Golf Ball Impact Is Quick & Straight Line Release?

collegefbfan

Reaction score
I have been practicing some drills my instructor sent. I have really been working on delofting the clubface (irons), getting my body to turn, and finishing with the weight on my lead leg/foot. I do remember seeing a video related to "straight line release" before I took lessons this last time. More or less, releasing the club very shortly after impact. When to release and the timing is puzzling me. So, just curious, if you have already made impact with the ball for that tiny split second, how much does how and when you release the club matter? I mean the ball is well on its way, correct?

A correct release is evidence of a correctly performed swing. When trying to hold a certain position for a release, the brain has a crazy ability to organize the body to make that happen.

So, practice a correct release, and the body will organize itself to recreate that position.

From what I understand from speed training, once your body starts swinging, it's sorting out how it's going to stop swinging. So how you intend to finish affects the whole swing up to that point. Think of Tommy Fleetwood for example. He was doing his 3/4 finish as a sequencing drill, and realized he hit it better that way, so he kept doing it.

More or less, releasing the club very shortly after impact. When to release and the timing is puzzling me. So, just curious, if you have already made impact with the ball for that tiny split second, how much does how and when you release the club matter? I mean the ball is well on its way, correct?

The club releases when it gets either below, or in front of, the hands, at that point physics runs the show and the shaft will kick if allowed, with or without pivot assist. Where that happens matters a lot, especially when shaping the ball. Release and impact, as commonly known, are intervals not discrete moments in time.

From what I understand from speed training, once your body starts swinging, it's sorting out how it's going to stop swinging. So how you intend to finish affects the whole swing up to that point. Think of Tommy Fleetwood for example. He was doing his 3/4 finish as a sequencing drill, and realized he hit it better that way, so he kept doing it.
I believe this. In my speed training, I tend to focus more on balance and I want my finishing position to be and let that guide my motion. When I do that I swing it faster and with a more consistent speed.

The golf swing is circular on an inclined plane. The path of the clubhead through impact will be circular as the clubhead swings through impact past the wrists which are the second hinge of a two hinge action. The first hinge are the shoulders.
Same principle as a car towing a trailer.
A straight line through impact in an elite golf swing has the wrist bone leading the hands into impact with the ball. The hands then follow the clubhead as it races towards the left shoulder. The feeling at impact needs to have the hands staying with the rotating left hip.

Back