Goals for the 2013 season

Chunkylover77

Proud JakeNation Member
Reaction score
Handicap
Well I think for me anyway, the 2012 season has come to an end. I will continue playing but the season is over. I had a pretty good year. Had a bunch of rounds in the 70's and consistently stayed in the mid to low 80's even when I did not hit the ball well. My handicap went from a 10 to an 8.2. I helped Team Hackers win the Morgan Cup. This year I really want to work hard and get myself to a place in golf that I have never been. My goals in no particular order:

1) Get to a 5 handicap or lower.
2) I want just 1 round at par or better. I really had a few rounds this year that could have gone that way but 1 hole was the difference.
3) Work on my mental game and just play smarter
4) Win the Morgan Cup

I've already begun my work to make this happen. Pro Mental Coach seems to be helping with the mental side. I've started being very specific at the range with working on small things each session instead of just swiping balls. I will probably take some putting lessons as well as that is one area that I can improve quite a bit in.

Hate that one of my goals will be to prevent you from reaching one of yours. Great thread though Chunky.

My biggest goal for the 2013 year is to average in the 70s, which I think is easily possible for me. In terms of my golf game, I actually want nothing to change right now, except maybe a better wedge game. I'm playing the best golf of my life right now and I hope it can carry over to next year.

Good idea for a thread at this time.
This year I will be doing something that I started last year and due to an injury was not capable of completing and that is redoing my swing completely. Last season I hired a golf coach, started my process, but then hurt my back and did not have time before the Morgan Cup to put work in on the new stuff, so went back to the old. So this year (come about March 1st) I will begin this endeavor.

I am really looking forward to it and while I know I will take a few steps backwards before heading forward, I am ready.

In 2013 my goal is to keep my scores in the mid-80s at worst, and to work on my putting and short game. Those two have been my crutch in my golfing career, and I think that when I get more consistent with that the scores will routinely be lower.

Good idea for a thread at this time.
This year I will be doing something that I started last year and due to an injury was not capable of completing and that is redoing my swing completely. Last season I hired a golf coach, started my process, but then hurt my back and did not have time before the Morgan Cup to put work in on the new stuff, so went back to the old. So this year (come about March 1st) I will begin this endeavor.

I am really looking forward to it and while I know I will take a few steps backwards before heading forward, I am ready.

Does this swing coach subscribe to a specific swing theory? I'm always interested in that type of detail. For me, I need to move with the core. If I do that, I am solid. If I don't, I am wildly inconsistent.

Whodat, I love that you are trying to keep me from my goal. It's the journey, not the outcome

My goal is to consistently hit half of my fairways. My game off of the tee is absolutely awful right now, and has been for the last several months. I have been hitting 3-4 fairways each round all year. It is frustrating, and it is so much easier to score from the fairway. On the bright side, my scrambling ability has been getting tested.

Does this swing coach subscribe to a specific swing theory? I'm always interested in that type of detail. For me, I need to move with the core. If I do that, I am solid. If I don't, I am wildly inconsistent.

Whodat, I love that you are trying to keep me from my goal. It's the journey, not the outcome

No. They work with what you have naturally and tweak from there. I am not a huge fan in coaches that build around their philosophy strictly rather than someone that works with what one has. Now if someone had a crazy amount of time to work on their game every day, I might have a different view, but most do not.

My Goal for 2012 was to get to the single digits with my handicap, and while my golfing year doesnt technically end, I am proud that I was able to accomplish that goal from where I started at the beginning of the year.

My year long goal for 2013 is to get below a 6 handicap. I want to improve my iron game and hit more greens, but dont have a specific average I am looking at for a goal at this time.

Biggest goal for the year? Win the Morgan Cup. I've been more motivated than ever the past few months to get my game in top shape, and I am excited about continuing the work to get it where it needs to be.

Those are great goals Chunky. I have similar goals as well and my game has been about the same as yours; I have had quite a few rounds in the 70s and my bad rounds are mid-80's. I also want to shoot a par or better round, I have been able to shoot even par or better on 9 holes, but never for a full 18. Just need to put two good 9's together. I feel like I am on the verge of really getting over the plateau next year, I really made some good strides in the second half of this past season. The key for me next season will be improving my putting. I am rolling the ball on my desired line more often, I just need to get better at reading greens and improving my lag putting.

I'm excited to be on this journey for the Morgan Cup with you again, I think we can both push each other in the next season to reach these goals and hopefully help bring the cup home for Team Hackers again.

I want to get to scratch or better in 13, and i'm going to get a teacher to help me with my putting. I avg 30+ putts a round and if I can fix that alone I'll get there, I miss more 5 footers than you can imagine, and it's the difference in Birdies vs par for me.

My goal is to get to a single digit index.

Great goals guys, I hope achieve them!

My goals for 2013:

- Play 50 rounds or over.
- Lower my HCP to 5 or under.
- Play one round to par or under.
- Get 20-30 yards length more to my drive.
- Get my putts per round average under 30 for the whole season.
- Enjoy and experience the Morgan Cup to its full extent.

My Goal for 2012 was to get to the single digits with my handicap, and while my golfing year doesnt technically end, I am proud that I was able to accomplish that goal from where I started at the beginning of the year.

My year long goal for 2013 is to get below a 6 handicap. I want to improve my iron game and hit more greens, but dont have a specific average I am looking at for a goal at this time.

Biggest goal for the year? Win the Morgan Cup. I've been more motivated than ever the past few months to get my game in top shape, and I am excited about continuing the work to get it where it needs to be.
Where did you start and what were the keys to getting to single digit?

Those are great goals Chunky. I have similar goals as well and my game has been about the same as yours; I have had quite a few rounds in the 70s and my bad rounds are mid-80's. I also want to shoot a par or better round, I have been able to shoot even par or better on 9 holes, but never for a full 18. Just need to put two good 9's together. I feel like I am on the verge of really getting over the plateau next year, I really made some good strides in the second half of this past season. The key for me next season will be improving my putting. I am rolling the ball on my desired line more often, I just need to get better at reading greens and improving my lag putting.

I'm excited to be on this journey for the Morgan Cup with you again, I think we can both push each other in the next season to reach these goals and hopefully help bring the cup home for Team Hackers again.

I think so too Bradd! Another goal that was not written is to be a more active Captain for you dudes. I think Google + and some video chats can be fun productive team sessions for anyone that wants to join in. I think pushing each other can really help reach goals and be fun at the same time. Plus next year I don't want you kicking my butt in our practice round again!

War,
The improvements you have made in 12 months is simply incredible. Having played with you last year and then again this year it is night and day. Good luck on the journey.

No. They work with what you have naturally and tweak from there. I am not a huge fan in coaches that build around their philosophy strictly rather than someone that works with what one has. Now if someone had a crazy amount of time to work on their game every day, I might have a different view, but most do not.

+1, absolutely agree with this.

I'm going for consistently shooting low 80's and getting my index down to a 10 range. I'd like to start competing in my clubs MGA tournaments and I'd prefer to be a more consistent ball striker prior to doing this so I'm not holding up the groups while I hit 3 from the rough on a par four because I hit my approach fat off the toe.

I am working on it a lot so hopefully I can get it there.

Really hoping to get to 5 or under this year. Really need to stop making dumb mistakes and to start taking more advantage of good shots.

I think I have a lot of golf goals
1. Average a score of sub 80 for the year. The last few months of the season I was between 79 and 84 so I can get there.
2. Improve up and down's
3. Improve putting
4. Attend at least 1 THP outing or Invitaional
5. Qualify for the Morgan Cup 2014
6. Get some THPers together for a Western Canada get together
7. Play more rounds than this year.

Primary goal: make more money. I had my best season as a pro last year and while it has increased my own budget somewhat, I still can't do all the things I need to do in order to take the next step. Sponsors are tough to come by (eff the economy) so I assume I'll have to do it on my own...by winning more money.

My main golf goal next year is to lower my average score by 1 stroke, from 72.9 to sub-72. I can take better advantage of the par 5s and in order to do that I need to hit the ball higher and improve my pitching from 20-50 yards.

I improved my putting, driving and short game last year and it meant about 2.7 strokes per round...which is huge when you tally it in 36 or 54 hole tournaments. Middle of the pack vs top 10.

Mentally, me and my coach(es) will try to be more emotional and fired up on the course. I've always been a slow starter and I only really play my best when I'm under pressure. Then I'm fistpumping and doing the whole Keegan Bradley-thing. More of that intensity and focus early on in rounds and tournaments and/or find a way to increase the pressure on myself.

Good thread idea ... in fact I hadn't thought about this as of yet because I was just breaking two of my 2012 goals in the past week (break 80 and a course handicap at my home course under 12)

For 2013 I want to:

1.) Write a little e-book on my putting method to help people with the yips and confidence issues or no feel on the greens at all. I almost gave up the game because i couldnt putt, now i love being on the green. Its Something totally different than feel putting or stocktons signature putting. Totally robotic and math oriented. If it helps someone, that's awesome. Writing it down has helped me, so I'm going to flesh it all out.

2.) Have a par round

3.) Get my cap as low as I can ... Maybe a factor of 6? That'd be good. Maybe I can do better.

4.) Make some eagles, including one from a fairway. I'd settle for a hole in one!

5. Hit more greens

Heres my factor history from 2012 ... I went through a swing change in the spring that hurt my scores and my mental game, but I grinded and it paid off and I'm still building on it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353265948.784089.jpg

Last edited:
When my tee shots were awful, my wedge game was decent. Now I'm teeing off better but my wedge game has gone to crapper.
Overall playing better but I have to fix these issues to progress.

For 2013 I'd like to be a more consistent all around player. I tend to start out most all my rounds striking the ball well and my mind thought is in the right place but more often than not I let one bad shot lead to more bad shots. So to be more consistent I need to work on my mental game and just play smarter golf.

I ended 2012 hitting my driver longer and straighter and want to see that again in 2013.

Want to makes it to Golftec in January or February at the latest.

Definitley making it to at least one THP outing in 2013

Get my handicap down to about 14.

Back