Grip Question/Problem

10YardDraw

Ex Club Ho
Reaction score
Handicap
Slow Play!
Hey everybody i have a situation and im not sure what to think about it, before work this morning i went out to the clubhouse and had the head pro put my Iomic X-Evolution on my R11(RIP BETA), this was at 8:00am, everything went on perfect with the extra 2 wraps of tape, well got home from work and the bottom half of the grip is still moving around, top half is dry but the bottom half is really moving around, wouldnt you think 8hrs is long enough for a grip to dry? I asked him and he said he is known for using allot of solution to make it easier for them to go on, said give it some more time to dry. Well im not very happy, should i contact where i bought the grip and ask for a replacement, or do you think the grip is fine and he just used way to much solvent? Not sure what to do here cause these iomics arent cheap.

It should never take 8 hours to dry. I use quite a bit of solution and it is usually stable within 30 minutes and hittable in an hour or two at the most.

It should never take 8 hours to dry. I use quite a bit of solution and it is usually stable within 30 minutes and hittable in an hour or two at the most.

Great, thats what i thought also but just wanted to check, looks like i got a bad grip or something, have had the same guy install plenty of grips for me and never had a problem

Great, thats what i thought also but just wanted to check, looks like i got a bad grip or something, have had the same guy install plenty of grips for me and never had a problem

100%, I do my own grip work and use a ton of solvent and like Tomahawk, in 2 hours at the most you are good to go.

100%, I do my own grip work and use a ton of solvent and like Tomahawk, in 2 hours at the most you are good to go.

Damn that sucks, thanks guys for the info, i thought it should only take a couple hours at most to be playable, i can still twist the hole bottom half of the grip almost 180*, can make the Iomic emblem turn all the way to the back side of the shaft lol, guess im ordering some more NDMC, owell guess ill stick to my favorite grip from now on, just wanted to try something new since i love the Iomic Putter Grips

Damn that sucks, thanks guys for the info, i thought it should only take a couple hours at most to be playable, i can still twist the hole bottom half of the grip almost 180*, can make the Iomic emblem turn all the way to the back side of the shaft lol, guess im ordering some more NDMC, owell guess ill stick to my favorite grip from now on, just wanted to try something new since i love the Iomic Putter Grips

Ya I've been playing around with different grips for a while now, winn, UST Mamiya, Iomic, and I'm back on the NDMC train. They are the best for me.

Ya I've been playing around with different grips for a while now, winn, UST Mamiya, Iomic, and I'm back on the NDMC train. They are the best for me.

I agree, i always come back to them, the midsize fits my hand perfect and i love the feel.

Well guys when i got up this morning its still moving around some but not as much as what it was, its only the bottom 1/4 of it now instead of half. Could he really of used that much solvent that its taking this long to dry?

Well guys when i got up this morning its still moving around some but not as much as what it was, its only the bottom 1/4 of it now instead of half. Could he really of used that much solvent that its taking this long to dry?

No, I wouldn't think so, solvent dries very quickly, the only thing I can think of is, 1) he didn't use enough solvent on the bottom part of the grip tape to activate it, or 2) Something about he Iomic grip is holding in the solvent at the bottom and not allowing it to dry but to be honest I've done a lot of grips and never seen that before.

No, I wouldn't think so, solvent dries very quickly, the only thing I can think of is, 1) he didn't use enough solvent on the bottom part of the grip tape to activate it, or 2) Something about he Iomic grip is holding in the solvent at the bottom and not allowing it to dry but to be honest I've done a lot of grips and never seen that before.

+1 Normally it only takes an hour or two at most to dry completely. 10YD, when you say bottom half are you talking about the butt end half or the club head end half?

+1 Normally it only takes an hour or two at most to dry completely. 10YD, when you say bottom half are you talking about the butt end half or the club head end half?

Towards the clubhead where the Iomic is printed on the grip.

well damn, wishfull thinking i guess lol

Could it be possible that the 2 layers of tape are moving against each other instead of the grip moving on the tape?

Could it be possible that the 2 layers of tape are moving against each other instead of the grip moving on the tape?

good question cause i have no idea lol

Towards the clubhead where the Iomic is printed on the grip.

Could it be he didn't use long enough tape to that end? I noticed that if you use the precut tape that sometimes it's not long enough to reach down there (after the fold on the butt end) and that end of the grip shifts a bit. Not as much as you are describing though.

You think maybe the guy forgot to remove the backing on the second layer? Could be a possibility.

If you have access to an air compressor you should be able to get the grip off and try again (Iomics are tricky so use low psi so it doesn't balloon).

You think maybe the guy forgot to remove the backing on the second layer? Could be a possibility.

I don't know, the whole situation is just odd sounding to me. I've put Iomic putter grips on bare shaft with just air and haven't had them move after a few hours so...

Its the same guy that did my 2 Iomic grips on my putters, he knows what he's doing its his job lol, mistakes do happen but im pretty sure he took the backing off the tape.

If you have access to an air compressor you should be able to get the grip off and try again (Iomics are tricky so use low psi so it doesn't balloon).

I do have a air compressor in my garage but i have never blown a grip on or off so im not gonna try and screw it up, im affraid ill break something lol

I do have a air compressor in my garage but i have never blown a grip on or off so im not gonna try and screw it up, im affraid ill break something lol

If the guy that put the grip on is within reasonable travel distance I'd take it back and have him redo it. Looking at Iomic's website those grips a good with up to 4 layers of tape underneath, maybe the tape was old or maybe too much solvent washes away some of the glue (between the grip and tape or maybe between the tape and tape or tape and shaft).

If you have an old club around you should practice using the air compressor. It's nice to not only save the mess of solvent but being able to remove most grips in a reusable state is great. I'm sure there are vids on the net to help out with the process.

I have had this happen on a couple occasions, sometimes it can be the tape or its possible that somehow there was a problem with the solvent and the glue, hard to say. My club pro is very good about making things like this right. It just sucks that it happened on such an expensive grip, especially if your course is like mine and they do not keep the Iomic's in stock otherwise Im sure they would just replace it for you.

Sounds to me like others said that the tape is messed up or old. See if he can get it off with an air compressor and redo it. That thing should stop moving within a couple minutes even if he uses alot of solvent.

three thoughts:
1. it could be lacking grip tape under that part of the grip
2. they might have used masking tape instead of grip tape
3. it might be a used grip that was air compressed off a prior club and stretched it out or left tape on the inside of the grip

Either way, I'd bring it back and get it done again.

three thoughts:
1. it could be lacking grip tape under that part of the grip
2. they might have used masking tape instead of grip tape
3. it might be a used grip that was air compressed off a prior club and stretched it out or left tape on the inside of the grip

Either way, I'd bring it back and get it done again.

I bought the grip brand new, unless regripit.com is selling used grips then i think 3 is out of the question lol.
HoleOUT it is indeed like yours and they do not stock iomic grips, only Golf Pride that i know of, he told me yesterday to let it dry overnight and it should be good and solid, well its not, he never charges me to put on grips so there is no way im gonna ask him to replace it, i already ordered 2 NDMC Midsize incase this one needs replaced which it seems like it will, regripit.com said they would send me out a replacement if it didnt dry so im gonna contact them and see what they say. Thanks all

Back