Graphite Shaft Experiment

Jeanthemachine

Earl of Limerick
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.7
After exchanging a few posts on the KBS Tour 90 thread I have decided to experiment with changing to Graphite.

I currently play Hogan Apex Edge Pro irons with the #3 (regular) shaft. As I "mature" my distance has deteriorated and I do not hit the ball very high. I have always been somewhat of a low ball hitter but it is affecting my game now

Today I went to the Sarasota Golfsmith store to check out the possibilities. Unfortunately the Hogan irons take a .355 taper shaft and the in-store selection was limited. The local technician, Steve, was most helpful and took me to one of the test bays. After hitting a couple of balls he agreed that graphite would probably help. He also observed that I was hitting the ball slightly on the heel and that I was catching the club on the met with the heel also. He believes
that a lie adjustment could help both issues.

I wondered if even going to a senior shaft might be indicated but Steve thought that my ball flight, a nice soft draw, could turn into a serious hook if I went that route.

I ordered one shaft which I will have installed in my 6 iron as an experiment to see if it improves my ball flight. I expect it will be a week or so before I get to hit any balls with the new shaft (and right now I don't even remember what we selected) and I will report on the results.

I want to thank THP, especially JB, for encouraging me to get off my butt and do something about my equipment. I'll get back to you later.

Sounds like you had a pretty good experience overall. Be sure to keep us updated.

Pity the fool who Tapalks

Interested to read about your experiment.

Good luck, Jean. I think you're doing something that could end up really enhancing your game.

Good luck Jean, I know that since going to the ProLaunch Blue in regular flex I am hitting the ball better and even a little longer. I will be following your thread with interest.

Great experiment! Put all the THP mouths to the test! Definitely a winner concept to try!

Sorry it has been so long since the last post. It took several days for the shaft to come to the store.

I will actually get to play with the new shaft tomorrow but I wanted to relate my latest experience with the Golfsmith store in Sarasota, FL.

I called yesterday (Thursday) to check on the shaft. I first learned that the technician I had worked with was out sick but my issue was picked up by Don who is the warehouse manager. He located my shaft and said it could be installed anytime but it was a little late to get it done Thursday. He said if I could get the club to the shop in the early morning I could pick it up later in the day. I explained that I lived about 45 minutes from the shop and that that would be awkward.

He asked where I lived and said that he was coming this way to visit his parents and that he could meet me, pick up the club and do the reshaft in the morning so I could pick it up at noon. We met and made the handoff which saved me about a half hour of the drive up (it took 15 minutes to meet him) and another 45 minute drive home.

At 1:00 today (Friday) I arrived at the store and found that the club was, indeed, re-shafted as agreed. I made a couple of passes on the lie board and confirmed that no adjustment was indicated.

I asked what the delivery might be if and when I order the remaining shafts to complete the set if I am happy with the results. he clerk checked inventory and found that they (Graphalloy Attack Lite, taper tip)are a standard item but would have to be requested from the warehouse. During this search we discovered that the shafts had gone on sale between the time I left my house and my arrival at the store. At checkout I was given a Golfsmith gift card for the 25% discount now offered on the shafts.

These people have done more than I could have ever expected in terms of customer service. If I am happy with the results I will be ordering more shafts from them.

That's a pretty good experience, Jean. Glad to hear it.

Were you fit specifically for that shaft or did you just pick one?

Awesome experience! You will have to let us know how you hit the 6 iron. I hope that it works out well for you

Not specifically "fit" but I explained what I wanted to accomplish, what I wanted to spend and made a couple of passes in the fitting booth.

The "Attack Lite" was very reasonably priced, I know the Graphalloy name and the technician thought the light weight should give me a little swing speed increase (weight reduced from about 120 gr to 70 gr; I don't have the exact numbers at hand) and the low kick point should give me a higher ball flight

That's great work by 'Don' the warehouse manager! That is truely above and beyond normal service to pick up the head!!!! Looking forward to your review of the shaft.

Glad to hear you had an awesome experience.
Just a note, let the branch/store manager know how the warehouse manager went out of his way to help you. Guys that do that very rarely get recognized & it may help the service level of the whole store. Just a thought.

Keep us updated.

I have a set of Wilson's with graphite shafts in them and love it.

-Lighter bag when carrying
-Smoother swing because it feels easier to control the downswing
-Less vibration compared to steel shafts.

Glad to hear you had an awesome experience.
Just a note, let the branch/store manager know how the warehouse manager went out of his way to help you. Guys that do that very rarely get recognized & it may help the service level of the whole store. Just a thought.

I also contacted "corporate" and let them know how great I thought the service has been.

I also contacted "corporate" and let them know how great I thought the service has been.

Thats awesome Jean, usually we're so quick to point out the bad.. I bet it makes their day to hear the good.

Really looking forward to following the thread and your progress with those specific shafts.

I played 18 holes today and used the 6 iron with the new graphite shaft every time I could reasonably use it. If the shot called for a 7 I would use 6; if it called for 4 or 5 I would use 6; if my preferred lay-up would be to 75 yards with a 3 wood, I would lay up to 125 with the 6.

I think I hit the 6 iron 10 times today when I would normally hit 5.

Score-wise the results were not pretty. This had little to do with the club selection or the performance of the club; I just stunk it up with every club today.

My experience with the new shaft was not dramatic but I do believe I hit the ball slightly (3-5 yds) longer and I think the trajectory was somewhat higher. I think the trajectory was more like the 7 or maybe 1/2 way to 8.

I was tired (and hot) after the round so a swim was in order. My plan is to go to the range tomorrow with 5, 6, 7 and 8 irons and see what kind of ball flight I can achieve. The jury is still out.

Okay, so I went to a local public driving range today to compare ball flight among my 5 and 7 irons with the original steel shafts and the 6 iron with the new Graphalloy Attack Light graphite shaft.

Our club's range is closed for renovations so I had to go elsewhere. The balls at our range are not replaced very often but hitting the huge variety of brands and condition balls was "interesting". It is amazing how a ball with NO DIMPLES just falls out of the sky. A reasonably well struck 7 iron would not go 100 yds.

So, results. The 6 iron with the graphite shaft had a trajectory like the 7 with steel and, because of the additional height, carried about the same as the 5 iron. The 5 iron would have more total distance because of roll out.

Perhaps more dramatic than the improved ball flight was the feeling of contact (felt more solid) and the consistency of contact. Perhaps it is the lighter weight but in any case I thought I made better contact more often with the graphite shaft.

Before you all run out to re-shaft with graphite (LOL) I have to confess that I have been retired for several years and my driver swing speed does not exceed 115 mph (or 105; or 95) so these shafts are not for everyone.

However I am going to call the Golfsmith store tomorrow and order shafts for my 7, 8, 9 and PW. I use 3, 4and 5 TM hybrids and have DG Spinner shafts in my AW, SW and LW and am happy with them.

I will post again with updates to the install process and will let you all know about the results with the other clubs.

Excellent! I look forward to your thoughts with a full set. I, too, am thinking seriously about changing my shafts. I think I might try a Grafalloy Prolaunch Irons shaft in a 6 iron also.

Again, I really look forward to your thoughts when you get the rest of your set done.

Just a brief update on the re-shafting process.

I called Golfsmith on Sunday to order the 4 additional shafts I wanted to install. It was suggested that the most effective way to do this would be to go on line and order the shafts and grips for in-store pickup. I did this with no problem and was assured that I would receive an email when the components were available in the store.

About an hour later I received a confirmation email. Holy cow; the system said the shafts were already in the store. Since it was early evening I could do nothing more at that time.

On Monday I called the store and spoke to Don who had helped me so much with the first shaft. Since it is about 45 minutes from my house to the shop I did not want to make the trip unnecessarily. Don said he would check and would call back. About a half hour later I got the call back again confirming that, indeed, all the components were in the store.

On Tuesday afternoon I made the trip to the store. The shafts and grips were at the desk when I went in. I found one of the techs and asked if the new shafts could be installed by the following day, Wednesday, today. He said it is usually 72 hours before re-shafted clubs could be promised for pickup. Well, that would have been OK; the only reason for my impatience was that I was driving friends to the Sarasota Airport on Wednesday afternoon and that would save me a trip.

As I was getting ready to leave I met Don again, as he came back from lunch. He said that tomorrow, Wednesday, was his early day and he would make an effort to get the work done for me and said he would call if he thought they wouldn't be done before early afternoon.

I got to the store about 3:30 this afternoon and, lo and behold, the clubs were ready. One of the fitters took me to a hitting bay and a couple of swings confirmed that the lie on each club was correct for me.

I do not know what the cost of typical shaft replacement is but I paid $19 per club.

I will report on the clubs' performance after the weekend but I could not be more pleased with the service I received from everyone at the Sarasota Golfsmith store.

continue to keep us posted. It's been interesting read so far.

Nice to hear you have a store that is willing to go give you prompt service.

Sounds like you're having a great experience all the way around.
Congrats on the new shafts & more superb customer service.

That's a great thing that Don at Golfsmith is doing for you. That makes me want to work with my local Golfsmith store with shaft swaps.

I'm looking forward to your review on the other clubs with the new graphite shafts!

Today was the first day I got to play with my set of irons with the Graphalloy Attack Lite regular flex shafts. I had an OK day of ball striking with two birdies but two double bogeys and a score of 79.

On the first hole I had to hit a low 6 iron to keep under a branch. The contact felt solid, just came up a little short. Felt solid.

On the third I hit the 6 again from the tee on a 140 yd par 3. The ball was straight as a string, falling to the right on the wind and ten feet past and right of the hole. Another solid shot.

On 5 another 6 from the tee to a hole about 145 from the tee and into a breeze. I hit the ball super solid and had a nice boring trajectory and ended up a foot from the hole.

On 8 I had 105 yds to a back pin and hit wedge to about 10 feet short. Not wuite solid but an acceptible result.

On 9 I had 110 to a front pin so I hit 9 and flew the ball right over the flag. Another solid shot.

Too bad I missed so many putts.

On ten I miss hit a wedge and slulled it to the back of the green.

On 11 I had 150 to a back pin and hit 6 iron to the front half. Not bad, not great.

12 is a par 3 of 140; a solid 6 iron to the right fringe resulted in a par.

Other holes required a variety of sand/lob wedges or running chips for approach shots so don't require comment here.

Overall I am pleased with the change from steel to graphite. I can feel the difference in weight; I like the feel of the solid contact which seemed to be more frequent today. I don't think I picked up much if any yardage but I did gain a little height on my shots and I am very happy with the feel at contact and the lighter weight.

Certainly not the panacea I dreamed of but so far I am happy with the investment of $200 for shafts, grips and labor.

I'll be back with another report when I get in another round, maybe Wednesday.

Last edited:
Back