Golf Digest 2011 Hot List. What Do You Think?

Last year GD had a simple little graph that showed the launch and spin of a ball when hit by robot. I thought it was great and I still look at it from time to time on their site.

edit:
I believe it was a 3/4 wedge shot but I could be wrong

Last edited:
Just getting into the game, I'm obviously trying to spend the least, yet get the most value for my money. Last year in their ball review in the June 2010 issue, my eye was drawn to the $20 and under section. TopFlite Gamer V2 was Gold award, yet I do not see these balls played much. I decided to try them and hello "frugal golf spender of the year". Played multiple holes filled with power C's, forward tee distance drives, cart path festivals and a tree or two and the ball has 1-2 small scuffs. That's it. When I do hit the ball as intended (sloooooowly getting better), it seems to work great!

My point is this. While I enjoy reading these articles to get a since of what's available and what higher end tools can do in the right hands, one really needs to use them to make a valid decision. I've ridden motorcycles since I was a small child. While an albatross (pun intended) to some, my 2002 ZRX1200R is a overweight old man's bike that is an ugly green color. Yet, if any 23 year old wants to take their $10k 2011 ZX6 to the track and put down benj or two, I will gladly take their money (and buy a few Gamer V2's, some old/new Nickent hybrids and a TourEdge backdraft putter...)

point/counterpoints welcome

Roger,
I think you bring up a solid point as using a list such as this as a starting point, but I do disagree a little on how to choose. As you are getting better, things such as "the right" equipment should starting creeping into the translation. The perfect example is the golf ball. Playing the "best" ball is nothing more than marketing, but having a golf ball that fits a persons game is far more important. It can reduce sidespin if needed, or decrease compression levels if needed. There are so many variables that I believe even a beginner should be finding the right ball rather than whatever is on sale. It can make the difference in a round based on ball flights.

I thought the list was nothing but a joke, i will put my stock in THP to see what i should give it a go with. Of course in my current situation i will most likely get only W/S equipment. I know i wont be able to get this deal forever though and, in the future when i have to buy clubs from the stores THP will be were i do my research. It baffles me how GD gets away with this year after year but then again, i bought the mag too, LOL. I know you guys just reviewed W/S's DXI and thought it was pretty good yet there is no mention of it or the DXI woods or hybrids. I have not hit any of them but, i find it VERY hard to believe the DXI line and the new FG Tour wedges are not good enough to be in it. If they would call it what in my opinion it is "The Popularity List" i would not get so agitated but, there are so many of the readers that use it as their shopping list and i just do not think it is right or fair to the smaller companies that make great stuff. Just my .02 cents.

I will post some thoughts on the topic at hand but I just have to say wow. I have never seen someone with an almost exclusive WS bag. My golfing buddy back on LI has a very old and beat up set of WS blades that he plays and he hits them like a pro. Sorry for going off topic

Just getting into the game, I'm obviously trying to spend the least, yet get the most value for my money. Last year in their ball review in the June 2010 issue, my eye was drawn to the $20 and under section. TopFlite Gamer V2 was Gold award, yet I do not see these balls played much. I decided to try them and hello "frugal golf spender of the year". Played multiple holes filled with power C's, forward tee distance drives, cart path festivals and a tree or two and the ball has 1-2 small scuffs. That's it. When I do hit the ball as intended (sloooooowly getting better), it seems to work great!

My point is this. While I enjoy reading these articles to get a since of what's available and what higher end tools can do in the right hands, one really needs to use them to make a valid decision. I've ridden motorcycles since I was a small child. While an albatross (pun intended) to some, my 2002 ZRX1200R is a overweight old man's bike that is an ugly green color. Yet, if any 23 year old wants to take their $10k 2011 ZX6 to the track and put down benj or two, I will gladly take their money (and buy a few Gamer V2's, some old/new Nickent hybrids and a TourEdge backdraft putter...)

good post, but could you take my money while i'm on my GSXR1000? or heck, maybe even my 750? haha, just kidding. i love my sport bikes.

the hot list is something that i use to go to for all my "research", of course that has changed. i still enjoy it, just don't use it to make my decisions.

Roger you make a great point. You don't have to spend a ton to get something that fits your game. I used to look for mid priced balls($30-40) because I thought they were made for mid cappers(don't ask me why. I'm stupid). But after having tested the TM ball that ended up being a $20 ball I have seen the light. I am a convert to the Burner Tour but I have heard some great things about the Gamer V2. Last year I started using the E7 and it was my favorite ball last year. Got to test the yellow E6 and liked it alot but thought the E7 was better for me. If/when they make the E7 yellow I will probably spend the $5 more and use those over the TM's.

My thoughts on the Niblick are that I just wouldn't play it. Feels a little like cheating. I know I'm being stupid by saying that as I'm not playing wooden drivers or anything but just something about the niblick bothers me. I could really use it too as I stink at chipping. And I have also never seen any one with it in the bag but it is almost always sold out at my local GS.

My thoughts on the Hot List are that I really enjoy reading it but I would not base any purchases just off of it. I like to look at new clubs so when sitting on the throne I peruse the Hot List. The Demand category really really bothers me though. Who cares if a club is in demand as long as it performs? Cleveland got the short end of that no doubt as that took 2 clubs of theirs off the gold award.

good post, but could you take my money while i'm on my GSXR1000? or heck, maybe even my 750? haha, just kidding. i love my sport bikes.

the hot list is something that i use to go to for all my "research", of course that has changed. i still enjoy it, just don't use it to make my decisions.

I just got mine in the mail on friday and read through it yesterday. Its still a good read and I like seeing the hot list to see what they think but I put way less stock into it than I used to. They really seemed to like how the Mashie worked but man they were hating on the retro look. From the picks I have seen I think it looks great but what do I know.

I just got mine in the mail on friday and read through it yesterday. Its still a good read and I like seeing the hot list to see what they think but I put way less stock into it than I used to. They really seemed to like how the Mashie worked but man they were hating on the retro look. From the picks I have seen I think it looks great but what do I know.

Really, a true hot list should boil down to a single category called performance. Looks are in the eye of the beholder; consumers will all have their own opinions on looks and don't need to be told what looks good. Feel is really a component of performance and innovation is something that just enhances performance. Demand is OEM appeasment and nothing more.

Reactions: JB
Really, a true hot list should boil down to a single category called performance. Looks are in the eye of the beholder; consumers will all have their own opinions on looks and don't need to be told what looks good. Feel is really a component of performance and innovation is something that just enhances performance. Demand is OEM appeasment and nothing more.

+1, nothing else needs to be said.

I got my eye on some old Nickent 4DX CB's...wanna find out? KIDDING!

That's the frame of mind though that many don't grasp. "Sport" bike means nothing in the hands of an inexperienced n00b. I would have to yell "EIGHT!" instead of "FORE!" for going two fairways over with that new Taylormade R11... That's why my used $90 TM 2007 Burner works juuuuust fine for now.

I offer sage advice to those who don't have their life insurance paid up on ANY motorcycle. You best have it paid up if you're right wrist isn't trained in ways of the Jedi...(keep it clean fellas... :)

Love the comments so far!

Golf Digest New Hot List of Equipment

Golf Digest New Hot List of Equipment

Has anyone tried the new Taylor Made R11 driver? It's the editor's choice in the new 2011 Hot List. I've used Taylor Made drivers but lately have gone to Cleveland XLS HiBore where I get great roll after it's on the ground. I'm starting to think about my next driver as the weather in South Carolina allows me to get started early.

Has anyone tried the new Taylor Made R11 driver? It's the editor's choice in the new 2011 Hot List. I've used Taylor Made drivers but lately have gone to Cleveland XLS HiBore where I get great roll after it's on the ground. I'm starting to think about my next driver as the weather in South Carolina allows me to get started early.

Merged this one with a rather lengthy thread on the subject.

To answer your question, the R11 has not come out yet, but it is shortly. THP will have a sample to try out in a couple of days and will have some initial thoughts.

Supposedly the release date for the R11 and the SuperFast 2.0 is February 4th.

I just wish someone would call TM and get that R11 commercial of the air. Sorry, but the nursery rhyme type music I'd awful at best. (Coming from a TM fanboy).

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I try to not pay attention to hot lists, best of's, etc... when club shopping. I love demos and the used racks. I kinda like it when I bring something home and it is at the top though.

No question about it. It is a thankless job. But the point of almost 100% of the criticism is that the category in the rankings called demand has no place in there. You have a company that has the ability to declare a winner in each product based on performance (which is what they market it as "a club test) and yet they dont do that. Instead they can skew things any way they would like to by creating a category called demand.

I like the read quite a bit and like I said, they will always get criticized, but the medal system is a joke at this point. Over half the entries in some categories get gold medals and those that get silver are usually just as high in performance and only dropped based on demand. Then you have some companies that get repeat performers in the mix (see G15 and R9 last year) yet get heavy marks on innovation when they are not even a new product.

JB - First, let me say I couldn't agree more with your point that the job is a thankless one. I've experienced first hand, and no doubt you have to, people who embrace the anonymity of the interwebs to give them the strength to publicly, and often vitriolically, crap all over whatever it is you're trying to do (with absolutely no knowledge of how much effort goes into these sort of things). Thoroughly reviewing one golf club isn't nearly as easy it looks. Reviewing several dozen at once... I've got nothing but respect for the work Mike and the guys at GD put in. That said, questions about what role advertising plays in the results are, I think fair.

Regarding the demand category, I'm in the minority here, but I think it is valid (and I do think - probably - it's appropriately weighted). I doubt your experience differs much from mine insomuch as their are guys who want what they want regardless of how the club actually performs. The demand whatever brand X releases, and will never consider anything from brand Y. It's perhaps silly, but it's a real thing that happens every time I test, so I don't think you can discount it entirely. Perhaps it shouldn't count as a portion of the final score, maybe demand should somehow be used to counterweight to more meaningful categories, but regardless, it's tough to leave it out of the conversation.

My biggest gripe with the current hot list as that it provides no real comparative information. It's great as a "what's new in 2011" list, but beyond that, I don't find any real value. The current medal system is a joke. Either pick one winner, or don't pick any. Whether real or not, this everybody gets gold or silver methodology certainly gives the impression that GD is going out of their way not to rock the boat with their advertisers.

Gotta agree with the stupidness of giving out medals, but everybody getting one. They could easily just rate things and then have an editor's choice or a testers' favorite.

Just like today's school environment for kids....all winners and no losers. China is so going to own us in 10 yrs. Would definitely rather see the editors choice / tester's fave choice like Golf Mag does
Gotta agree with the stupidness of giving out medals, but everybody getting one. They could easily just rate things and then have an editor's choice or a testers' favorite.

Just like today's school environment for kids....all winners and no losers. China is so going to own us in 10 yrs. Would definitely rather see the editors choice / tester's fave choice like Golf Mag does

Yep. People need to lose so they want to win next time. Nothing better than breeding mediocrity.

JB - First, let me say I couldn't agree more with your point that the job is a thankless one. I've experienced first hand, and no doubt you have to, people who embrace the anonymity of the interwebs to give them the strength to publicly, and often vitriolically, crap all over whatever it is you're trying to do (with absolutely no knowledge of how much effort goes into these sort of things). Thoroughly reviewing one golf club isn't nearly as easy it looks. Reviewing several dozen at once... I've got nothing but respect for the work Mike and the guys at GD put in. That said, questions about what role advertising plays in the results are, I think fair.

Regarding the demand category, I'm in the minority here, but I think it is valid (and I do think - probably - it's appropriately weighted). I doubt your experience differs much from mine insomuch as their are guys who want what they want regardless of how the club actually performs. The demand whatever brand X releases, and will never consider anything from brand Y. It's perhaps silly, but it's a real thing that happens every time I test, so I don't think you can discount it entirely. Perhaps it shouldn't count as a portion of the final score, maybe demand should somehow be used to counterweight to more meaningful categories, but regardless, it's tough to leave it out of the conversation.

My biggest gripe with the current hot list as that it provides no real comparative information. It's great as a "what's new in 2011" list, but beyond that, I don't find any real value. The current medal system is a joke. Either pick one winner, or don't pick any. Whether real or not, this everybody gets gold or silver methodology certainly gives the impression that GD is going out of their way not to rock the boat with their advertisers.

good post, i agree with a lot of your points except for the highlighted sentence. i think that the hot list highlights some of what's new, but why are clubs like the g15 driver, and the ap1 and ap2 irons rated again? if titleist doesn't have an iron coming out then why include them, they were included last year.

i don't mind the hot list, i like to read it and read the tester's thoughts and whatnot but one thought that really stuck out to me was the "NOT" views on the taylormade burner 2.0 irons:

the offset screams, FORE LEFT! too loudly for some players

i think that's completely misinforming the public golfer. what a horrible misnomer and i honestly expect more out of golf digest.

I agree TC. When I read the "...offset screams fore left..." I thought that was a total misrepresentation. Frankly I find the offset rather "benign" for a game improvement iron. There are a lot of other irons out there that scream it louder and longer.

I agree TC. When I read the "...offset screams fore left..." I thought that was a total misrepresentation. Frankly I find the offset rather "benign" for a game improvement iron. There are a lot of other irons out there that scream it louder and longer.

exactly. in fact, if they would've done any research they may have wanted to mention that the set features a progressive offset and that it's fairly minimal in the scoring irons. i also didn't like the actual layout in the magazine at all this year. it's almost like they tried to cram 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag.

You know both of you are right. I didnt really notice that until now. One thing the Burners are not are hook machines. The Burners want to go straight and far if anything. Completely agree with fltc on this.

it's just a shame that something as influential as the Hot List can completely sway purchasing decisions by publishing something that's not even true. offset doesn't cause golf balls to hook.

exactly. in fact, if they would've done any research they may have wanted to mention that the set features a progressive offset and that it's fairly minimal in the scoring irons. i also didn't like the actual layout in the magazine at all this year. it's almost like they tried to cram 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag.
One of the reasons my pro and I settled on the 2.0's was because he didn't want me hitting a club with a lot of offset as I usually hit a draw. The Hot List may be fun to look at but it's a bit...lacking. Also, for example, if you read the description of the Burner 2.0 SuperFast driver you'd think it would have scored a lot better than it did. They also give the R11 the Editor's Choice award, but in the description mention that it's for the better player. A bit confusing that since the vast majority of golfers are not "better players".

And, what was that 10 pounds they were trying to cram in that five pound bag? lol

Back