Have Cell Phones Actually Improved Daily Life?

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I don’t mean this is a flippant way. I have been thinking about this over the last few days quite a bit. I know most people would just say yes because it’s a life changing technology. But it is a net good? I was walking through Publix yesterday and had to avoid multiple people who were distracted by their phones, either just standing in the way not doing anything or talking and not actively paying attention to what is around.

Pros:
Knowledge in the palm of your hand.
Ability to get help in an emergency.
Convenience.
Social interaction.
Near-immediate news and information.
Always have a camera.

And tons more.

Cons:
Always available.
Less work disconnection.
Social media and opinion amplification.
Increased anxiety (statistically).
Distraction (driving/walking).
Dependency.

And tons more.

And I know that this all sounds ridiculous at first blush. But then I think about it more and it sounds more reasonable to me.

For example, cell phones allow you to call for help if you are in a car accident. But then how many car accidents are caused by distracted drivers on their phones?

Cell phones allow you to take pictures and videos of important times, but they also cause you to miss living in the moment and enjoying those experiences.

It’s not as if life failed to exist when we didn’t have cell phones. People communicated with land lines for half a century. I am curious to hear some thoughts about this as I spiral.

There are positives, big ones. But it's a huge net negative. (As I type on my cell phone)

I ofter wonder how the world worked before even land lines. So crazy to think about.

It’s like the Internet - social media ruined everything. Now get off my d$@& lawn.

It’s like the Internet - social media ruined everything. Now get off my d$@& lawn.
I get the sentiment. But I’m not really even focusing on social media. It’s more of the piping concepts of having all this information available, but not necessarily the knowledge to use it. For example, I can watch a video of swing tips from Hank Haney on YouTube, but does that mean I can now tell people how to swing? That’s what happens all the time when someone reads a Wikipedia article or a review of something.

And the ads. Constantly, every day, sent right to me throughout the day. Like driving down a highway with billboards every 100 feet.

Why am I checking my email at 9:15 pm? It’s a habit, and I’m not sure I’m better for it.

Yes and no. And which way it tips depends, in a large part, on how it's used by the individual.

Unquestionably yes for me. All of the cons you listed can be avoided with self control and boundaries.

Overall, I’d say yes.

Unquestionably yes for me. All of the cons you listed can be avoided with self control and boundaries.
Agree 100%. The phone is not just convienent, it promotes efficiency if not abused. The ability to call my wife and ask her if she needs anything on my way home. The ability of my guys to reach me when I am out of my truck and away from the radio (most of the time). Texting maps and infrastructure pics to and fro between engineering, work crews and management. texting lists of supplies to runners. I think cells are indispensable tools.

I had this same thought when all the phones popped up when the fans surrounded 18 at the US Open. Does it truly take away from experiencing moments like that.

From the work perspective, the first 19 years of my career were pre iPhone so texting was not really a thing nor was dependence on a smartphone for everything from email to news. When my career with 3M began in 1997 we had dial up connections and sometimes it would take 15+ minutes to get connected through my work VPN. We also had bag cell phones with 2 lb lead acid batteries that had poor coverage especially in my territory which included the mountains of NorCal and Nevada. The expectation was to check your emails once or twice a week, lol.

When the smartphone arrived, it made things easier for me and allowed me to do things like play golf or go skiing on a a work day and still be productive so that was a big positive. 400+ customers having my number and being able to text, call, or email me and expect a response within hours or less was a huge negative.

Looking back now that I’ve been retired 5 years, I had better work/life balance before smartphones were a thing. One of the best parts of retirement is shutting my phone off or leaving it behind entirely during a round of golf or when I’m out doing things like boating, skiing, or hunting. My wife and I make it a point to leave our phones behind when we go on one of our 90+ minute daily walks. Occasionally my wife has to bring hers along for work reasons and often gets distracted by a work call/text/email. A big negative that is pretty common with my wife and many of those that are gainfully employed.

Last edited:
Nothing more frustrating for me than to be busy doing something and the damn phone rings and I'm thinking i better answer it and it's a spam caller trying to sell something. Can't tell you how many times I've answered and said "F***k 'you.

This is my feeling as well. Sadly there are too many people who don’t have either of the things listed as cons.

In my opinion it's a huge net negative.

And I understand the grocery store issue. I know I head out to the store with a coupon app on my phone and items pre-selected that I can get some money back on. I'm always searching that app to make sure I'm buying the correct thing. However while I'm doing that I notice that sometimes I'm in someone's way or taking longer than I would like in the store - so about halfway through I say F*** it and just go off whatever I can remember.

I also have a phone full of pictures of my kids. Just tons of them. But I often wonder when I'm going to look at them again? Like honestly, outside of 50 of them that are memorable or get used as a background/etc. Will I go back at all of them? Will I ever save them all to a hard drive and print off the goods or just keep them loaded on there? Will they disappear when I get a new phone in a few years?

Trying to live in the moment more and put the phone down, but it's a hard chore at times.

I'd be interested to know the age of people who say it's mostly positive too.

I wonder if being younger and always having had a cell phone if you feel like they're necessary in day to day life.

I never had one until college and I remember waiting as long as I possible could before I got one, because I didn't want to be bothered by everyone. This was way before smart phones, LOL.

It has made things more convenient in many respects but I survived without one in the past.

I try to disconnect myself from my phone when engaged in activities that do not require a necessary access to a cellphone. I don’t carry my phone when running, hiking, exercising or playing golf unless circumstances are such that I need it.

I'd say absolutely yes that cell phones have improved daily life. If they hadn't they wouldn't have become so prevalent in everyone's lives. Are there some huge negatives, sure because people suck as a group and platforms allowing some level of anonymity allow people to be their worst self with few repercussions. But cell phones have made people, information and such much more available which is generally a good thing.

Question for those that say it's a huge net negative....why have one then? It's a choice.

If people could control their use of the phones ...

The instant access to call for help in an emergency is a HUGE postive

but overall no, cell phones have destroyed daily life and social interaction. The morons staring at their phone while driving. Cell phones out at dinner table / restaurants

I'd say absolutely yes that cell phones have improved daily life. If they hadn't they wouldn't have become so prevalent in everyone's lives. Are there some huge negatives, sure because people suck as a group and platforms allowing some level of anonymity allow people to be their worst self with few repercussions. But cell phones have made people, information and such much more available which is generally a good thing.

Question for those that say it's a huge net negative....why have one then? It's a choice.

Is it a choice though? My employer requires a cell phone because that's how I'm required to authenticate to my work computer. I had older co-workers quit/retire, because of it. I guess I could choose not to work, LOL.

I understand your point, I really do. And I wish I could make the choice to use mine less often. It'd be better for everyone. But I'd also argue that having more information available at your fingertips isn't only a good thing. I remember being much happier when I knew less. It was less to worry about.

I'd be interested to know the age of people who say it's mostly positive too.

I wonder if being younger and always having had a cell phone if you feel like they're necessary in day to day life.

I never had one until college and I remember waiting as long as I possible could before I got one, because I didn't want to be bothered by everyone. This was way before smart phones, LOL.

I got my first one in 1995 primarily for work related purposes. It was a primitive model compared to today’s smartphones. It was so that I could communicate with clients or people if the office if I was not in the office and if I didn’t want to search out a landline or pay phone (I can remember the days of carrying a dime or quarter in case I needed to make a phone call.

I'm trying to imagine going through the final years of my mother's life without having mobile phones and smartphones. Coordinating between siblings living hundreds of miles apart, caregivers, hospitals, doctors, call outs in the middle of the night and of course keeping in touch with my mother herself while she was dealing with health crises, falls and other injuries. Not to mention the unspeakable complications that commenced in early 2020 as the pandemic ravaged elder care facilities and she was not allowed physical access to her family.

Compared to the benefits our family experienced by being able to stay in touch and manage her affairs, a bunch of whinging about people texting in Publix or whatever seems frankly idiotic.

You mean like when people are grocery shopping and have to talk on speaker at the same time??

Back