're in a head that gives you optimum numbers first, then look to the shaft to gain consistency of strike and the feel you prefer.

For me, I'm finding real deal shafts are more effective in reducing spin and stock shafts are anyone's guess.

Yes, but you have to pay the price for the real deal shafts. If you are interested in Titleist, that company has a program going right now where for drivers one gets a significant discount for a few of the real deal Graphite Design shaft models.

I have great success with project x smoke series, specifically yellow in driver and black in fairways-utilities.
I will have to check them out.

I tried out the new RDX in the smoke series and they are even better. Project X is stock offering in most OEMs too.
What weight do use in driver. I like 65-80 gram shafts. I hit a 50 gram shaft all over the map.

I don't think there is a debate on this.

Also, first thing to do is figure out your swing and make sure the spin isn't coming from an issue in the movement.

This!

So my issue is my movement, I'm steep and I love it. Except on tee shots with driver. Thats where I turn to equipment.

So my issue is my movement, I'm steep and I love it. Except on tee shots with driver. Thats where I turn to equipment.

Love it, rock what ya got!

As to the OP it you want a low cost option find you an old Project X Black 7.0 70g class. I’ve not hit a lower spin shaft, outside of some 90-110 gram long drive shafts.

They’re probably out there now, but I no longer leave this as my primary motivation with a slower and less spinnie style swing.

Based on feedback here and elsewhere I would gurantee that the Cobra RADSPEED driver will lower spin. Get the shaft in it you like the feel of.

I've had great success with the titleist ts4 driver. Radspeed, as shown in the THP showcase, seems to fit the bill as well.

No. Other companies are using similar shafts to what the aftermarket shafts are but are not the same. Callaway is one of those companies. They are offering the HZRDUS Smoke iM10, but it’s the “MID” version instead of the “LOW” version, which is the aftermarket version.

While most other companies are not as bad as TM about it, they still have a shaft here and there that are not the same as the aftermarket. I will say it is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Last edited:

There is no such thing as a low spin shaft. Unfortunately, it is a marketing word that holds no water. As far as high or low launching shafts, that doesn’t translate to all golfers. There are plenty of golfers who will hit a low launching shaft higher than a high launching shaft.

No. Other companies are using similar shafts to what the aftermarket shafts are but are not the same. Callaway is one of those companies. They are offering the HZRDUS Smore iM10, but it’s the “MID” version instead of the “LOW” version, which is the aftermarket version.

While most other companies are not as bad as TM about it, they still have a shaft here and there that are not the same as the aftermarket. I will say it is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

For the major OEM brands, Made for Shafts are the high profit component of a finished club. Over the years I have talked to OEM employees about offering a "heads only" sales model (so that customers could purchase real deal shafts). The answer I receive is that "heads-only" would be essentially the same retail price as the current finished club with Made For shaft sales model.

No. Other companies are using similar shafts to what the aftermarket shafts are but are not the same. Callaway is one of those companies. They are offering the HZRDUS Smoke iM10, but it’s the “MID” version instead of the “LOW” version, which is the aftermarket version.

According to PX during our THP Showcase live stream, both shafts will be offered aftermarket.

That may have changed, but that was discussed.

According to PX during our THP Showcase live stream, both shafts will be offered aftermarket.

That may have changed, but that was discussed.

Not sure, when I talked with True Sports, I was told the iM10 Mid was the version made for OEMs and the Low was the aftermarket shaft. I do believe they sell the Mid still, but it is the iM10 “flagship” for lack of a better word.

For the major OEM brands, Made for Shafts are the high profit component of a finished club. Over the years I have talked to OEM employees about offering a "heads only" sales model (so that customers could purchase real deal shafts). The answer I receive is that "heads-only" would be essentially the same retail price as the current finished club with Made For shaft sales model.

I have component accounts with a few OEMs and you’re not being told the truth. The pricing for heads only vs shafted is a fairly large margin.

It seems there's a spectrum of very close to real deal to not very close.

There is no such thing as a low spin shaft. Unfortunately, it is a marketing word that holds no water. As far as high or low launching shafts, that doesn’t translate to all golfers. There are plenty of golfers who will hit a low launching shaft higher than a high launching shaft.
I agree I've tried stout shafts I have trouble closing the face and spin goes way up. Kind of what I was getting at in the original post of finding the shaft that helps to get the face and path to combine to lower spin relative to other shafts.

Fuji pro 2.0 tour spec knocked my spin down (or helped my club head deliver to the ball in a way that reduced the spin)

Back