Half My Handicap in 12 Months

@alistaird just thinking a bit on my own journey here and thought I’d jot a few things down that I found helpful.

We’re all different so I’m not saying this is what you should do, just that these are things that I feel contributed to lowering my cap quickly this season. In no particular order:

-Physical fitness - huge factor. The fitter I get, the better I play. I recommend the Fit for Golf program.

-Walking most rounds. I just play better when I’m not in a cart.

-If you’re gonna walk, bring nutrition with you.

-May go without saying, but: no alcohol until the 19th hole.

-Play with people who are better than you and who “get it.” I stopped playing with the “hey I’m outta beer where’s the cart girl” set for the most part.

-The mental aspects of the game are super important. Routine, course management, etc. Lower overall scores come from avoiding doubles (and bogeys if possible), not from chasing birdies.

-Ball striking skills - if you don’t already know the ball flight laws, familiarize yourself with them, and work on controlling low point, face angle and swing path. That’ll help minimize poor strikes and also assist in triaging problems when they arise.

-Play it down and putt everything out. It’ll pay off in the long run.

-Enjoy the good shots, laugh off the bad ones… it’s a game after all.

Practical Golf (Jon Sherman) and Adam Young Golf are great resources.

This last bit is probably controversial;

I post solo rounds. I find the USGA’s rule on this issue silly. I play a ton of golf (posted 100 rounds this season) and at least 25% were solo. I play it down, by the rules and count every stroke whether anyone’s watching or not.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Great points. Some echo my experience, especially the fitness bit. When Im loose and playing freely I score better as well.

Great points. Some echo my experience, especially the fitness bit. When Im loose and playing freely I score better as well.

Same here.

This place (and the internet in general) is full of swing tips, offered by well-meaning folks, most of which conflict, and none of which are standing here in front of us watching us actually play golf…

…so I don’t offer that sort of advice, nor do I accept it. Instead I try to focus on the stuff I find helpful that seems to me to be universal, like fitness - physical and mental.

Same here.

This place (and the internet in general) is full of swing tips, offered by well-meaning folks, most of which conflict, and none of which are standing here in front of us watching us actually play golf…

…so I don’t offer that sort of advice, nor do I accept it. Instead I try to focus on the stuff I find helpful that seems to me to be universal, like fitness - physical and mental.
agreed, and also why this thread appealed to me. The decision making being smart is something we can all do.

This will be a great follow. Good points and plan to follow!

Well - last round was patchy (41/46) - some really good stuff and some not so good stuff - topped driver and woods off the tee every time so after 1/2 dozen holes they stayed in the bag and had to resort to 4-iron of the tee. No lost balls off the tee but 3 lost balls in the leaves! Only in the woods once off the tee and we found it for a chip out. Front 9 had 5 pars in a row and then a bogey and triple... Back 9 was still worse than the front and the putting was worse so it's a mental thing around losing focus. Anyway dropped a shot off the handicap so the aim of 1 shot off per month I guess is still on the cards. 30 minute lesson scheduled next week on the GCQuad to see if we can tune up a few things. Back to some foam ball practice with the Driver and Woods to see if I can get the contact back. Had I been able to hit the driver and not lose 3 balls - then breaking 80 wasn't that far away.

A
5 pars in a row is something to be proud of 👊. Keep it up, sounds like some things are clicking.

5 pars in a row is something to be proud of . Keep it up, sounds like some things are clicking.
Thanks Ryan I've been following your journey as well. Our course is punishing if you're slightly off line, trees and mainly small raised greens... it rewards smart play and punishes mistakes severely...

A

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Thanks Ryan I've been following your journey as well. Our course is punishing if you're slightly off line, trees and mainly small raised greens... it rewards smart play and punishes mistakes severely...

A

Sounds like we are in the same boat at least in one aspect, my home course has fairly small greens - it's a little more open but the holes without trees have tall fescue that will eat up a ball pretty quick! Interesting you bring up punishing mistakes, I think that's an important thing for both of us to consider in the pursuit of this goal, we will make mistakes. The takeaway could be to either not let them compound, or to keep a mental count of when it happens and focus on keeping them to a minimum. Depending on the course rating as a 10 HCP we are looking at a score between 82 to 88, meaning we can make 10-16 "mistakes" relative to par.

Sounds like we are in the same boat at least in one aspect, my home course has fairly small greens - it's a little more open but the holes without trees have tall fescue that will eat up a ball pretty quick! Interesting you bring up punishing mistakes, I think that's an important thing for both of us to consider in the pursuit of this goal, we will make mistakes. The takeaway could be to either not let them compound, or to keep a mental count of when it happens and focus on keeping them to a minimum. Depending on the course rating as a 10 HCP we are looking at a score between 82 to 88, meaning we can make 10-16 "mistakes" relative to par.

I agree. I try and keep a mental note of bad shot vs bad choice vs bad luck. Same with putting good stroke vs bad read.

There is a good point above as well about playing with people better than you, I seem to play better on a playing lesson or when I’m playing with people I don’t know. I think it’s concentrating more than when I have a laugh with mates…

Your journey is progressing well and I hope to make your sort of progress. And I welcome your input here.

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Achilles injury has been hampering my on-course time most certainly, but the good news is that the consultant says I can continue to play golf, bad news is that it's 12-18 month recovery but at least no tear and the connection to the heel bone looks good... Lesson tonight to see where we are (only 1/2 hour on the GC Quad) as we were hoping that a small tune up should be all that's necessary after the last on-course lesson.

Will continue to play through the winter and have lessons so that I'm ready to try and bring the 'cap down in the spring.

A

Same here.

I think if the advice is less mechanics and more strategy for the course/thinking your round out, a lot of that is universal in it's application.

Lesson was (y).... Clearly the foam ball work is helping with contact and the swing path was 100% consistent - in to out between 0.5 and 2* on every swing. Club face is not 100% as controlled as I would like but it's getting there. Plus for some reason - I have gained swing speed and the improved contact is really helping the distance (and hopefully the consistency) but GC Quad was giving me 175-180 yards carry on the 7i and 250 carry on the Driver which is unheard of for me. Was over 100mph on the swing speed for the driver which is probably 4-5mph up on the last lesson.

🤞🤞🤞🤞 it continues..... But as the pro said - it's sometimes harder to keep the swing than to get it there.

A

I think if the advice is less mechanics and more strategy for the course/thinking your round out, a lot of that is universal in it's application.

Agreed. It’s the mechanical stuff I avoid.

Another lesson last week - it feels really close to being good, and the swing on the GCQuad is giving really nice results. Tried the new 3W I've had built up from an old Mavrik Max 3W head off of the 'bay - coupled with a TiFiber shaft I picked up very cheaply off the 'bay. Results were interesting in that I've never had a 3W or 4W that I can hit but this one was going 250+ off the mat. So the swing is going well - just need to be able to take it to the course consistently (which in this sub zero weather will be tricky...)

So we found a slight modification in the back swing with a good checkpoint so lots of swing work at home to try and groove the checkpoint slowly and then build up to swings with my foam balls. Then maybe onto the range in a week or so.

A

Last edited:
Another lesson last week - it feels really close to being good, and the swing on the GCQuad is giving really nice results. Tried the new 3W I've had built up from an old Mark Max 3W head off of the 'bay - coupled with a TiFiber shaft I picked up very cheaply off the 'bay. Results were interesting in that I've never had a 3W or 4W that I can hit but this one was going 250+ off the mat. So the swing is going well - just need to be able to take it to the course consistently (which in this sub zero weather will be tricky...)

So we found a slight modification in the back swing with a good checkpoint so lots of swing work at home to try and groove the checkpoint slowly and then build up to swings with my foam balls. Then maybe onto the range in a week or so.

A

A 3 wood that you can hit 250 yards and are confident with could be a big part of the secret sauce to lower your index. I’ve always been much straighter off the tee with a strong 3 wood and use it often off the tee including sometimes on par 5’s. My gamer is an old Callaway from 2014 and it would be the hardest club in my bag to replace. I have six newer 3 woods from Callaway and others but none of them have lasted more than a few rounds. I also play courses often that are very penal if you miss the fairway and having the discipline to resist the temptation to hit driver even on longer par 4’s and some par 5’s is much easier if you have a 3 wood you love. I would say it shaves a stroke or two off my index.

Good luck with your journey!

Well - my second ever round sub 80 (well in my mind anyway).....

Shot 74 for 17 holes (one of our Par 3s was closed on the front 9) so even with a double bogey I would have been under 80 so that counts in my book!!! A couple lipped out for birdies as well and my putting was good but the short game deserted me today which is unusual. Made up for it by being on or near every fairway bar 2 and one of those I still had line of sight to the green through a big gap in the trees and ended up just short. If my short game had been ok would have been a great score.

Nice to have some consistency over a full round at last - maybe the practice is paying off....

A

Well - my second ever round sub 80 (well in my mind anyway).....

Shot 74 for 17 holes (one of our Par 3s was closed on the front 9) so even with a double bogey I would have been under 80 so that counts in my book!!! A couple lipped out for birdies as well and my putting was good but the short game deserted me today which is unusual. Made up for it by being on or near every fairway bar 2 and one of those I still had line of sight to the green through a big gap in the trees and ended up just short. If my short game had been ok would have been a great score.

Nice to have some consistency over a full round at last - maybe the practice is paying off....

A
The World Handicap System says to record par plus any handicap strokes if posting the score. So you are correct that your score should be considered a sub-80 round. Well done.

84 today. Some good some not so good, front 9 vs back 9 is equalling out but a couple of shots when I wasn’t 100% focused cost me 4 shots. Same ball played again so that’s at least 54 holes without losing a ball which is unheard of for me so signs of improved consistency.

A

All work being done at home (course is closed due to rain...), strengthening with SpeedStix, lots of swings without a ball and work with foam balls. Plus a lot of pitching and chipping practice (off a mat but better than nothing) in my practice area at home. Definitely seeing the benefits in scoring as I've posted above.

I'm working really hard at clearing my hips before bringing the arms through. This feels like I can then swing much more effectively at the ball once the hips are clear without risk of a horrible duck hook. I'm hoping that coupling this with the SpeedStix to increase strength in the hands and wrists I can control the club head much bettered through impact. This should lead to more consistent ball striking before I look to try and swing faster.

Pitching and chipping wise - really working on using the bounce through the swing - chipping without much if any wrist hinge and pitching using the Pelz approach. I find the Pelz approach to chipping puts the ball a bit far back in my stance and reduces the margin for error. If I put the ball in the middle of my ankles and then use the bounce, it seems to work more consistently. Using a game I invented of chipping each of 6 balls about 1 yard further than the previous one and then reversing it to get the feel of distance as well as working on contact.

Putting wise - started reading the Pelz bible and making sure the pendulum is vertical to give a straight back and through swing with my eyes over the ball. I wasn't too far off but this certainly helps. Working on 5 balls in a row into my putting mat cup - which is not too bad for 4 but you have to get the speed and line just right to sink the 5th. Good game for me.

Range session coming on Saturday where I will test my Jaws Raw 50* (thanks @baylrballa) vs Jaws Raw 52* vs Epic Forged 51* on Toptracer. Hopefully get some good stats to post on the Raw thread.

Lesson booked for next week so we will see how everything looks on the GCQuad and what the Pro sees - hopefully the practice will be effective. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

A

Still mainly working without the ball, focusing on swing feel, for PW through Driver. Some strength work with the SpeedStix and trying to start the swing, bottom up.

Chipping and pitching is improving, focusing on using the bounce and no wrist cock, so dead hands.

Lesson next week so we will see and first time on the range with my Apex 21 MBs in PW-7i. Looking for distance consistency and reducing the gapping. It’s going to result in 2 off when they hit the bag. First will be the PW to replace my AW which will give me a 41* and 46* PW. Weird……

A

It is with some apprehension that I post this video. First ever video I've seen of my swing. Not from when i played 20+ years ago nor from when i restated 15 months ago.

This is a slow mo from my home practice routine of 10 swings without the ball going for feel then clear the mind and hit a foam ball. This is a 7i where I'm working on a smoother swing to give me distance consistency with a new set of short irons to combo with my Epic Forged

View attachment YouCut_20230211_153949453.mp4

Please remember I'm a member of the Over 60s and currently playing off 19.5.

A

Last edited:
And a quick one of the Driver - not a very good video but I was using it to look at how I was coming into the ball and my wrists towards impact. Need one straight on next time.

Driver Video 1

A

Good luck!

And a quick one of the Driver - not a very good video but I was using it to look at how I was coming into the ball and my wrists towards impact. Need one straight on next time.

Driver Video 1

A
Your swings look pretty good!!

Interesting lesson last night and it shows how much this game is about feel. When I'm swinging well, path is normally 1-2* in to out and the weakness I have is I leave the club face open. Last lesson this has moved to 5-6* in to out so we corrected that in about 1/2 dozen swings and then worked on a few other things. This time, the effort in correcting the in to out has lead to an 2-3* out to in swing which we don't want (especially with my tendency to leave the face slightly open.). He said that the problem is I can feel and make the change back really easily - so once again 1/2 dozen swings and we were back on the right line again. Worked again at the face angle as well and we hit a few exactly straight - 0* in to out and 0* face to path. Wow did that feel good, but keeping that is hard as we all know.

Good news is I can correct easily when I know it's wrong -but I tend to go too far. Slowly learning what to do when things go awry so each lesson I learn and hopefully will be able to correct some of the issues as they develop without needing a lesson. Lesson plan is now 1/2 hour lessons on the range and then 1 1/2 hours on the course for the next lesson to see how it's going.

Also if you have seen any of my other posts, we are also looking to shrink the gapping at the bottom of the bag (my Epic Forged are around 15+ yards between clubs) and tighten up the distance dispersion. So I bought 4 Apex 21 MBs to try and build a combo set with the EFs. First time using these on the range (had played a couple of rounds with just the PW in the bag instead of the Epic AW) and it was interesting. Used the PW, 9 and 7 and the on good strikes the distance consistency was really good - 1-2 yards for each of the three irons. I'm not expecting to use the 7i but hoping eventually to use the PW, 9 and 8 and then 8-4i with the Epic Forged, 50, 54, 58 in Jaws Raw. Then 2 off Driver, 3w, HW - depending on the course - my home course does not really need Driver (maybe a very forgiving short shafted driver?) as it's short and very tight.

So a great lesson and hopefully will develop the consistency off the back of it to drive to better scoring. Thanks for following along.

A

Last edited:
Last round was 41/43. Trying out my Epic Forged 4i (18*) off the Tee instead of Driver or 3W. It's definitely worth it as it got better through the round and I've only ever tried it once before. So far it's more of a punch under the wind I'm working on. The course was wet, not much roll but it was a pretty reliable fairway finder.

Score should drop me 2.5 strokes I think (down to 17.)

What was nice was only 2 DBs but no birdies. Putting was a bit hit and miss otherwise it would have been a few less shots.

A

Back