Grip Change - How Long Before It Sets In?

I haven't tried to make any grip change in awhile but I feel like when I did it takes quite some time or lots of practice before it doesn't feel weird.

A few dozen swings. I just did this. Went to an interlocking grip last week and was comfortable after my first bucket.

I went from interlock to overlap and it took just a few rounds and I didn't even notice the change

Do you do overlap then?

I was told when I first started to do the interlock so that's all I've ever known; almost everyone I see is the same - but then I either play with them regularly or I likely don't notice.

What made you want to attempt the swap a couple years back?
Yes overlap. Moved/learned that once I was old enough after having the young kid baseball grip.

Read or heard something about the hands working better together the more connected they are. It did loosen my grip a bit and in theory easier to be consistent with hand placement because the hands can’t rotate individually. But it was super uncomfortable and I didn’t see any reason to pursue it. My right pinky is also jacked up from a break years ago which probably doesn’t help.

I can adjust strong/weak pretty easily. However, as a 10finger grip guy, I’ve never been able to adjust to an interlock or overlap. It just feels awful

It took my a good 2 months to get used to a grip change years ago. I started with a baseball grip and switched to an overlap after a few lessons a long time ago. It felt wrong until it didn't.

I've never stuck with a grip change long enough to find out. I'd really love to have my grip stronger than it's always been but the two times I've tried it, after a month or two of duffed shots I just go back to the status quo ante.

I remember as a beginner it took me literally more than a year to finally start keeping the butt of the grip from sliding down into my palm. Every lesson, same thing. Then a couple more years to quit "regripping" at the top of my swing a dozen times a round.

The one thing I have going for me now as compared to the first 10-15 years I played golf is I no longer have a "death grip" on the club, producing tension up my arms and all the way to my shoulders. It took many, many, many years to learn to R-E-L-A-X and just swing. I'd be a afraid a grip change would send me back to my old habits of tensing up.

So honestly, if I tried to meaningfully change my grip now three decades on, it might take a year or more to get comfortable with it. I'm putting it in my "old dog, new trick" category of things it's too late to change now.

Found this interesting

Luckily, I've never been faced with this particular challenge. And it's a good thing, too, because I've found, through my swing training saga, that changes take forever-in-a-day to become ingrained for me.

The PGA instructor from whom I first took instruction taught us a method by which to establish a grip. Later, in training with TMG, they used a somewhat different process. My grip ended-up the same, either way.

I occasionally check myself--making sure that, when at address, and at the bottom of the downswing, the club face ends-up perpendicular to my desired line. I even alter it slightly (more strong/weak) to see if those end up wrongly as they should. (I do these by establishing my grip and addressing the ball with my eyes closed, then see what the club face looks like.)

Coincidentally: I just did that during my first swing training session this morning.

I've played the interlock almost the entire time I've played. I've toyed with overlap a few times but it's never lasted more than a month. It never was remotely close to comfortable and I felt like I needed a death grip on the club to hold onto it. I tried baseball for about 20 swings. More hook city than I was already seeing.

After using an overlapping grip for probably 60 years, 2 years ago I switched to the 10-finger baseball grip and took to it right away. I can easily go strong or weak with that grip, but I cannot adjust to the feeling of the overlapping grip when I try to go back to it, much less try an interlocking grip.

With the limited guidance I have been given by my instructor, I think I have caught on with it. Did I start hitting balls too early with it? Probably.

Really though, I just want to progress, see the path, and know what I am working towards in everything.
Fix the grip
Fix the setup
Fix the takeaway
Fix the downswing
Fix impact......

I just want to hit golf balls lol

With the limited guidance I have been given by my instructor, I think I have caught on with it. Did I start hitting balls too early with it? Probably.

Really though, I just want to progress, see the path, and know what I am working towards in everything.
Fix the grip
Fix the setup
Fix the takeaway
Fix the downswing
Fix impact......

I just want to hit golf balls lol
Happy Nicolas Cage GIF

It took me a good 6 months before I got used to interlock from overlapping. It felt really weird at first now I don't know how overlapping even worked for me.

Might be some people changing grips soon with grips galore poping up in the mystery bags.

As others have questioned ?

Are we talking the physical grip on the shaft ?

Or

The actual grip technique we take of the club ?

In first case , don’t change grips until they look like they are are not of sufficient condition to give me best results … Timing depends, on frequency of usage and conditions they used in etc

As for change grip , no need it’s standard grip …. Like many things in golf , chasing the variables , invariably leads to varied results .

A couple of swings. After 45 years of golf there is nothing realistic I haven't used for a while at least once. When I went from interlock to overlap the first swing was fantastic. When my right hand arthritis is bad I will still go back to the interlock, but I have to be careful because it can create Linda Lovelace results.

Took me months until I was comfortable last time I had to change mine

Less than a week when I changed from Hogan's (five lesson's grip) to a three knuckle, finger grip. The transition period was accelerated by having a set of Wilson blades (circa 1965) fitted with reminder grips Pat. No 1974875. I can understand why reminder grips were made non-conforming.
Although a reminder rib on the grip is conforming.

Recently did this myself…didn’t really take all that long. The placement of the two hands has been easily repeatable; the correct, consistent pressure has been the bigger challenge. Mostly just a matter of getting in the reps, with a few stumbles along the way.

I dunno... in the middle of one and half the time can't remember to do it. When I do remember, it's not yet consistent. Blah.

Every time I try to change my grip it just doesn't seem to stick. Even if I am getting better results I find myself always slipping back into my old grip which I know is not the best and is causing some problems. If I really focus I remember to do the normal grip but if I don't think about it it I always revert to my comfortable standard grip.

Funny this topic showed up.
now.

I've used a my own variation of the Vardon grip since I started playing. About 5 decades.

With arthritis beginning to set in, I get sore fingers sometimes after a round. Not really a big deal as yet, but the issue is coming.

Yesterday I started using the 10 finger (basebal) grip for a few shots while practicing. I have read, and been told this grip can help with arthritic hands. Just trying to stay a head of the aging process.

A side from feeling new, I believe I could make this grip work after 2-3 weeks of everyday practice/play.. There's some fine tuning I would need to get use to. Right now I'm mashing my pinkie fingers.

I read in another topic about playing irons only. Might do that today, using only the 10 finger grip.

As others have questioned ?

Are we talking the physical grip on the shaft ?

Or

The actual grip technique we take of the club ?

In first case , don’t change grips until they look like they are are not of sufficient condition to give me best results … Timing depends, on frequency of usage and conditions they used in etc

As for change grip , no need it’s standard grip …. Like many things in golf , chasing the variables , invariably leads to varied results .
Talking grip technique.

Less than a week when I changed from Hogan's (five lesson's grip) to a three knuckle, finger grip. The transition period was accelerated by having a set of Wilson blades (circa 1965) fitted with reminder grips Pat. No 1974875. I can understand why reminder grips were made non-conforming.
Although a reminder rib on the grip is conforming.
Thats where I am right now, only going from a severely weak grip to a a more neutral Hogan's Five Lessons grip.

It doesn't feel completely weird, just awkward grip wise. The concern is more how my swing is completely wonky since the change.

Getting there though!

Back