Golf shirts that fit the thinner guys!

juicegoose

Reaction score
Handicap
I understand that most companies cater to the idea that most American men need extra fabric around the mid section but man does it make it hard to find a good looking shirt for us guys that don't need the extra fabric.
I tend to like the under armour shirts for the simple fact that I can get them in regular fit and not the loose. Usually my selection is limited and so yesterday I tried on some small under armour shirts in the loose fit style. BINGO! no extra fabric to tuck into the back. Just a heads up for you guys as well.

As a disclaimer I am 5'9" 160 pounds with a fit/athletic build. One day i'll need the extra fabric but for now I FIGHT THE FAT!!!!

Last edited:
Sligo, Quagmire, and many of the other Euro brands. Nike has the new athletic fit too.

Travis Matthew may work. Fila is good too.

Hi, your friendly neighbourhood slim fit champion here. As JB says, look for the Euro style brands. Cross is pretty nice, Sligo is very very nice. I've got a couple of the newer Nike shirts and they're an improved fit for me too.

I find quite the opposite these days when shopping for shirts, as JB said, there are several companies that offers athletic cut shirts. I found a lot of the Addidas and Slazenger stuff I was looking at over the weekend was a more along the lines of athletic cut as well.

Sligo, Oakley, Travis Mathew, Nike Modern Fit, AUR, J.Lindenberg, RLX, Galvin Green

I like this thread. I am 5'10" 115. yea i'm skinny....

I'm 6'2" and 170lbs. I'm long in the torso and arms so this is a common problem for me. I have to buy a SMALL in Nike to get the right fit, even then it's loose and the sleeves are longer than I'd prefer.

I have a few Sligo shirts in Medium that fit pretty well, would prefer the sleeves to be a bit longer, but they're fine.

I'm interested in trying the Nike athletic fit - I'll see how those fit.

I find quite the opposite these days when shopping for shirts, as JB said, there are several companies that offers athletic cut shirts. I found a lot of the Addidas and Slazenger stuff I was looking at over the weekend was a more along the lines of athletic cut as well.

Cant remember the last Adidas golf shirt that actually fit correctly. The large's are now cut like XXL and a medium is in between a large and XL. I love the Adidas style but hate how big they are now. They look awful when tucked in.

Cant remember the last Adidas golf shirt that actually fit correctly. The large's are now cut like XXL and a medium is in between a large and XL. I love the Adidas style but hate how big they are now. They look awful when tucked in.

I wear small or medium in most companies, usually a small. Adidas small? Might as well wear a parachute.

I've found the under armor shirts to be far and away my best option.. I own one perfect fitting Sligo shirt, and two that are either too short, or too wide for my taste. Maybe I've just not had much luck between the seasons with them. Still absolutely love their style, their belts, and their shorts!!

Tapatalking from my iPhone

I have to wonder what the tour guys are wearing.. I haven't touched an Adidas shirt in quite some time because of why you're mentioning, yet these guys on tour have form fitting shirts from them that fit really well.. I'd make the same argument about Nike right now as well.

As of late adidas has not been impressing me with what they are putting out. Blah. I have a Large Adidas shirt that looks like a burlap bag on me. I prefer the more form fitting shirts. I like Nikes line and if I get an UnderArmor polo I just get it in one size smaller than my normal size.

I have to wonder what the tour guys are wearing.. I haven't touched an Adidas shirt in quite some time because of why you're mentioning, yet these guys on tour have form fitting shirts from them that fit really well.. I'd make the same argument about Nike right now as well.

I haven't tried the new Adidas FP line, but the only thing I can figure out is that most of the guys on tour are a crap load wider than me in the shoulders. As for Nike, it's hit or miss. Some of their smalls fit, then others are wide in the chest and arms. It's one brand that I can't trust to just buy blind.

I wear small or medium in most companies, usually a small. Adidas small? Might as well wear a parachute.

Thats how Adidas mediums are for me, freakin huge. Cant even think about a large. Nike was like that last year too but I think they might have changed this year.

I've found the under armor shirts to be far and away my best option.. I own one perfect fitting Sligo shirt, and two that are either too short, or too wide for my taste. Maybe I've just not had much luck between the seasons with them. Still absolutely love their style, their belts, and their shorts!!

I agree, UA seems to make the best fitting shirts. Problem is I have to actually try them on to be sure because they are definitely cut different then the others. Sligo... meh. If I buy a small Adidas the sleeves are too short or too small.

I buy extra large golf shirts, larges don't fit they aren't long enough and not enough room in the shoulders. I am not fat at my age but not a pencil neck either.

I went by Academy yesterday and walked out with this info after trying every brand they had on.
Adidas - both medium and small fit like junk and ran large
Nike - fit okay but still not ideal
UA regular fit - medium fit well
UA Loose fit - medium hung off me but the smalls fit better then anything else
PGA Tour gear - Certain styles in medium fit well

I walked out with two UA loose fit smalls and a PGA tour medium. Also with a loan because of the cost of them suckers MAN THEY COSTLY!!!!

Is ebay the best place to buy UA shirts on the cheap?
These Euro brands how do they hold up and are they pricy?

Best option for UA in my opinion are late season mark offs or UA outlets.. I'm not a big fan of buying UA on eBay.

I went by Academy yesterday and walked out with this info after trying every brand they had on.
Adidas - both medium and small fit like junk and ran large
Nike - fit okay but still not ideal
UA regular fit - medium fit well
UA Loose fit - medium hung off me but the smalls fit better then anything else
PGA Tour gear - Certain styles in medium fit well

I walked out with two UA loose fit smalls and a PGA tour medium. Also with a loan because of the cost of them suckers MAN THEY COSTLY!!!!

Is ebay the best place to buy UA shirts on the cheap?
These Euro brands how do they hold up and are they pricy?

Yes and yes. Most Euro brands like RLX, Galvin Green, etc are expensive.

Sligo is a Canadian brand. Their pricing in simular to UA for the most part, they do have some shirts that are a bit more expensive, but do have a lot of offerings in the $60 range.

Best option for UA in my opinion are late season mark offs or UA outlets.. I'm not a big fan of buying UA on eBay.

Almost all of my UA shirts I bought on sale. They're just too expensive otherwise.

With the adidas stuff, you have to make sure you know what type you are getting. Their Climalite and Climacool shirts usually have "relaxed" stickers where the size is listed, and they run large. I'm a medium in most companies, but I have to wear a small in adidas shirts like that. Their Formotion stuff is more form-fitting (I think the sticker on those is "tailored" or "fitted"), and I can wear a medium in those shirts. The Formotion stuff is harder to find, so most of the stuff in stores is going to run large because it's Climalite or Climacool.

My closet right now is basically Sligo, Nike, and adidas, with a couple of J. Lindeberg shirts too. I'm 6 feet tall, 180 lbs, so I'm not a big guy at all, basically wear a medium in all of those except for what I wrote above.

Well wow I just looked over at the fairway styles website and BAM. Some good loud shirts. Regarding Sligo how do they tend to run size wise? In compared to UA at least.

Well wow I just looked over at the fairway styles website and BAM. Some good loud shirts. Regarding Sligo how do they tend to run size wise? In compared to UA at least.

Email the owner of Fairway Styles, tell him that you're a member of THP. He'll get you sorted out, he's great to THP members. I haven't tried UA shirts so I can't help you there, but you'll get a lot of feedback on Sligo from others on here.

When I tried on Sligo, I tried on a small and it fit really well. a Bit more tailored in the arms and torso than UA, but wouldn't call them smaller.

Thanks guys I'll have to give fairway styles a shout.

Back