GolfTEC... Wow, The Cost

collegefbfan

Reaction score
So, just checking around for a closer golf lessons place. Some of you won't believe how far I have driven and still driving for golf lessons. Well, GolfTEC is about 40 minutes closer if that gives an idea. I like it being inside, I like all the ways they monitor the different parts of the swing and what you are doing right and wrong. So, I called, and the guy said they do "credits" and because I live a decent distance away, they would have me do two credits at a time which equals an hour. Six months worth of lessons at once a month equals $950. That seems very steep. I mean STEEP. I have heard from some instructors say that clients come to them from GolfTEC. The instructor asks if GolfTEC teaches a "robotic" swing. Now, I am not here to judge or put GolfTEC down. Anyone have great luck with GolfTEC? Price about the same as what I described?

Now, I am not here to judge or put GolfTEC down.
Seems like that is exactly what you are here to do.
I've never been to a Golftec but if I am comprehending your post the company quoted you six lessons for $950, which equals $159 per lesson. My questions for you is how long is each lesson?Does the $950 include any other benefits such as range time or simulator time or club fitting?

@mtbloco is in the midst of some GolfTec lessons. I'm no golf instructor but early in, as someone who has seen his swing a thousand times, it absolutely looks different. When he gets everything synced, he's hitting some really solid golf shots. He also works at it. He's not showing up and expecting that the lessons, themselves, are going to fix everything. He's working the drills. 🤷‍♂️

Seems like that is exactly what you are here to do.
I've never been to a Golftec but if I am comprehending your post the company quoted you six lessons for $950, which equals $159 per lesson. My questions for you is how long is each lesson?Does the $950 include any other benefits such as range time or simulator time or club fitting?
Nope, not at all. I would be willing to pay the lessons cost, but some reviews have been good, some not. From the videos I have seen, they compare a lot of the mechanics to the averages of a tour pro. In some ways, I get it. However, I am a 5 feet 8 inch, 220 pound, 50 year old guy. Not many tour players fit that mold. They want to compare my flexibility of a 50 year old guy that has just taken up golf to, say Rory, Xander, Scottie, etc. According to the associate I spoke with, you have to have a swing evaluation that is $150 not included in the lesson. The lessons include the two cameras that film all you do in that lesson, and the lessons are done on a golf simulator. None of the cost includes club fitting, course time, or "free" range time.

$150 an hour is a pretty average rate for quality golf lessons. There may be an occasional instructor you can find for cheaper, but there won't be many.

Nope, not at all. I would be willing to pay the lessons cost, but some reviews have been good, some not. From the videos I have seen, they compare a lot of the mechanics to the averages of a tour pro. In some ways, I get it. However, I am a 5 feet 8 inch, 220 pound, 50 year old guy. Not many tour players fit that mold. They want to compare my flexibility of a 50 year old guy that has just taken up golf to, say Rory, Xander, Scottie, etc. According to the associate I spoke with, you have to have a swing evaluation that is $150 not included in the lesson. The lessons include the two cameras that film all you do in that lesson, and the lessons are done on a golf simulator. None of the cost includes club fitting, course time, or "free" range time.
The cost is significant, no doubt. Just depends, I guess, on the experience you want and how deep you want to dive. A lot of people are really into the tech side of golf instruction and want to know/see the effect of their flaw and the fix with technological confirmation with cameras and launch monitor info. Others prefer the old school approach of getting out there on the range with an instructor and seeing the "fix in the flight", per se. Personally, I think the correct approach is more student based than teacher based. I'm not sure which side of the fence I would lean toward, personally. One way or the other, change in the golf swing is hard and most default to their old swing when they decide that they don't want to put the work in. That's the tough thing about golf. Actually putting the work in. If I could pay $950.00 and have my swing fixed, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But the investment of my time is a tougher one to follow through. Not that I wouldn't love to, just that I only have so many hours in a week and two hours of practice is two hours of not playing. We all know the drill.

The cost is significant, no doubt. Just depends, I guess, on the experience you want and how deep you want to dive. A lot of people are really into the tech side of golf instruction and want to know/see the effect of their flaw and the fix with technological confirmation with cameras and launch monitor info. Others prefer the old school approach of getting out there on the range with an instructor and seeing the "fix in the flight", per se. Personally, I think the correct approach is more student based than teacher based. I'm not sure which side of the fence I would lean toward, personally. One way or the other, change in the golf swing is hard and most default to their old swing when they decide that they don't want to put the work in. That's the tough thing about golf. Actually putting the work in. If I could pay $950.00 and have my swing fixed, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But the investment of my time is a tougher one to follow through. Not that I wouldn't love to, just that I only have so many hours in a week and two hours of practice is two hours of not playing. We all know the drill.
Yeah, for sure. All of the lessons I have had have been around the $60 - $75 per hour range. They have all been helpful. Even had one guy use Trackman, and he emailed me all the data when I left. I do love the numbers and data side of it. Even some here said as a beginner, don't go chasing numbers. I get that also. The only thing is I live in a pretty small city. The number of golf instructors is pretty slim. That is why I have driven anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour and 40 minutes away for an hour lesson.

@mtbloco is in the midst of some GolfTec lessons. I'm no golf instructor but early in, as someone who has seen his swing a thousand times, it absolutely looks different. When he gets everything synced, he's hitting some really solid golf shots. He also works at it. He's not showing up and expecting that the lessons, themselves, are going to fix everything. He's working the drills. 🤷‍♂️
+1 on @mtbloco and the work he’s putting in, I saw him put some solid moves on the ball this weekend and get some great results. Golf is hard, swing changes are harder, but when the effort is applied with some great instruction, good things can happen. I don’t know how you’ll justify the cost of the lessons to yourself (or not), but sometimes when you pay a little more, you get a little more. Would you want the cheapest mechanic working on your Ferrari?

I have only been to Golftec for a fitting. I have been impressed with what I have seen for what you get with lessons. Yes, it is expensive. But you get other perks using their facility (indoor range and things like that).

I have an instructor that I like at an indoor place. But he is a one man show and there is no bells and whistles of using a bigger shop. If he wasn’t 5 minutes from the house, I would definitely look at Golftec that is 30 minutes away. He is definitely cheaper.

By no means am I saying that you always get what you pay for. I learned a lot from better golfers than me for free. I just don’t believe that Golftec is necessarily over priced.

I’m currently starting up GOLFTEC lessons. I’ve posted a few videos from them in the thread linked. It is totally instructor dependent but I don’t think they try to get you to copy professional golfers that a middle age amateurs can’t do. I’ve had two separate coaches and they’ve only brought up professional golfers a couple times in my lessons. It’s never been trying to get me to copy them. It’s usually to show me a single frame of reference at a certain point of the swing that the coach knows I can get to.

I would say get a swing eval and check it out. They’ll comp you the first one most likely. The teaching method works really well for me. The before and after work well for me.

I took GolfTEC lessons awhile back and it got me to a point where I had a repeatable swing. Some may call it robotic but I knew what was going on and ultimately what I did wrong on a particular swing. I would say it got me from an 18 to a 12. I don't know how things are structured now but what really made the lessons stick was going in and doing practice sessions on the video system. I had to book practice times but that was all pretty easy. If you are not willing to drive back for those sessions it is hard to ingrain what you are learning.

As far as price I got what I paid for I feel. It was not cheap but I did put in a lot of work and effort to make my money work for me.

Do the swing analysis and report back to give them a chance. It really helps you understand the value they’re providing and. Their tech is really helpful and tracks probably every relevant angle possible. They also offer on course teaching and you can convert credits into sim time and fitting as well.

Around here lessons from a qualified PGA pro who will recognize YOUR swing being yours due to your physical abilities are around 80 bucks an hour on a sim, 70 an hour outdoors. I saw lessons from point to point golf machine pros. Not impressed. No need to tear down and attempt to rebuild a swing on a machine that wont move like a robot. On the other hand, I know people who made huge improvement at Golftec. Weather it was more improvement that they would have made elsewhere I cant judge, but there was plenty of room for improvement when they started. Whatever gets you to your goal.

I'm sure it's like country club dues and costs vary hugely depending on where you live. But for where I live $150 is pretty much double the going rate and it sounds like they want you to pay in advance for $1,000 worth of lessons. If so, that's a totally no-go as far as I'm concerned.

It's a separate question whether you want your golf instruction to be done wire up to all their motion tech, I'm sure that's a very effective teaching style for some, it would not be for me. But whatever form the instruction takes, the whole thing is priced like Club Champion prices shafts, it's a way to spend a lot of money when spending less is perfectly practical.

Wait until you see how much time you have to put in for lessons to actually work lol. Golf is hard and golf is expensive.

I was lucky enough to have GolfTEC lessons last year as part of the SkyTrak Experience.

I can say, without a doubt, that it has transformed my game for the better and when I have the money to get another block of lessons, I will do it without hesitation.

No, they don't teach a robotic swing and generally work with what you have.

You can see my entire swing transformation here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/golftec-and-me.8955251/

I can fix him for cheaper. Bottle of bourbon and a little DGAF go a long ways. Lol

To the OP Golftec does tend to trend slightly higher in terms of what they offer versus a traditional green grass professional. I’ve compared prices and they are about 15-25 higher per hour but like you said you get the extra technical complements of being indoors versus outside with a pro.

So, just checking around for a closer golf lessons place. Some of you won't believe how far I have driven and still driving for golf lessons. Well, GolfTEC is about 40 minutes closer if that gives an idea. I like it being inside, I like all the ways they monitor the different parts of the swing and what you are doing right and wrong. So, I called, and the guy said they do "credits" and because I live a decent distance away, they would have me do two credits at a time which equals an hour. Six months worth of lessons at once a month equals $950. That seems very steep. I mean STEEP. I have heard from some instructors say that clients come to them from GolfTEC. The instructor asks if GolfTEC teaches a "robotic" swing. Now, I am not here to judge or put GolfTEC down. Anyone have great luck with GolfTEC? Price about the same as what I described?
I recently went to GolfTec for a swing evaluation. This came after months and months of self help via YouTube. Not saying that there isn’t good info via YouTube. However for me it was always a bandaid fix. Would last round or two or a week or two. The problem was I knew I was over the top but that was only part of it. I didn’t know the root cause.

Swing evaluation showed exactly what years of bad swing habits had produced. Swing evaluation turns into a lesson after the first ten minutes or so.

I did the evaluation when it was $95 which is waved if you book lessons. I then booked 10 credits which gets me 5 more one hour lessons. Those lessons cost $720. Add those 5 hours to the one hour swing evaluation that’s 6 hours for $720.
I did get in on the sale price when I booked which they run a couple times each year per my instructor. 25% off so it is worth watching out for should be available in the fall again.

Now let’s talk about value. Up until this point I spent hours every evening checking out YouTube video. Time that actually did virtually nothing for my swing actually made it worse. Everyone has different ideas of value. I decided to spend money on lessons vs online golf instruction rabbit hole. The cost now will pay dividends over time with improved play. I figure the lesson cost is part of my entertainment My entire lesson pack is less than the cost of a couple home football games. I get to enjoy golf year round.

Lesson time and cost are only a portion of the improvement equation. Range and practice time after and between lessons is every bit if not more important than lesson time.

I know everyone is different. If you don’t go with GolfTec I hope you find an instructor that works for you.

I can fix him for cheaper. Bottle of bourbon and a little DGAF go a long ways. Lol

To the OP Golftec does tend to trend slightly higher in terms of what they offer versus a traditional green grass professional. I’ve compared prices and they are about 15-25 higher per hour but like you said you get the extra technical complements of being indoors versus outside with a pro.
Now, this I can surely go with. Time and place?

I decided to buy the 15 credit lesson only pack when on sale. Golftec is very close to me. The 30 min lesson I think is perfect. It focuses us to work on one thing. One thing only. It comes out to $73/ credit for me.

And hour with a random range coach here is ~$150. With Golftec, I have piece of mind that they understand the fundamentals of the golf swing. There are absolutely positions one should get to, and measurable. It is absolutely not a swing by number instruction .

Unfortunately my original coach left the company for health reasons. So next week I’ll be transferring to a new one. Hopefully the transition will be smooth and we continue on the path laid out thus far.

That seems pretty reasonable rate for me. In my area that is about the starting rate for a new pro to charge outdoors.

Look at you all about ready to make me pull the trigger on a GolfTEC package. Wife is gonna kill me.

Look at you all about ready to make me pull the trigger on a GolfTEC package. Wife is gonna kill me.

I am currently going to GolfTec and think it has made a pretty solid difference in golf to begin this season. Definitely more in mid-season form early than other years. I picked up one of their New Year packages which gave me the Swing Eval, 10 lessons and 10 practice sessions to use for the year for broken down it came out to about $100 per hour, which is right in line with other teachers I have used in my area. The technology they have is great, and the fact that they are indoors and none of my lessons are affected by bad weather was a huge plus especially in Jan/Feb/March of this year. I know they generally run a decent amount of promotions through the year that can bring the costs down some if that is your only sticking point.

Back