Golf Ball Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherwoodnatl

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello, i have never been proffessionally fitted for a golf ball but would be interested in finding one that i like.
My SS is about 100 mph and i hit a driver about 260
In a golf ball my biggest wants are- feel off irons, a fair amount of spin around the greens (just check up, not spin back 5 ft) and a ball that wont kill my distances
Any reccomendations???

bridgestone tour b330

Thanks...Is that the black one (RX is red and i dont know the other 2?)
More suggestions please...

The Bridgestone e7 would also likely work for you - the B330 should have better spin off irons and a little more checkup though.

Also the Srixon Z-Star should perform well for you.

The Bridgestone e7 would also likely work for you - the B330 should have better spin off irons and a little more checkup though.

Also the Srixon Z-Star should perform well for you.

Ive played the Z Star X and liked it mostly because i like the 5 extra yards with a check one the green instead of losing the 5 yards and having 3-6 ft of spin. Spin just isnt that appealing to me.

All the balls in my sig work fantastic for me. Im open to any suggestions tho.
The E7 sounds very intriguing. Do you know what its advantages are?

Ive played the Z Star X and liked it mostly because i like the 5 extra yards with a check one the green instead of losing the 5 yards and having 3-6 ft of spin. Spin just isnt that appealing to me.

All the balls in my sig work fantastic for me. Im open to any suggestions tho.
The E7 sounds very intriguing. Do you know what its advantages are?

Biggest advantage over the others talked about is price - e-series seem to run around $27/doz new. It's a 3 piece ball, and the e7 has a softer cover than last year's e7+. It also has a lower, more penetrating flight trajectory.

JB did a great review on the new one, here's a link to it:

The Hackers Paradise - Bridgestone e7 Golf Ball Review

TaylorMade Red and Callaway HX Bite.

Drink the kool aid and go TM Penta like everyone else...

I don't think there's a better ball out there for what you're looking for than the NXT tour...Srixon trispeeds and AD 333 are good ones as well for what you're looking for...take a look at the bridgestone b330 RX which fits those under 105mph with the driver; compression city and not too much spin...

Reactions: JB
The NXT Tour is a fine ball however it offers far less spin and feel around the greens due to the rock hard cover it uses compared to that of a tour level ball or softer cover ball. It is very similar to the Bridgestone e6 and the Bridgestone costs less.

If you want to add some feel and spin around the greens you are going to want a ball with a urethane cover. 2-3 layers should work fine for what you are looking for. From there it is going to be either trial and error or a ball fitting. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Last edited:
Drink the kool aid and go TM Penta like everyone else...
How is it drinking the kool aid because a product worked for people that got to try it? Wouldn't drinking the kool aid be the Pro V1 that you swear by. Drinking the kool aid of marketing that they pay the most players to use that ball to get consumers to buy it too? Its a fine ball that I played for a long time, but I found others better for my game. As have other people on here.

If we had a 10 page that proclaimed our testers loved the Pro V1 or the Bridgestone you play, you would be saying the exact same thing proclaiming how great the ball was and that you too were great for playing it.

Sometimes people like new products when they come out. This particular product worked for almost every person that THP and TM sent them out to. It does not always happen that way, but we were glad to see people liked it as well as we did in our review.

Last edited:
I love statements like yours. How is it drinking the kool aid because a product worked for people that got to try it? Wouldn't drinking the kool aid be the Pro V1 that you swear by. Drinking the kool aid of marketing that they pay the most players to use that ball to get consumers to buy it too?

If we had a 10 page that proclaimed our testers loved the Pro V1 or the Bridgestone you play, you would be saying the exact same thing proclaiming how great the ball was and that you too were great for playing it.

:clapp::clapp::clapp::clapp::clapp:

How is it drinking the kool aid because a product worked for people that got to try it? Wouldn't drinking the kool aid be the Pro V1 that you swear by. Drinking the kool aid of marketing that they pay the most players to use that ball to get consumers to buy it too? Its a fine ball that I played for a long time, but I found others better for my game. As have other people on here.

Sometimes people like new products when they come out. This particular product worked for almost every person that THP and TM sent them out to. It does not always happen that way, but we were glad to see people liked it as well as we did in our review.

:clapp::good:

Thanks for all the help
Im going to go to a fitting today and ill tell you what i come up with

Your swing speed is very similar to mine and I find sucess with the Nike One Vapor. I notice in your sig that you play that ball some and I was just wondering where it didn't fit what you demand? I think the best premium ball out there right now is the Penta TP but if you are looking for a mid level ball without question the e6 or Vapor would be my two choices with NXT coming in third.

I've always used e6''s but now I'm going to go do a ball fitting come spring time to see if I should still be playing the e6 or if I need to go to the e7 now that the cover is a little softer than last year's.

Sometimes horses drink the water that they're led to as well...

...there are alot of great products out there...it is more than curious why so many here are on the penta bandwagon...

BTW, if you read the OP's original post, he didn't want massive spin...the E6 is junk, doesn't go anywhere, the the NXT tour is a very good ball; not sure where you get the rock hard cover thing, I can press a fingernail in it and it has that same heavy feel off the iron face that a prov1 does just not the same level of spin, just what the doctor ordered...

...unless the doctor is pushing penta balls...

Sometimes horses drink the water that they're led to as well...

...there are alot of great products out there...it is more than curious why so many here are on the penta bandwagon...

BTW, if you read the OP's original post, he didn't want massive spin...the E6 is junk, doesn't go anywhere, the the NXT tour is a very good ball; not sure where you get the rock hard cover thing, I can press a fingernail in it and it has that same heavy feel off the iron face that a prov1 does just not the same level of spin, just what the doctor ordered...

...unless the doctor is pushing penta balls...

That is flat out WRONG. First of all the e6 is far from junk for myself and the hundred people here that like it. Secondly, I get nothing, NADA, Zip, Zilch, from any company in the world in terms of payment or anything else. I have reviewed every major brand of golf balls and like quite a few.

Perhaps so many like the Penta because they got to see 8-10 people from this forum try them out pre-release and write their own thoughts on them. The instructions were simple. BE HONEST. Every tester will tell you the same thing. All but 1 thought they were great balls. Yet you bash them without ever trying them. Typical. One more accusation, and you can move along.

That is flat out WRONG. First of all the e6 is far from junk for myself and the hundred people here that like it. Secondly, I get nothing, NADA, Zip, Zilch, from any company in the world in terms of payment or anything else. I have reviewed every major brand of golf balls and like quite a few.

Perhaps so many like the Penta because they got to see 8-10 people from this forum try them out pre-release and write their own thoughts on them. The instructions were simple. BE HONEST. Every tester will tell you the same thing. All but 1 thought they were great balls. Yet you bash them without ever trying them. Typical. One more accusation, and you can move along.

I'm going to be banned for not having two niblicks and a sleeve of penta's?

Please explain to me why I'm not allowed an opinion on this or anything that contradicts yours?

I really dislike the e6, don't think it is a good ball...it flew shorter, didn't have much spin, felt hard off the face of my putter and was generally unspectacular...which apparently is wrong as it stands in stark contrast to your findings...

I play ALOT of golf, try alot of products and have pretty strong opinons on them based on practical experience...IMO that's worth bringing to the table...

NXT Tours are a very good ball...you're the first person I've ever heard say otherwise...just observations...:confused2:

You and I both know your "opinion" has nothing to do with it. Perhaps its the accusation more than anything else. And I will leave it at that. Having an opinion on this board is welcomed and cherished. Bad mouthing products and the people that like them without ever trying a product is not.

Never bought a taylormade ball but have been impressed with everyone I've found.tp red,black,burner.Can't wait to find a penta so I can judge for myself.

:confused2: Why can't we all just get along? :D

I agree.

BV - Read the Penta thread. I tried it too. JB didn't give me any, but the pro at my local muni gave me one. Everyone here knows I'm a high handicapper. I had shots that day that I've never had. Distance on iron shots that had my playing partners commenting were the best I ever hit. I hit an 8 iron from 100 that landed feet from the pin and stuck. My brother who is as skeptical as you, but more polite about it thinks I was just having a good day and I was in general, but it was more than that because I didn't use the Penta on every hole. On holes with water, I used another ball and it didn't perform nearly as well.

You are entitled to your opinion and we all know you play a lot of golf and play well so we'd like to hear it, but there is no reason to shout at us. Take a look around you - there are a lot of people here who love golf as much as you do and would love to have a conversation with you, perhaps even a debate, but not an argument.

If you're looking to keep to under $30ish a dozen, maybe give the TM Burner TP a try. Urethane cover, good but not insane spin, reasonable distance.

You're asking me!?!?:confused2:

I am not asking anyone anything in particular I was just putting up a post to try to bring a little humor into a situation that was getting heated and had no reason to be. We are all entitled to our own opinions and choices when it comes to golf equipment and supplies. Lord knows there are enough choices out in the marketplace for everyone. No one should be banned from this place for having an opinion and from what I can tell from a few conversations with JB that is not his style. The beauty about this site is that it is run by golfers, for golfers with no outside bias and that is huge!! I think the suject of banning came up because you repeatedly implied that the opinions of some on this site are being comprimised by the different golf companies whose products the site was reviewing.

If this person likes ball A and this one prefers Ball B then each play your own ball and no one will care. Everyone knows how the forum works here, someone asks a question or an opinion of the masses and then the masses respond. Anyone with a question about the topic at hand can see a thread of responses from different golfers of various levels ( some just like the inquirer) and from that he can make a more educated choice knowing other's opinions. Or he can ignore it all and do what he wants.

--- Steping off soap box----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back