Hard data vs "feel"

Hard data vs "feel"

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • I have in the past, but not currently.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 32 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SleevePlz

2024 Team Paradise
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
How many of you utilize data tracking devices/app while playing? Based on casual observation in other threads, it doesn't seem like a very high percentage, but I would have guessed that the golf nerds on here would be huge adopters of the tech tracking side of things. If you don't, why not? If you do, how has it changed your game? If you are doing a review for THP, do/would you feel compelled to use some tracking software to validate your findings or just go with "feel"?

It has been my experience that most people that keep stats have no idea what to do with them or how to improve upon them. I don't need stats to know that I need to work on my driver or irons. Stats aren't going to make me a better golfer.

Now if you are working with a pro to help improve your stats that is a different animal but I have found that most don't do this.

I don't use any tracking apps or similar things. I'll make a note on the score card for greens hit from time to time.

I don't use anything beyond the occasional GPS. Mostly because I don't have anything to test with. For review purposes here, I go with feel and what ever quantifiable data I can provide.

The staff writers all have pretty good data tracking stuff, and can usually provide numbers, as well as a few of the members, so I think there's a lot of good solid data provided.

I don't for two reasons. First, I'm simply not interested in doing it. I don't want to be filling out anything other than the scorecard when playing, it would take me out of the zen and also the social part if playing with someone else. Secondly, I believe I already know what parts of my game I need to practise and I don't have too much time to practice anyways, so I doubt a tracking devise would help me much.

My areas of weakness are obvious without keeping stats. A data tracking device would distract me from the task at hand. I aslo don't need a launch monitor to narrow down a shaft that fits. I have used launch monitors to confirm what my eyes have already told me, but I'd be perfectly content to never use one again.

I don't feel like dropping the money on arccos or game golf and i don't care to use apps out there to track stats that I'm not going to use. I practice enough and and can judge by my rounds where my weaknesses are and they get the attention needed in my practice sessions. I wish everything would click every round but that doesn't always happen so I use what I saw to work on my game

I like the idea of Arccos is bringing out soon with their course management software. It might help me on some holes that I struggle with but other than that I go off of feel.

If you know how a ball reacts in the air, you don't really need a launch monitor to tell you if it's spinning too much or too little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have misunderstood the question but I use golfpad the bulk of the time although really the only stat I pay attention to is distance. If I am 160 out I like KNOWING what club that is the average distance for, I don't like trying to think over time is that my 8 iron or my 7 or my 6...confirmation bias makes it likely I would remember the outlier shots not the average. Golfpad is so fast and easy I have played rounds with people who after mentioned they appreciated me not even having a phone with me when I used it over 90 times to monitor shots...so it doesn't take any time or concentration it is just automatic pilot. takes less time than a rangefinder and helps select shots going forward.

I have used Game Golf in the past, and found it very useful as I was deciding how to prioritize what part of my game to work on. Additionally, it helped me get a more consistent idea on specific full swing yardages. It's quite possible, I will give it a go, again, this season, to do something similar.

It has been my experience that most people that keep stats have no idea what to do with them or how to improve upon them. I don't need stats to know that I need to work on my driver or irons. Stats aren't going to make me a better golfer.

Now if you are working with a pro to help improve your stats that is a different animal but I have found that most don't do this.

My horrible stats were what finally got me to go see a teaching professional. For years I thought I was doing OK, then when I saw that my driving was that of a 36 handicap and my approaches were that of a 24, yet I was carrying a 14 cap made me realize that trying to work through things on my own was not working.

At this point I use the data more to analyze how I played and to see if the work I am putting in (with my pro and then my own practice trying to implement what we worked on) but as I progress I think we will start looking at this data so we can start seeing where else I can shave some strokes. Or at least I am planning to get to that point.

The only stat tracking I use is the score feature on my Garmin watch, which records fairway hit/miss left/miss right and number of putts - from these I could then download the information to my PC and it will work out my percentage of fairways and greens hit, give me the total number of putts for the round and scorecard for the round

It is so quick and simple to use I will do it either whilst walking to the next tee or whilst waiting for the rest of the group to tee off

I rarely used it though as my previous course wasn't fully mapped due to the work they have going on, but my new course is fully mapped so I may use it more from now on - whether I actually use those figures for anything is another matter as I can tell by how I am playing what I need to work on

My areas of weakness are obvious without keeping stats. A data tracking device would distract me from the task at hand. I aslo don't need a launch monitor to narrow down a shaft that fits. I have used launch monitors to confirm what my eyes have already told me, but I'd be perfectly content to never use one again.

I feel the same, I've been deceived looking at numbers on a launch monitor, and club not always perform that way on the course. Seeing it on the course and how the club feels and performs is all I need. I really don't need a launch monitor to confirm.

I "keep stats" in the sense that I write down fairways, putts, and penalties on my scorecard, but I don't tabulate them over time. I don't think it's necessary, because on the few instances that I have done it in the past, I find that they validate what I already know I need to improve on (hit more GIR, improve chipping/sand play).

I use The Grint, which in my view gives the most detail for the buck without distracting from the zen of the round to use someone's word. Some of the automated tools would give more information that I would love to have, but I am not ready to spring for that yet.

The Grint stats tell me the extent of my progress in areas I'm working on, and the aggregate stats have shown me what a lousy course manager I've been. It's helped me put together a plan for 2017 and I am pretty optimistic about it.

My answer depends upon how you'd define devices. I track many different things during each round with a pencil and scorecard and track it all in spreadsheets. Been doing so for years. GHIN also tracks some of it. But I enter my info into GHIN from those same scorecards, not through an app on the course.

I use them off and on every now and then. Like others I feel like can tell where I need the most work and I find the apps to be a distraction. So if I keep them it's only for a few rounds to confirm what I believe is occurring on the course.

For years I kept track of things each round, and would even put them in a spreadsheet but found I never went back to them and did anything with them and would quit mid way through the season. Then do the same thing the next year, never going back and doing anything with them. Like you said, you know when you're having issues with your drives or your putting or whatever. That's when you make a post in the Swing Tips section and wait for your answer. :)

Now, I will mark down if I hit a fairway or whatever, count it up at the end of a round just for fun and then let it go.

I have tried the game golf tags, just added to much extra for me to think about reshot.

I've always used apps to note where my misses were off the tee, how many putts, etc. I can input those into OOB where I keep my handicap and go back to track progress.

In the grand scheme of things, yes I know my driving and putting needs work, I don't need an app for that!! But I do like to revisit scorecards and see where I've had blowup holes in the past and play them differently to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't, not really concerned. Only keep track of fairways and green in reg

I've been using Arccos and I love it. It does not remove the "feel" part of the game for me but simply provides me with data on my game.

I have used Arcoss in the past and it was part of my discussions with my instructor at the time. I certainly found it useful. I got new clubs and have not installed the sensors on the new clubs and since I'm a bit iffy about Arcoss' new methodology, I think I'm just going to leave them off until perhaps generation 3 comes out.

I have used Arcoss in the past and it was part of my discussions with my instructor at the time. I certainly found it useful. I got new clubs and have not installed the sensors on the new clubs and since I'm a bit iffy about Arcoss' new methodology, I think I'm just going to leave them off until perhaps generation 3 comes out.

What don't you like about the 2nd generation?

Back