Golftec or Club Champion

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all, no secret that I'm planning on doing a putter fitting. I have to travel a couple hours and there's a Golftec and a Club Champion pretty much in the same town. Both fitting cost the same, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both and leans one way or the other?

Had an okay experience with putters with CC, can drop you a PM if you want details. But my guess is to a degree it’s very much fitter dependent when comparing those two. Have you looked at reviews for those two particular locations?

Also, I wouldn’t be afraid to call them and ask to talk to the fitter you would book with. A quick conversation might let you know how well you get along with each

I don't want to say anything negative about my fitting at Club Champion - but I left less than satisfied. I have read a few reviews from others - for both same and different clubs and they had similar experiences. So, rather than trash one or the other - I think you can google and get both good and reviews - and form your own opinion, I'll just say, do as much homework as you can, advocate for yourself as much as you can, and if you are able or comfortable, you direct/dictate the fitting. You tell them what you want to hit, and why and if they suggest something else, you ask them why (as examples of what I mean).

I was fit into a club that was neither longer than my baseline (already owned club) nor more accurate, and the fitter, was sort of shocked when I declined to purchase this club (for more than $1k including fitting). As opposed to just keeping my then current driver. Then he asked if I wanted the grip or shaft only for my club - by then I was still annoyed by it all and declined (I might have been inclined to buy the shaft - but I NEVER had a chance to swing it in my baseline driver - why not, was it me or the fitter?).

Anyway, I think they (fitters) have it very hard, it's a VERY fine line between fitting you into the best and making a sale. I had a fitting at PGATSS - and they told be point blank expensive shafts would not help me (WTF?). I did buy the recommended club (it was better than my baseline), but I also have the 90 days to exchange it. I may do another fitting at PGATSS, in 3-4 weeks where I direct 100% the fitting, I know what I want to swing, I know what shafts I want to hit), and I won't care if it's a stock or upgrade shaft.

Good luck.

In my limited knowledge I’d say it’s certainly fitter dependent. I’ve read hot stories about both but also positive stories as well. I had a putter fitting at a CC a few years ago and it was great, never felt pressured to buy anything. Have a long game fitting scheduled for Monday with the same guy.

I meant to add, my neighbor swears by CC, he goes to the same one I went to, he does not often buy - but he's spent easily over $1500 there doing fittings, he does not mind it at all. When I shared my experience he was stunned - but he goes back 3 - 4 times a year. So, I guess it's about knowing what you want - and what you want to see addressed (sort of). Point here is both good and bad from same CC for 2 different people.

GolfTec is more about instruction, and they do some fitting.

Club Champion is fitting focused, and they have more options than anyone to try.

you direct/dictate the fitting. You tell them what you want to hit, and why and if they suggest something else, you ask them why (as examples of what I mean).
This. This is your fitting. While their expertise is to be trusted, if not are not comfortable or not doing something you want speak up. Its your experienc.

I have done both and it really will depend on your likes and the person doing the fitting.

Golftec didn’t have the same amount of shafts or options that Club Champion had. But, that could be a good thing if you are looking to use more of a stock option.

Club Champion have more concern to finding the right shaft, which can be costly. However, your numbers will be better.

I thought Club Champion was much more thorough as they are not trying to sell lessons after the fitting like Golftec.

After doing a driver fitting at Golftec and a full bag at Club Champion, I would go back to Club Champion and not Golftec.

CC newsletter sent out a promo for $100 of $499+, depending what putter you're looking at. Don't know if that would sway you. I enjoyed my CC experience. Don't know much about golftec, aside from the lessons they offer look interesting.

I think since I'm doing putter fitting that shaft selection is less important. Also focused on Callaway putters since I'm trading in toward the putter. Would make sense to call and make sure both have a good selection of Odyssey putters to try.

Of course I'm really hung up in the Seemore Mini Giant so best to completely avoid that lol

Due to some unforseen birthday shenanigans I will actually be going to second swing for a putter fitting here in a couple of hours. Club champion was the second place finisher, but on the regional forum more people suggested the second swing of that available for you just another possible option.

I haven’t stepped foot in a GolfTec since a bad experience there many years ago so of those two I’d choose CC. That being said read the threads here about putter fittings, much like other fittings they are very fitter dependent. If you are going in expecting what @Jman experienced with his most recent Edel fitting at one of these places you will be left with less money in your wallet and a really bad taste in your mouth.

I think since I'm doing putter fitting that shaft selection is less important. Also focused on Callaway putters since I'm trading in toward the putter. Would make sense to call and make sure both have a good selection of Odyssey putters to try.

Of course I'm really hung up in the Seemore Mini Giant so best to completely avoid that lol

Me, personally, for putter fitting it would be Club Champion all the way.

Their stock on head brands and setup was much better for putter fittings then Golftec.

In choosing a best fit putter I think you need as many option heads as possible. Golftec was very limited here by me.

I’ll add, I think some bad experiences come from the fact that it’s hard to fit some people. Consistency during the fitting is part of it all, and sometimes it isn’t as easy as we on the internet like to believe it is in our heads.

I’ll add, I think some bad experiences come from the fact that it’s hard to fit some people. Consistency during the fitting is part of it all, and sometimes it isn’t as easy as we on the internet like to believe it is in our heads.
I have no doubt my fitter would have his work cut out for him. Sadly I'm not one of those naturally blessed golfers with a consistent swing with anything, putter likely included. All things being equal I'm going to read reviews but am strongly leaning CC at this point.

I agree with this. I admit I went in expecting them to know everything, so I was 100% passive - huge mistake on my part. If/when I do another fitting - relegated to PGATSS due to the 90 day playability thing, I again (I posted this elsewhere), know exactly what clubs, and shafts I want to demo - and that will make a big difference for me - also knowing that any of the 4 will be acceptable - if they are better than then current club - is also a positive.

I agree with this. I admit I went in expecting them to know everything, so I was 100% passive - huge mistake on my part. If/when I do another fitting - relegated to PGATSS due to the 90 day playability thing, I again (I posted this elsewhere), know exactly what clubs, and shafts I want to demo - and that will make a big difference for me - also knowing that any of the 4 will be acceptable - if they are better than then current club - is also a positive.
This particular thread was about a putter fitting not a general fitting. But you are right speak up and ask questions

This particular thread was about a putter fitting not a general fitting. But you are right speak up and ask questions
You are right - apologies, I sort of assumed that the same general thoughts would apply. I admit I am sort of intrigued/interested in a putter fitting myself. If my assumptions are not correct, that's my mistake, I just want to ensure that anyone (again just my opinion) give some thought to the idea of not being totally passive - as far as shafts, heads, etc. That was my mistake.

It's going to be very dependent on your local reviews. I feel like with these bigger fitters you have to be a bit more knowledgeable on your own to make some potential decisions. I think I could get a good fit out of CC now but when I knew far less about the technology then I was at the mercy of the fitter.

Hi all, no secret that I'm planning on doing a putter fitting. I have to travel a couple hours and there's a Golftec and a Club Champion pretty much in the same town. Both fitting cost the same, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both and leans one way or the other?
Find an Edel fitter. I’m sure some are going to get tired of me saying that, but I don’t care, it’s beyond eye opening.

I’ve had fittings at both and was impressed by neither. I’d echo what many already said in that where you go probably won’t matter, it’s whether your fitter is any good and that can be a crapshoot. Not to be an edgelord or anything but the best fitting I’ve had by far was at PXG, and I’m sure that was just because the fitter was good at his job and actually cared. I haven’t had a putter fitting by them but will next week, and that’s mostly because I can get the same guy and know he’ll take the time to do a quality job and make sure I get what’s best for me. Of course you’re only getting to try PXG clubs, I just thought I’d throw that out there.

You are right - apologies, I sort of assumed that the same general thoughts would apply. I admit I am sort of intrigued/interested in a putter fitting myself. If my assumptions are not correct, that's my mistake, I just want to ensure that anyone (again just my opinion) give some thought to the idea of not being totally passive - as far as shafts, heads, etc. That was my mistake.
I don't disagree just pointing out that a putter fitting is not the same as a regular fitting. As I mentioned definitely ask questions and remember no question is a stupid question you are there to learn whats best for you.

Find an Edel fitter. I’m sure some are going to get tired of me saying that, but I don’t care, it’s beyond eye opening.
Is it same cost as regular CC putter fitting? The CC I'm targeting is listed as an Edel fitter on Edel's website. Is it a style of fitting or they fit you to an Edel putter? Unfortunately budgetary restrictions are definitely a factor for me. Biggest reason I'm keen on Odyssey is I have an Epic Max ls to trade in and was generously gifted a 50% bonus code.

There was a comment recommending you look at the local feedback, which I think is an incredible idea. There are great stores and there are less than great stores, and the easiest way to find out about it is to check their reviews.

That in mind, I have absolutely no idea what GolfTec has to offer. I went to my local shop as a +1 many years ago and they wanted to completely break down my swing and wouldn't stop showing me videos of how pros do it like i had to match it. That was enough for me to not look at them for anything again.

My perspective here in the Cincinnati area, is that Club Champion does a wonderful job, and has SAM Putt Lab to back up their work. Even if you don't find the model that suits your eye the best there, you have a ton of data to take away to learn from, and utilize in the future. I will say that I am not thrilled with the overall selection because for the most part, they are stocked with typical models, so my crazy (long neck blade with a sight dot or line) isn't really loaded with options probably anywhere, however, I should expect that.

If there is someone with a local shop I would see if they have good reviews too. I was dissatisfied with my experience at Club Champion. They are there to sell IMO.

Back