Glove Wearers: How Do YOU Beat The Heat?

tpluff

I <3 GAWLF
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
I've seen several posters recently talk about gloves getting destroyed in the summer heat. Since we are in the notorious dog days of August, I thought it would be convenient timing to ask THPers how those who wear gloves keep them from becoming sweat laden clumps of cabretta leather [or whatever material your glove is].

So THP, if you wear a glove while golfing, what are your tips and tricks to keeping your glove as pristine as possible during, and even after, the round when you are sweating like crazy?

For starters I don't take it off during really hot days. On and off causes major issues for me, but by leaving it on the full round, far less issues. Recently what I have been doing is carrying two gloves and changing at the turn. Still wearing it the entire time.

I take my glove off after every shot no matter what the weather is like and let it air out for a minute. If it's particularly hot or humid I try to carry 3 or 4 gloves and rotate them throughout the round. I'm sure there's something I could do after the round to help them out, but I just throw them back in the bag.

I just kinda expect the glove to get a bit wrecked, there's not a whole lot you can do about it but try and keep your hand as dry as possible between shots and then hope for the best.

Also, glove sales are quite a bit important during the summer hehe

For starters I don't take it off during really hot days. On and off causes major issues for me, but by leaving it on the full round, far less issues. Recently what I have been doing is carrying two gloves and changing at the turn. Still wearing it the entire time.

I haven't thought about just leaving it on. I take mine off more for my hand than to protect the glove, but I thought it helped both. What kind of issues do you see taking them off?

I sweat like a fiend. In the summer, I usually rotate 2 or 3 gloves a round, taking the glove off after every shot (unless I didn't hit far enough to do it). I try not to play the same glove 2 holes in a row. I ride so I'll wrap the glove around the oh **** handle or support bar so it can get airflow. I don't putt with the glove on so I'll usually lay the glove on the cart path where I'll see it or lay it on the green, rather than stick it in my pocket. I can usually get 5 or 6 rounds out of a glove this way.

In high summer I use synthetic leather gloves (even though I hate the feel of them) because the leather ones sweat through faster, dry more slowly and are ruined more quickly.

I rotate as many as it takes throughout the round. On a normal day I might be able to get by with just two. Play one for 4-5 holes, the other for the rest of the front nine, by the turn the first one is dry and so I do the same half-and-half deal again. The key is to stop before the glove becomes completely saturated. If I pull it off when the wrist sweats through but before the palm and back get wet it will dry in under an hour.

I wear sun sleeves which hold up the sweat and keep it from running down onto the glove. This is the biggest key. Most of what soaks the glove quickly is running down from higher up the arm, not from literally your hand sweating. Gotta stop that run-off or you have no chance. Plus if you don't wear sun sleeves the sweat running down your arms onto the glove may have sunscreen in it as well, which doesn't dry but just stains the glove.

As other(s) have mentioned upthread, I leave the glove on continuously until it's time to rotate. Pulling a wet glove on and off your hand repeatedly will stretch out of shape even a synthetic glove in no time.

Some very nasty days I will need a four-glove rotation, literally changing every other hole. So I always have four with me even if I hope to rotate just two.

I bought two two-packs of the TM "Stratus Tech" gloves (two gloves for $21.99) at the start of the summer. After about 15 rounds they are holding up fine so I think I'll be able to get all 25-30 of my June-July-August rounds out of $44 worth of gloves. And the two which I seldom use (only rotating them in on the most humid days) will be nearly new at the end of summer.

I haven't really found a way to combat it. Load up on them on the Budget Golf sale, there's a bunch on sale!

Meaning you putt with it too? That's the one thing I can't do.

I wash it more frequently. Also, during the round I will rinse my hands frequently.

Couple of gloves - rotate for each shot. I put on right before I hit, and take off right after. Also, I don't wear a glove for pitches/chips/putts.

Take it off after every shot and secure it to the cart somehow or the bag to let it dry off leave it out after the round. If it’s really hot then it’s a 2-3 glove rotation

Lots of 90 degree 60+% humidity days here. I rotate through 2-3 every round and the glove comes off immediately after every shot. One thing that seems to help quite a bit is keeping a large towel that I wipe my hands and forearms down with frequently - it seems to keep things dryer than just wiping down my hands. Other than that, I make sure to let the gloves hang/air dry after every round. If left in the bag, they're toast - gross and sour.

Take it off and let it air out as much as possible while putting/chipping. This entails leaving it on the cart or attached to the wheel, and not in my back pocket, as that makes it worse. If riding, i will also sometimes take it off and air it out riding to my next shot haha.

My hands sweat... a lot. Yet my gloves now last a very long time.

I cannot recommend this product enough. Key is that I first apply after washing and drying my hands before leaving for the course. If I wash again, I apply once again. I buy it on Amazon.

Other than that, I do take my glove off after each shot and position it on the cart's frame so that the air fills it as we drive.

I don't take practice swings so that makes up for the time to remove/replace.
b9b202973864455e76f1074b224eef46.jpg

use a different glove for each nine. Also let it dry out nicely before putting it up after the round

Yea like a few people said already, I’m a 3 or 4 glove rotation guy. It gets so humid in Georgia in the warmer months that I feel like there isn’t much you can do. I will say, the better quality Cabrera leather gloves certainly last longer so I feel a bit more justified paying more.

Otherwise, has anyone tried wearing the rain gloves as regular gloves since they’re essentially water proof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This exactly, I wear Srixon gloves. Mine never come off during the round, swap out at the turn and it works just fine. When I get done I just loop the velcro around a handle and let it hang to air dry and it seems to work just fine.

I have a rotation of gloves and use a hand dri lotion made for racquetball that really works good. I also carry a towel and wipe my arms off between shots.

I need to try this. I think the taking it off and on killed one of the UA gloves I had.

This exactly, I wear Srixon gloves. Mine never come off during the round, swap out at the turn and it works just fine. When I get done I just loop the velcro around a handle and let it hang to air dry and it seems to work just fine.

I need to try this. I think the taking it off and on killed one of the UA gloves I had.

Yup. Hands expand during the round and the constant on and off to me was something that was adding to issues. On, the hand was shaded and on and off, gave me fits in durability and moreso, just the glove getting soaked.

I take mine on and off during the round. I cant stand putting with a glove on or hitting 75yd shots and in with a glove on.

But, if its hot and humid ill take it off and hold it out in the breeze as I drive to the next shot or hang it by the O-Sh*t handle till I need it. Seems to work ok for me.

I am not really concerned with them being pristine. Usable and effective are my goals. Rotate 3 or 4 FJ WeatherSof gloves when it is really hot to make sure I always use one that is at least remotely dry.

As others have said I take mine on and off between shots and don’t wear a glove from inside of 100 yds.

I stick it on my push cart or attach it to the cart

I beat the crap out of gloves and usually swap a glove out every 10 rounds or so and if it needs sooner I do it sooner - i buy a few pairs at a discount before the season similar to balls

This is typically my strategy as well... I've also had some success using a FJ Rain Glove, as they're very durable. It still provides plenty of grip, and lasts me many more rounds than a leather glove does.

Back