Have you ever played with guys who never cleaned their clubs ?

EJ333

Reaction score
Handicap
I know it seems weird, but did you ever play with anyone who never appeared to clean their club faces in what appears to be months or even years worth of grass and grass stains ? I have. One guy was a former college gymnast and was a high handicapper that plays one a week that had what appeared to be years worth of grass stains on his club faces. The other was a single digit player that played often and should have known better, but had caked on grass on his irons that appeared to be leftover from at least ten rounds. Are these people normal ?

Yes, and I like to call him dad. I think my dad cleans his clubs, maybe, once a month.

My dad does this as well but he plays only a round every few weeks. I make him clean (or clean for him) his clubs when we go out.

iOS using Tapatalk

Exactly what they said, my dad never cleans his clubs and wonders why his distances are off.

Kongfrontation

I wonder if that's a generational thing or something? Dad just doesn't seem to care. I couldn't look down and see a club face with the grooves all full of dirt and crap. I've never understood it.

Do y'alls dad's clean around the house and stuff? I know it's always been something that mom did more of than dad. Wonder if that has something to do with it?

Do y'alls dad's clean around the house and stuff? I know it's always been something that mom did more of than dad. Wonder if that has something to do with it?

My dad cleans the house like crazy. He treats his clubs more like a lawn mower (leaves them next to the mower in the garage) so maybe that has more to do with it. No clue. I ride him about it because dirt and grass can effect play.

iOS using Tapatalk

my one buddy never cleans his clubs he told me once i was dumb for cleaning my irons after every shot... he said you only should clean them if your playing in a tourney. i just laughed at him and said ok. Im not a complete clean freak but my irons are always clean.

I have a good friend that I think i've seen clean his clubs 2 or 3 times in the 12 years we've been playing together, they're pittiful looking lol, his grips are old, his ball is dirty and he still beats me often.

I think he'd be lost with clean grooves.

I have and actually caddied for one 2 years ago in the club championship after I was eliminated. I cleaned his clubs and grooves for him while we were playing. After the round he said his clubs hadn't looked that good since he first got them. He now cleans them and takes care of them better.

I wonder if that's a generational thing or something? Dad just doesn't seem to care. I couldn't look down and see a club face with the grooves all full of dirt and crap. I've never understood it.

+1...if pops cleaned anything it would be amazing. My moms is a great lady and has made life wonderful for all the men in the family. I took after her and my bro took after dad. He def. doesn't clean his clubs either

Kongfrontation

I know it seems weird, but did you ever play with anyone who never appeared to clean their club faces in what appears to be months or even years worth of grass and grass stains ? I have. One guy was a former college gymnast and was a high handicapper that plays one a week that had what appeared to be years worth of grass stains on his club faces. The other was a single digit player that played often and should have known better, but had caked on grass on his irons that appeared to be leftover from at least ten rounds. Are these people normal ?

No. Grooves on clubfaces are there for a very good reason.

This is interesting because I thought I was crazy for cleaning my clubs as often as I do. Glad to know there guys out here that do as well.

Yes, and I like to call him dad. I think my dad cleans his clubs, maybe, once a month.

Same. My dad barely ever cleans his clubs so I do it for him. My dad doesn't play much at all so it isn't a big deal, but my friend, who plays with me multiple times a week doesn't clean his clubs ever. They look disgusting and I'm not sure if I could go through that with my clubs.

It can't be a totally generational thing. I am 58 and I keep mine clean. Generally on the range before a round I clean each club I hit, and when I change clubs I clean the ones in between if needed. We have club cleaning stations at about every 4th-5th bag holder on the range. Then on the course, our carts now have club cleaners on them. Additionally, if I get caught in any weather that gets my equipment wet, I bring it all in to be wiped and dried. It is not unusual to see my clubs lined up (in numerical order of course) along a kitchen wall to air dry thoroughly.

I dont clean mine but about once every 2 months, or eight rounds. I just keep the grooves clear.

My clubs are dirty as sheesh. My grooves get cleaned if theyre really bad, but the actual faces on my clubs are dirty as hell. If there is a big mud clod, Ill remove it obviously. Let me take a pic of what they look like right now. I generally wouldnt have a problem hitting a golf ball with these.

edfaec3a.jpg

2aa32d65.jpg

A couple of my buddies rarely clean their clubs. Once in a while they use my brush and towel. But all in all they just play it as is. Or if the course cleans their clubs after the round then they tip that guy a buck or so. All in all though their clubs remain dirty for quite some time. I clean my club after each shot and then after each round I bring them in now to clean them thoroughly.

A buddy of mine never cleans his. He plays 1-2 time/year with me and has an old set of Wilson blades in a beat-up old Sunday bag. Not only do they stay dirty, but the shafts and heads are speckled w. rust. He hits em good so I dont 'spose it matters much.
I generally keep mine clean....I figure I need all the help I can get w. distance & accuracy. :act-up:

We have a ball & club washer mounted on our cart, so it's an easy matter for me to keep things clean throughout the round. If we're waiting for the group ahead of us to clear the green or something, I use the time to give some of the clubs a quick scrub...it keeps me busy and from getting upset if we're just standing there waiting for slow play to move.

My dad never used to until I got him into it. Now we both clean our clubs after every round. My brother almost never does. Maybe once every 2-3 months.

My clubs are dirty as sheesh. My grooves get cleaned if theyre really bad, but the actual faces on my clubs are dirty as hell. If there is a big mud clod, Ill remove it obviously. Let me take a pic of what they look like right now. I generally wouldnt have a problem hitting a golf ball with these.

edfaec3a.jpg

2aa32d65.jpg

Holy cow, that second pic looks like a bug splattered on the face lol

My father-in-law never cleaned his old clubs, and he was a much better player than I was. When I bought new clubs and gave him my TA 845s, he started to clean them more often. I clean my clubs with a wet towel after every shot, and give them a warm soapy clean between rounds. I can't stand to have them dirty.

Ive played with guys that were so furious as to why they couldnt hit one good shot. Then you look down at the clubface and notice there is about an inch of dirt and grass plastered to it. Ummmmmm, duh! Those grooves arent there for looks

I clean mine after every round!

Mine get cleaned during the round and then about every three or four rounds they get the full sink treatment. I've played with guys who never clean their clubs, some who play pretty solid golf with very dirty, grime filled grooves.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Back