Have you ever gone back to an old club?

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
So, about 8 or 9 years ago, I bought an Odyssey DART blade putter. I love the putter at first for how easy it was to aim but at the time, I was still at the height of my Mizuno fandom and wanted a Mizuno putter, so I traded in the DART.
It was for me, one of those clubs that I sold but always wished that I hadnt. So, fast forward to now and from time to time I would think to myself, "you know, if I ever came across a nice used DART blade, Id probably buy it". It was one of those nagging thoughts that I would have from time to time, so the other day I figured I would just go a quick little Ebay search and wouldnt you know it, I came across a brand new DART blade putter. It was a little pricey at $109 but I figured how often am I going to find a brand new one that doesnt have a ton of bag chatter marks, especially on a putter that is almost 10 years old. So, I bought it.
Now I just need to find a Titleist Bullseye that someone bought and new used.

Absolutely. I think it's relatively rare that the most current clubs have a design and, or, functional improvement over that brand's previous generation clubs.
For example, my experience has been that glued in heads have a better impact sound and more solid impact feel/sound than heads connected to a shaft with an adapter. And I think Scotty Cameron's 1990's era putter designs perform better than his more recent putter lines. And to me Ping's S55 model iron (really the whole series of S59, 58, 57, 56) were a better all around , all purpose performing iron than any of the iron designs Ping has subsequently introduced etc....

Yes....

I usually sell off or trade in old equipment so I haven't had that opportunity yet.

I had an old Slotline putter that was kinda my go-to putter for many years. New putters came and were used, but I always came back to the Slotline putter. For some reason it always felt right in my hands were others didn't.

I've done it in the past with both drivers and putters. Buy something shiny and new and once the honeymoon is over, discover that the old one actually worked better for me.

I've done it in the past with both drivers and putters. Buy something shiny and new and once the honeymoon is over, discover that the old one actually worked better for me.

That seems to be the way of it, most of the time.

Yes, My hybrid gone back twice.

I’ve only been back into things for a short whole so not really.

Every time I try to put a new sand wedge in the bag, I keep going back to a Ben Hogan Special sand wedge. I've had it since 1973 and it looks totally worn out, but it still works better than any other sand wedge I've tried. The sole is so worn the engraved Sand Iron is completely worn out.

Attachments

• 2 24 16 SW c.jpg
    2 24 16 SW c.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 2 24 16 SW b.jpg
    2 24 16 SW b.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2 24 16 SW a.jpg
    2 24 16 SW a.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 13
I had an old Slotline putter that was kinda my go-to putter for many years. New putters came and were used, but I always came back to the Slotline putter. For some reason it always felt right in my hands were others didn't.
3 feel clubs in the bag.
Driver
Gap, Sand and Lob wedges
Putter

Stay with the Slotline.

I had an old Superfast driver that I loved but it fell out of favour. It was sold. A couple of years ago I saw one on an auction site and it was a good price so I thought 'why not?' and picked it up.
I don't ply it very often, but it's still a fun club to hit and it not going to be sold, ever.

I go back to my Ram Zebra, as long as it has a playable grip on it.
If I haven't played it in too long, the grip will be dried out.

I bought it in 1978 for $75. An average putter was around thirty bucks back then.

Sometimes, if I'm struggling with greenside bunkers, I'll bag a specialty sand wedge--one that's pretty useless from grass.
I still think that specialty sand irons are better than modern wedges from greenside bunkers, but including one means going without another club.

Often. I'm actually, half tempted to put one of my old SMT drivers in the bag for fun.

Ping B60 putter. I alternate sometimes between that and my Ping Pal 6 putter in becu.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

No I don't. That's because either I don't have the clubs anymore, or I can't find them.

There was a Golden Bear putter I had with a copper insert I think... just a bladey kind of putter. I don't remember why I stopped using it and if I could find it, I'd game it to try to overcome my dislike of blade putters. I haven't seen it in a while and I think it's gone...

I recently put my R7 driver back in the bag. Not as long as my M1, but I'm hitting fairways again which is VERY nice.

every time i sell old stuff a few months later im like man i wish i hadnt done that..
there are a couple old wedges i go back to.

Yep, quite often. Check the 5W spot in my WITB.

Last year while just fooling around with some old clubs in my basement, I came across a Ping-Eye 2 sand wedge that must be at least 35 years old. I discovered that I really liked the way it felt and set up so I took my 60* wedge out of my bag and put the Ping in. My short game has improved a lot and so has my bunker play.

I switch back and forth on putters. I have a mySpider X and a Vons anser style putter. The Vons is circa 2001, I think.

I hit ebay a bit ago. It was a bear tracker putter. Still don't know why I stopped using it. Not going to replace it though. It can stay lost

Only when I cracked the face of my driver a couple of years ago.
I pulled out the Taylormade SuperTri for the rest of the year.
I still sometimes wonder if I made the right move to put it away.....

Back