Help! Need alternative to grip solvent

kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
The worst thing happened, ran out of solvent before my new shipment arrives and need to grip two clubs today, what around the home alternatives can I use?

Air?

I don’t do club work but I’ve heard a lot of people that use air say they’ll never go back.

Mineral spirits. Have been using it exclusively for the past 5 or so years after using my last container of grip solvent. Seems to me it dries faster.

Mineral spirits

I have recently shifted to using a compressor but before that I have used odorless mineral spirits for years. There is no need to pay extra for grip solvent and you can find mineral spirits pretty much anywhere. Pretty much any solvent will work though.

Anything that will neutralize the adhesive long enough to install. Nail polish remover, mineral spirits, gasoline even (this may be the most expensive gripping you’ll do this year) but anything like that works.

Anything that will neutralize the adhesive long enough to install. Nail polish remover, mineral spirits, gasoline even (this may be the most expensive gripping you’ll do this year) but anything like that works.
I could never use gasoline to install grips but this makes sense coming from the elmers glue guy :ROFLMAO:

White Spirit. Usually some knocking around in the shed with the tins of paint.

I could never use gasoline to install grips but this makes sense coming from the elmers glue guy :ROFLMAO:

I've never used it either, but it certainly does work in a pure pinch.

Has anyone tried just plain old water?

May take longer to dry but still should work I think.

Mineral spirits. Easy to find in any hardware store, and I believe it's what most golf grip solvents are made of anyway.

I mean... That sounds like a lot of struggle and drying time.

There is a grip tape that works with water but most won’t.

I don’t do club work but I’ve heard a lot of people that use air say they’ll never go back.
I'm sure he meant Hairspray. I've used hairspray for golf and bicycle grips since I was a kid, going way back to the 70s, much easier that solvent too.

I'm sure he meant Hairspray. I've used hairspray for golf and bicycle grips since I was a kid, going way back to the 70s, much easier that solvent too.
I've used hairspray before, it works. I thought about suggesting it, but not many people have a can of Aqua Net sitting around the house nowadays. :ROFLMAO:

If you don't have mineral spirits, WD-40 will work. I use that to remove putter grips.

If you don't have mineral spirits, WD-40 will work. I use that to remove putter grips.
True! I forgot about that. I use WD40 to remove glue residue from shop stickers on shafts and heads.

I use WD for a lot of things, and I'm sure it'll work for grips too. However, I doubt it's drying time will work quickly for a quick regripping.

I use WD for a lot of things, and I'm sure it'll work for grips too. However, I doubt it's drying time will work quickly for a quick regripping.
Yeah I was thinking for removal sure but application? Seems risky haha

I've used hairspray before, it works. I thought about suggesting it, but not many people have a can of Aqua Net sitting around the house nowadays. :ROFLMAO:

Had to take the Al Bundy Gif

Last edited:
This. Odorless is the best and can be bought at any hardware store
Now wait just a darn minute - they make odorless mineral spirits???? I've already done my clubs for this year, but I'm heading straight to the hardware store after work to find me some of this stuff.

Charcoal lighter fluid
Gasoline
Paint thinner
V,M,&P Naptha
Lacquer thinner.
Bug & Tar remover.

Back