Health Scare - Stroke on the course

we did the TEE down the throat yesterday that found some other issues, but wouldn’t have caused the strokes. Yes I’m on some medsevery day
I used to do the sedation for TEEs. I hope any valve issues they found are easily treatable.

take your time and make your best efforts for a full recovery!

Therapy today was rough. Lots of baseline exercises.

then came some news that based on a couple I should go get another head scan, based on the limited function of my left arm, and leg, specifically, as well as slurring my words.

spent the last 7 hours in the ER with more blood work and ct scans.
Everything seems normal, thankfully no hemorrhages. Follow up with neuro doctor in the next couple days.

im exhausted

then came some news that based on a couple I should go get another head scan, based on the limited function of my left arm, and leg, specifically, as well as slurring my words.

Everything seems normal, thankfully no hemorrhages. Follow up with neuro doctor in the next couple days.

im exhausted
We’re here for you through this no matter what 👊.
62E46ED7-FB0D-4099-A6DA-E604B161F0FE.jpeg

im exhausted
I am sorry yo. That sounds stressful. Hope the neuro followup goes well. Keep your head up. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Some of you know this already, but this week has been pretty crazy and a bit frightening to say the least.

Friday after a conference call, I went to play 9 holes with a friend. Everything was great, it was a bit hot but not terribly, so we decided to walk.
After the 3rd tee, walking to our balls, i had a sharp pain in the back of my head, and then things started to feel weird. I started losing sensation in my left leg, then my arm, and finally my face started to go numb on the left side. My speech was fine, but i fell down. After sitting down on the grass, I began slumping over to my left side. We immediately called for a cart, and quickly got back to my car where my buddy drove me straight to the ER.

As expected, I had a stroke on the course. Current tests are showing possibly a couple, but one may have been a bit older (no idea when, never knew I had one before, and no history in my family). Thanks to the ER team (and my buddy) for swift response, after the initial (timely) treatment Friday night, I seemed to have gained most of my motor functions back, and most of the damage to my brain seems to be mitigated.

As of now I’m still in the ICU, but hoping to go home tomorrow. I have been doing physical and occupational therapy, and will continue that for the next however long, as well as some medications. I’m up and walking, but slowly and there’s some physical limitations. My left hand is a bit tired and uncoordinated and doesn’t always do what my brain is telling it, my leg works great when i can see it, but if out of sight, similar to my arm. But I know this could have been way worse, and I am miles better than when I was wheelchaired into the ER (I couldn’t walk at all).

I don’t know what this means for golf, but likely won’t be playing anytime soon until I can get my balance and strength back. Hopefully I’ll be back playing by end of July, but wont know more until I get to the outpatient rehab and neurology center later this week.

I’m a bigger guy, but relatively healthy. Don’t take any meds, no real history of health issues. So this truly was an out of the blue experience for me.

A big part of this is to help bring some awareness to people to recognize symptoms if you notice someone exhibiting any. Time is vital, and I was super lucky we caught it quickly, as it truly is a game of hours.
There does seem to be a rise in stroke cases lately, so be alert to these warning signs.

In the meantime, I’m glad to be back on THP to help distract from the other issues.

View attachment 9101618

Pray you are ok, this is the first I’ve read of this. I had one too in the last year. Exact same onset of symptoms. TIA here and probably a one off. Praying for you!

The exhaustion is typical. I worked half days for a couple months. And I went to bed early for quite a while as well.
But, it is good to hear that they found no significant issues that they need to fix.

im exhausted
Thinking of you dude 👊

Glad you and your buddy were able to act quickly and that you are getting back on your feet. Good luck on your recovery.

That is so scary. Glad to hear you are fairly OK from the whole thing. Speedy recovery to you!

My mom died because of a brain aneurysm in 2003. She told us it was the worst headache she ever had. Was at the top of her head and it put her straight on the kitchen floor. She was stubborn and kept taking headache meds all weekend. Happened on a Friday evening as she was making dinner and she didn't call me until Sunday night. She was fine, no motor skills or physical abnormalities but that same worst headache. They told her on Monday the aneurysm had clotted right away, which is why she was still alive, but she had 2 options, either do nothing and deal with a headache for the rest of her life, or have surgery that may or may not help. She chose the surgery and died three months later in a assisted living home, never recovered, never knew who we were.. We think she came back to us the night she died, she was talking to us and her memory seemed good, then she fell asleep and didn't wake up.

Headaches are nothing to mess with. Especially when you get the worst one you ever had.

Best wishes to you!

@xThor I am so sorry to read this. Hang in there! The ER grind is tiring - thinking of you and hope you get some rest. Take good care, go easy and get better.

that is why everyone should carry aspirin in their golf bag - it is the first thing needed if a stroke occurs

that is why everyone should carry aspirin in their golf bag - it is the first thing needed if a stroke occurs
Actually, you don't want to take aspirin during a stroke. You want to make the blood clot during a stroke, not thin it out.

Google turns up a bunch of stuff about this, but here is one:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/when-to-take-aspirin-for-a-medical-emergency/

The above link does say that 85% of strokes are the type that aspirin can help, but you have up to 48 hours to do it. So they suggest waiting for a doctor to decide because the other 15% will keep the brain bleed flowing instead of clotting.

I do keep aspirin around in case someone has a heart attack though. About to replace it with the chewable kind as the article suggests.

Um, no. That's an MI. Until the stat head CT rules out a bleed, you might be bleeding.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Holy **** @xThor. I don't know how I missed this until just now. Sending you my best wishes, man. Scary stuff and thank you for the awareness chart. I've never seen one.

im exhausted
Man dude…thoughts and prayers for a swift recovery! Plenty of us here if you ever feel like letting loose with someone to talk with.

Holy smokes, that's so very scary. The response by your friend, your own awareness and the medical team was fantastic. Best wishes sent in earnest for you to heal quickly and steadily.

Today was a rough day. I know the ups and downs of emotions will come, this morning was a down. At some points everything hits all at once, other parts of the day I feel like a robot with no emotions at all. I know my wife has been stressed and I feel like I’m putting her through a lot, but she’s an absolute angel.
I got my heart monitor on today. Lots of scheduling appointments.

One day at a time. I’m really looking forward to tomorrow

im exhausted
Sorry about what you’re dealing with. Keep going forward! Positive vibes your way!

Day 3 has been my best day yet, and a somewhat sense of normalcy. I cannot thank @Canadan enough for that.

I got the most steps in I have since the event.

I took a good nap after pop hunting, then had a good dinner. I’m exhausted so going to go to bed now. My leg is absolutely tired from trying to walk.

today was a good day

Day 3 has been my best day yet, and a somewhat sense of normalcy. I cannot thank @Canadan enough for that.

I took a good nap after pop hunting, then had a good dinner. I’m exhausted so going to go to bed now. My leg is absolutely tired from trying to walk.

today was a good day
Glad to hear it.

That is a good step in the right direction!

today was a good day
Let's go, kid!!

Tomorrow is going to be even better. You need to get our and get some pansears.

today was a good day
Great to hear!! That @Canadan is a good one. Thanks for helping xThor bro!!

One day at a time, and you'll be back to normal before you know it. Rooting for you and thinking of you. I wish I was closer and could help more, but if there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask. You got this buddy!!

Back