Golf: Science or Art?

Golf: Science or Art?

• Total voters

Horton

Reaction score
Handicap
First off, let me say that I believe golf is both a combination of science and art but for the sake of discussion I won't give you an option of "both". :D

With Bubba Watson winning this week and his unique approach to the game, it got me thinking, "Is playing golf more about science or artistry?"

Some players have a very mechanical approach while others seem to play based more on "feel" and "imagination". What is your take?

Art. There are so many ways to be successful, and there is no one formula.

I personally have always been a "feel" player, but have insituted many "technical" aspects into my game especially with my irons and wedges. The best players in the world have more give when it comes to calling it artistry. You have to learn how to pick up a paint brush and deliver even strokes before you can start painting masterpieces.

if golf were a science everyone would have the same swing and the same approach to the game. Golf is art. Just like painting a picture, each artist has access to the same brushes but its how they use them to paint the picture that makes all the difference

Can't say it any better than the people above. While I ingrain many technical aspects into my game and use a lot of technique for my swing thoughts.. I believe the way a shot is played and how the game is played is a deep down art.

All the old time greats seem to talk about "owning your swing" "having your own swing" and generally talk about the game as an art form. I tend to agree, you can have all the technical aspects and numbers to a tee, and that'll help a lot; but you just gotta feel it, if that makes any sense.

Good stuff so far guys. I tend to agree about golf being more about art than science, especially when you take into account all the other variables on a golf course like wind, elevation, etc... it's difficult to scientifically reason all of those variables when you're on the course, you just have to "feel" it.

So maybe it's safe to say that the better you are, the more artistry is involved? Since a new player is obviously only focused on the science of the golf swing, usually.

Definitely art. Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk, Tommy Two Gloves, all defy 'the science' of golf with their swings.

Definitely art. Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk, Tommy Two Gloves, all defy 'the science' of golf with their swings.

I'll add a couple of old school golfers to that in Arnold Palmer & Lee Trevino. Ugly swings, beautiful results.

I believe that technique is the basic starting point for all that comes after, if that is what you are calling science then so be it. All artists have to have a sound knowledge of the 'science' or techniques involved with their chosen art, this includes 'artists' on a golf course.

I think it's a science of some sort. Otherwise there'd be no need for fittings (shafts flex/length, grips, lofts, lie angles, etc). Otherwise everyone would have the same sort of equipment.

I think the equipment is science and the swing is art

It's funny how Golf swings and Baseball swings mimic eachother...You have someone like Ken Griffey Jr. with such a natural beautiful swing and then players like Cal Ripken, Jr., Gary Sheffield, and Craig Counsel that had goofy "experimental" swings that seemed to work for them.

I only say science, because once you've found YOUR swing or shot, you can only hope to repeat it as consistently as possible. Though it is definitely art in the creativity it takes to make the "great shots".

Ok you wont add both but how about Holy C$%p did I do that button. lol:laughing:

Any way you have good ? there. I would say science. It is a game of opposites.:zsimpsons:

I don't really see a good argument against science. Sure there are many different swing styles out there, but they all use angles, arcs, tempos, pivots, etc. to make them work.

I think it's a science of some sort. Otherwise there'd be no need for fittings (shafts flex/length, grips, lofts, lie angles, etc). Otherwise everyone would have the same sort of equipment.

I think the equipment is science and the swing is art

I think this describes it perfectly. Equipment is science but the swing is art. So IMO, its both.

I don't know how you separate them. You must have a fundamental understanding of the science to be able to apply the art, yet without the imagination to stretch the science beyond pure mechanics, you will never reach your true potential. I think that for most players the game starts out with learning the science. That is the canvas - the necessary foundation. As you progress, you develop the artistry which we call feel, along with creativity and imagination - you start to fill out your palette with the artistic colors which in time may become the tools with which you create a masterpiece.

To me they are inseparable. :confused2:

I tend to lean more toward the science side of the game. Only becasue these players all have the same imapct zone from hip to hip. Meaning they are in the slot from the right hip to the left hip for right handed golfer and vis versa for lefties. What happens at the top of the swing and finish making their swings unique. but were is counts, they are all the same. Now, some guys hold on for the fade and other release for the draw but all in the slot.

First off, let me say that I believe golf is both combination of science and art but for the sake of discussion I won't give you an option of "both". :D

With Bubba Watson winning this week and his unique approach to the game, it got me thinking, "Is playing golf more about science or artistry?"

Some players have a very mechanical approach while others seem to play based more on "feel" and "imagination". What is your take?

I think it is both for me. It is science in technology with the clubs & balls and art through individual style & technique. I play totally by feel and my swing is my own which is I guess is art.

Since I cannot choose both, I have to say it is absolutely science. Every aspect of the challenge of putting the ball in the hole is explained with scientific terms. Swing speed, arc, rotation, backspin, impact, inertia, and on and on....
How each individual goes about using those tools and descriptions of science is sometimes described as artful, but with me it is often ugly and unable to be duplicated.

Golf is an art. I am an artiste. And believe me my canvas is the entire course. lol

I've had the feeling that recently golf has been becoming more and more about science and less about feel. Since the development of all the technology that can be used to measure every aspect of the swing people have really stopped playing by feel. Now it seems that golf is about making everything easier. Adjustable club heads and shafts so you can turn that fade into a draw, or vice versa. Monitors that tell you clubhead speed and ball rotation. i voted art but the more i think about it the stronger i get the feeling that golf is really just becoming a science

Obviously, it is both. But if I had to choose one, I would choose science. Just because people have different swings or have homemade swings, doesn't mean that science somehow no longer applies. It is possible to break everyone's swing down into information which could be used to form explanations and, more importantly, predictable results.

Indeed, I would posit that every golfer engages in this science everytime they play a round or go to the range. If a player is playing well and hitting the shots he desires, then that player will attempt to reproduce the same swing to acheive such desired results. If the player is not playing well, the player will often engage in thoughts similar to the following: "If I make this change in my swing, I think it will correct X." The player will then observe the result and determine if the desired result was achieved, etc., etc., etc.

Seems pretty scientific to me.

Art. So much of golf is all about touch and feel and I think thats more important than a swing that has perfect mechanics.

Back