Grip Pressure: How Do You Do It?

With a correct right hand, grip doesn't have to be tight. I'm not even sure I would rate mine a 4/10.
You lift all those heavy weights, and you don't even strangle your clubs.

Probably a 5-6 out of 10. I have a bad habit of really relaxing my right hand which causes me a ton of issues. The stronger i grip it the better the i hit it.

Moderate not too firm without it being a choke hold ….🤛🏻

As for comparison to others … lam a tradie using tools , so it may be more than most, also played cricket for 3 decades plus so holding cricket bat ….

ld imagine without independent calibrated assessment . We all , May be interpreting something different to each other …..
^^^This. An individual's grip pressure is probably the most intimate and non-visual part of the swing to understand which can also train wreck what would otherwise look like a decent swing.

I have the same pressure in both hands. Back swing very light grip but I know when I start the downswing the grip pressure gradually increases.

I try to maintain a pretty light grip at address and through my backswing. The body naturally takes care of things as i begin the downswing and firms up well before before and during contact as well as through the finish. I find that if my forearms are tight (from gripping the club too hard) the tightness just works it's way up the arms to the shoulders and no good can come of the swing that it produces... at least for me.

My grip has lighted considerably since I went to almost Jumbo grips. probably 75% or so.
Same deal, I went to midsized from standard and was able to use less pressure. Then I switched to a better suited midsized and it did wonders. I'm striking the ball better than ever.

Firm pressure in the last 3 fingers of my left hand and middle 2 of my right hand. Almost zero pressure (and sometimes even off the club the whole swing) for my right index finger and thumb.

I used to grip everything with a death grip basically but started being mindful of it and now maybe a 6 out of 10 and it has corrected some of my left misses with shorter irons.

Firm pressure in the last 3 fingers of my left hand and middle 2 of my right hand. Almost zero pressure (and sometimes even off the club the whole swing) for my right index finger and thumb.

Just where I'd like to be with my grip. I'm working on getting there...... again.

Frim but not squeezing.

Just where I'd like to be with my grip. I'm working on getting there...... again.
Fighting early extension and casting has been a lifelong struggle. I recently discovered (thanks Clay Ballard) that It's almost impossible to cast the club with your right thumb off the grip, and preventing casting (almost) magically removes the need to early extend. For the past few rounds, I've let my right thumb and forefinger just float free and my ball-striking has improved immensely.

Yeah, even though I have not had my first lesson, I feel I have a death grip on the club. I can't think of holding it any other way. Now, not that I will ever drive the ball 300 yards, but I feel that if I could drive the ball 300 yards, a 6 or 7 out of 10 grip just isn't gonna do that. I know I am wrong, and the instructor will fix that.

yeah- that quote about a holding on to bird or whatever. hold a club that lightly when you're trying to swing for the fences and you'll turn that driver into a helicopter. I doubt Rory could keep a bird alive in his hands if he gripped it as tight as he is during his swing.

You should hold it as tightly (I prefer 'firmly') as you need to hold it. Firmer for those 100+ SS to have both control and fluidity. Then it goes down as you move down the bag, until the lightest pressure is when putting.

You can't (well, you probably could) put a gauge on a club and have everyone grip it with the same firmness. Some people like to gently hold on, while others like to keep a death grip.

The trick is not tensing the wrists and forearms, but keeping the fingers gripping tight enough. Death Grip and tight forearms will lose distance, for sure.

I have a pretty light grip and at times it's too light and I've been known to lose control of the club at impact..

This sneaks up on me all the time, to the point where I’ve actually turned the club in the left hand with my right on the follow through. So f’ed when it happens. Part of the reasons I’m going back to standard grips. Mostly happens with the driver. Also why I refuse to practice with anything other than wedges until further notice. :mad:

I think more about having loose and malleable wrists than I do my grip strength on the club.

I grip like Nelson

I need soft hands but I tend to choke it out.

Ball flight. I watch the ball in the air.
I find I get much better ball flights with driver if it seems I'm gripping the club tightly.
The grip is much looser with irons and wedges. In fact, I don't think about it then.
But, I can't use that light grip with driver.

I generally grip on the lighter side and feel that works well for me, making the hands more neutral. When I started I used a death grip and ended up with blisters and calluses. I also went through gloves super fast.

The longer the shot the lighter the pressure
The shorter the shot the more secure my grip is particularly my thumb

Back