Graphite iron shaft help please

Jackio

Reaction score
Hi
I've just joined here after reading a lot. Thanks for the welcome. I'm in the UK.

I need graphite iron shafts after a wrist fracture and metal-work (anyone know Delirium Dive in Sunshine?), and now bilateral golfer's elbow. I'm fit, pretty strong, play to 5.7.

At 190 yds out I reach for my 7 iron though trying not to, my inconsistency comes from trying to reach 190 with a 7i :rolleyes:.

I had Apex MBs with Nippon 130x in. Now I have T100S with PX 6.0 which I love. But my body doesn't. I'll keep the T100S. TSR 2 9.0 with PX Gen 4 60 6.5.

I have had my 7i reshafted with MMT 105S. Like it, dont love it and my confidence is low with it. I like the feel, just not the inconsistency. Practicing on mats (its rained so much here and the grass range is still shut) I'll hit 7i for elbows, feel like I'm struggling to hit it straight (better if I slow down and, in effect, change my swing). Hit a few with my 6i (PX 6) and straight as a die. Tried a test 243 with iirc Dart 90 or 95 F4 in. Lovely club head, bad shaft for me.

So. I have phoned everywhere to try heavier graphite shafts. I don't want to go 125 as I'm ageing 'well' and noticing fatigue around 15 holes. No-one has above 100g to test, though I can get them installed.

Hmmm, I guess I should ask a question now. Help? To give a little info, I'm thinking I'll go for the 105 tx. But there seems to be a lot of you in the Dart V. I do have a faster transition especially on the course.

Thanks in advance

@Jman can probably provide some insight I know he’s a big Dart guy

Oh, I've also hit some steel fibres and didn't like the feel at all. I'd be reluctant to send my clubs off to have SF fitted given that experience.

Welcome to THP!

I don’t have the swing you do so my recommendation probably wouldn’t be very accurate. But you could hard step to get stiffer shafts at lower weights if you’re not finding/wanting heavier options

Have you checked the Aerotech SteelFibers? Given what you said, they might be ideal for you.

Have you checked the Aerotech SteelFibers? Given what you said, they might be ideal for you.
Oh, I've also hit some steel fibres and didn't like the feel at all. I'd be reluctant to send my clubs off to have SF fitted given that experience.

Dart V 105 in X may seem like a good trial for you if you wanted to keep it around 100g

Thanks for both suggestions @Muchmore and @Sean . I didn't explain it very well in my post. I think I swing best around 120g. A bit lighter is ok. But 90-95-105 seems to throw me off. But i'm not certain so not dismissing the idea of lighter. Though I probably am. I think I'm one of those for whom lighter leads to bad swings. And less distance.

I have swung the steel fibres in, iirc, around 95g and didn't get on with them. To me they felt stiff, unforgiving and even good strikes felt harsh. Obviously me as I know they are very popular on the LPGA

Dart V 105 in X may seem like a good trial for you if you wanted to keep it around 100g
I think they do a slightly heavier shaft too. 120 or something. From your experience are they 'linear'? Not sure what that means to others but I do seem to get on best with PX and my driver is PX Gen 4 black

Thanks for both suggestions @Muchmore and @Sean . I didn't explain it very well in my post. I think I swing best around 120g. A bit lighter is ok. But 90-95-105 seems to throw me off. But i'm not certain so not dismissing the idea of lighter. Though I probably am. I think I'm one of those for whom lighter leads to bad swings. And less distance.

I have swung the steel fibres in, iirc, around 95g and didn't get on with them. To me they felt stiff, unforgiving and even good strikes felt harsh. Obviously me as I know they are very popular on the LPGA
If you want to keep it around 120g then Dart V has that option too

Now that you have an elbow injuries, shouldn't you be focusing on managing that, instead of the distance you used to reach with your 7i?

I would suggest instead of hitting off a mat indoors, hit the7 iron off a tee for practice instead of a mat. Minimize the trauma to your body.
And stop immediately if something starts to hurt. Don't press on for that one good swing.
You may just need time to adjust to the new reality of a changed physical condition.
It may take a while for your mind to accept what the body is saying.

Yeah steelfibers aren’t great for feel in my opinion. I would go with a higher weight then in the MMTs or DartVs and I bet you like what you feel.

A friend of mine plays on the LPGA Tour (Megan Khang), and she plays the SF's. Good luck with your search!

I absolutely hated the steelfiber 95s which is why I was shocked to be fit into the 110s. The feeling is night and day different

I absolutely hated the steelfiber 95s which is why I was shocked to be fit into the 110s. The feeling is night and day different
Oh ok, that's interesting. I've shied (spelling?) away from any SF thread...I'll have a search. Did you compare to MMTs by any chance? Thats my only reference, apart from PX 6 and Nipon 130

Oh ok, that's interesting. I've shied (spelling?) away from any SF thread...I'll have a search. Did you compare to MMTs by any chance? Thats my only reference, apart from PX 6 and Nipon 130
I do not as it was not an option at Edel. I even told the fitter going in how I did not want to even look at the SF because of how much I didn’t like the 95s.

Fitting results were the best with the 110s and I’ve loved them the year they have been in the bag. Prior I had played in the 115-125 range in a S flex.

Now that you have an elbow injuries, shouldn't you be focusing on managing that, instead of the distance you used to reach with your 7i?

I would suggest instead of hitting off a mat indoors, hit the7 iron off a tee for practice instead of a mat. Minimize the trauma to your body.
And stop immediately if something starts to hurt. Don't press on for that one good swing.
You may just need time to adjust to the new reality of a changed physical condition.
It may take a while for your mind to accept what the body is saying.
This is genius. I'd never thought of hitting irons off a tee on a mat. I'll try it tomorrow. I tend to not use a tee with irons off the tee but I'm thinking of doing it this season

Back