Game improvement over Super Game improvement?

kyle87

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm in a dilemma here. I'm about to be getting a new set of irons here in about a month or so and would like some incite from you guys on the different club types. First of all I'm the average golfer, playing about 3 times at most a month. I'm a high handicap, shooting between 110-120 most every time I play. I'm currently working to get my game better but the new mechanics of a proper swing are bearing down on me mentally. It is probably the fact that I'm trying to change my swing that I have had for going on about 7-8 years now. Practically all arms with no shoulder/hip turn to speak of. So after being lazy and not learning the "proper" way to swing for so many years I've decided to change that. It has been a very difficult. I think it all comes down to the fact that I'm focusing too much on every single detail of my swing that I'm missing my spot when coming down on the ball.

With that out of the way, I'm wondering what I should do as far as game improvement over super game improvement clubs go. As I mentioned I'm trying to get better and I'm not really looking for the easy way out as I used to. I have a major problem with sweeping the ball and not coming down on it. One of the reasons why I'm trying to refine my swing to work on coming down on the ball consistently. But I saw a quote from another forum that put it what I could see best. " Do you want a club that you can work with to get better but still have a little bit of leeway or do you want a band-aid to shave some strokes over your scorecard." Is this a proper way to look at it or can you learn from hitting SGIs. I ask because the Burner 2.0s have caught my eye as well as some other SGIs like the Razr X HLs and Superlaunch irons. I'm just having a hard time mulling this over and want some incite. So in short should I just get SGIs or GIs like the 2.0s to try to get better and not simply just wanting a better score. I've just seen many people saying that with SGIs you really can't even tell most of the time with off center hits like you can with GIs. Help me out if you can please. Any good articles are welcome too. Thanks!

My advice to you is to buy irons that you have the most success right now with. If they are SGI clubs then get those and if they're Mizuno MP 69's then get those. If you need to practice hitting down on the ball I've heard good things about the Tour Striker.

Neither will make you better - only learning the right way to swing and practicing will do that. I don't think there is a monumental different in forgiveness across the face between the two, though you may find other opinions on that.

The giant soles on SGI irons are nice if you hit fatties, and they aid in launching the ball higher. An SGI could also help your mental game since they just look like they will be easier to hit. Neither iron is really going to hold you back at your level imo. Calling an SGI iron a band-aid is not a good description. You're just looking for something that's easy to get the ball in the air and forward while you learn.

I will be the first to say that no iron is susceptible to the big misses that are common in high handicappers. You'll still get a pretty bad result if you're topping, chunking, or just duffing the ball. Planning on 'growing' into irons is a good way to spend money faster. I'd go with the one that you hit well and makes you believe you're going to hit it well, regardless of classification or what you think the future holds. If you want something else later on, switch then.

Neither will make you better - only learning the right way to swing and practicing will do that. I don't think there is a monumental different in forgiveness across the face between the two, though you may find other opinions on that.

The giant soles on SGI irons are nice if you hit fatties, and they aid in launching the ball higher. An SGI could also help your mental game since they just look like they will be easier to hit. Neither iron is really going to hold you back at your level imo. Calling an SGI iron a band-aid is not a good description. You're just looking for something that's easy to get the ball in the air and forward while you learn.

I will be the first to say that no iron is susceptible to the big misses that are common in high handicappers. You'll still get a pretty bad result if you're topping, chunking, or just duffing the ball. Planning on 'growing' into irons is a good way to spend money faster. I'd go with the one that you hit well and makes you believe you're going to hit it well, regardless of classification or what you think the future holds. If you want something else later on, switch then.

Very nice wisdom you offer here. One of my biggest problems has always been getting the ball to launch into the air. One thing that factors into it in large part is I believe the Foremost Walmart set that I have been using since I was in High school 7 years ago. My friend has the Burner 1.0s and I've hit his before and were launching them no problem even on fat shots. Although I've only swung the clubs about 10-15 times they felt very good and really weren't having much problem hitting them. One of the main results that I got was hitting a high 4 iron shot with plenty of speed on it. Something I have literally never done with my clubs. As a mental aspect of it, I think my clubs also hurt me there. They are very old cavity backs and are very unforgiving with a minimal sweet spot. If I'm having an off day it gets me even worse because I know that I have to hit the clubs flush to get a good ball flight out of it.

If you can launch a ball fine with those 1.0's, I don't see why they (or something similar) wouldn't work for you.

seem to recall some used burner 1.0s in the marketplace if thats the route you go

Also, you might consider just going with GI set with the 5 or 6 iron as your lowest iron and tossing two or three hybrids in the bag too. I did that for almost two years. I just gave away my 5 hybrid over the winter. It was one of my favorite clubs for a long time.

Also, you might consider just going with GI set with the 5 or 6 iron as your lowest iron and tossing two or three hybrids in the bag too. I did that for almost two years. I just gave away my 5 hybrid over the winter. It was one of my favorite clubs for a long time.

I believe that I will mostly likely do that over time. I used my buddies cheapo Top Flite 5 Hybrid and I blasted it much farther that I do my my regular 5 iron. I really think hybrids are almost a must for me because I don't carry any iron over 155-160. One of the main reason that I'm working on my swing is because my power is just not there with my current swing and I know I could add probably another 10-15 yards all around with a proper swing technique and flush contact. I've hit a few hybrids and I'm surely a believer in them. Especially since I'm very inconsistent striking with my longer irons.

I would not get too caught up in GI SGI and so on. They are just letters. Each company has a different definition of what those categories even are. You can get really good with any set of irons- as long as you are comfortable with them. But I sure would't buy irons that I wasn't 100% comfortable with, in the hope I would 'grow into them' or just because of some preconceived notion about whatever letters someone put in front of them.

I used XLis for a long time and I could tell where i missed with them just fine. I tried out the Cobra S2 Max set a while back and could get decent feedback from those as well. The Mizzy MX-950's give great feedback. So really, don't go into it thinking 'its an SGI therefore I must be sacrificing something' over the GI. You aren't.

Take the Burner, the Razr HL, maybe the Cleveland HB3's, and Ping G20's, and for the hell of it maybe a Mizzy MP53 and try them out - without even thinking about whether they are GI SGI ABC XYZ's and just pick the ones you hit most consistently.

The hybrids were good confidence builders for me, especially because I was short off the tee. They got a lot of use lol. Good luck. You can surely find something out there for a good price that works out for you.

I would venture that ANY new clubs at this point would be an improvement technologly wise over 7 years ago. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll drop 15 shots right away...but it doesn't hurt either. I recently got the Nike machspeed SQ's. Firmly in the GI range (for some here those are ancient, but for me they are new) the first new irons I had in 15 years. I'd love to tell you they changed my game overnight...but I just haven't had the chance to use them enough to tell. I've had them since September and played about 3 1/2 rounds with them. They look nice, and I feel confident with them; I just need to play more to tell.

Which may not be so easy. To quote my wife circa October 2011 "...but you've already played like 5 times this year. Isn't that enough?" <sigh>

I would venture that ANY new clubs at this point would be an improvement technologly wise over 7 years ago. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll drop 15 shots right away...but it doesn't hurt either. I recently got the Nike machspeed SQ's. Firmly in the GI range (for some here those are ancient, but for me they are new) the first new irons I had in 15 years. I'd love to tell you they changed my game overnight...but I just haven't had the chance to use them enough to tell. I've had them since September and played about 3 1/2 rounds with them. They look nice, and I feel confident with them; I just need to play more to tell.

Which may not be so easy. To quote my wife circa October 2011 "...but you've already played like 5 times this year. Isn't that enough?" <sigh>

Lol. I know what you mean. Some people just don't understand that golf should be played every day possible. I think you are right about the upgrade though. It is one of my major concerns when I play even on the range. If I start out hitting them bad there my confidence is killed right off the bat. I know adding the ball is one of my biggest problems when hitting as I'm sure it is for many. I can take perfect practice shots all day. I step up I get ball anxiety and sometimes only hit it like 25 yards off a pitiful shot!

The main point is that it's all aobut feel and comfort. Hit as may as you can. GI, SGI whatever. When I got the Nike's, I went in convinced I wanted the callaway diablo edge irons. I hit A LOT of different clubs, and had some hlep from an...'okay' rep at Golf Galaxy. In the end I just hit the nike's better. They felt better. I didn't even like the look as much...but the feel...

Like everyone else has said, don't get caught up in the SGI/GI differences. Find one that feels good to you, fits your eye and puts the ball downrange.

I was in the same boat you were, had some junk old clubs that I made do with. In March of last year I started the process of building a bag. First step was irons and I ended up with the Burner 2.0s. While it was not magic, the new irons are a huge reason for my improvement. Since then I have continually added to my setup and while my game has improved, the best part has been the fun times testing out all the cool stuff. So I encourage you to get the process started and enjoy the ride, it is a ton of fun and very rewarding!

Hawk has made a lot of great points here that I think should lead you into the right direction.

Don't get caught up in the whole GI vs SGI thing, it all really depends on what you hit best because when it comes down to it, you're the one swinging the club and a mistake to still a mistake and either club is going to offer more forgiveness, but it wont cover up the issue.

Think looking into hybrids is another great option as well. There are even a few companies who offer combo sets that include hybrids in replace for the longer irons.

Of course the VERY BEST option, if you have the money and the facility near you, is to get fitted. That will help your game the most. That is if you have the money or are near a place that will do it for free if you buy from them.

Get your swing repeatable first - something that you can trust - so much of iron selection just has to do with what you like - what looks right and what feels right - as someone who just went through 4 sets of irons in 2 months - practice getting your swing - the clubs will "help" but they won't do it for you

Think I read it on Golf Digest or something but generally SGI is designed to just make it easier to launch the ball in the air and marketed towards high-handicap(20+?) people who have trouble hitting the ball. GI is more for mid to low handicappers and designed for a bit more performance/workability.

But I agree with the posters that ultimately you have to try the clubs yourself and see which one suits your eye and your game needs. And yes, get lessons. :)

Of course the VERY BEST option, if you have the money and the facility near you, is to get fitted. That will help your game the most. That is if you have the money or are near a place that will do it for free if you buy from them.

Unfortunately fitting is out of the question. I wish I could but these clubs are going to be a graduation gift and don't want to go overboard with it. Also there are very few places around here to get fitted. Plus they charge.

If I were you I'd get a nice used set and put the rest of the money into some lessons. I've seen the G5's for $175 for 5 to PW. I took 6 lessons over the winter and it has helped my game out tremendously.

Unfortunately fitting is out of the question. I wish I could but these clubs are going to be a graduation gift and don't want to go overboard with it. Also there are very few places around here to get fitted. Plus they charge.

Actually you can get pretty close with a static fitting, then search for a used set that matches your specs. If you can get closer to a fit with a static measurement then it is better than just picking up anything and trying to hit it. Most likely you will want the easiest to hit clubs you can find. Whatever helps you to get as good a result as possible with your swing.

Actually you can get pretty close with a static fitting, then search for a used set that matches your specs. If you can get closer to a fit with a static measurement then it is better than just picking up anything and trying to hit it. Most likely you will want the easiest to hit clubs you can find. Whatever helps you to get as good a result as possible with your swing.

Will try that out. Thanks

Last edited:
Great advice in here. Adams has some great sets that blend hybrids and irons.

If you're shooting over 100 then I would definitely work on the swing. An option would be to find an inexpensive used set or prior year models. Lots of good deals out there. Then spend the difference on a series of lessons.
Once your swing becomes repeatable and scores drop dramatically, then consider dropping money on a fitted iron set.

All the previous posts are good advice. Try to demo the clubs and don't worry about the labels. You will be able to tell the difference among the different irons and the right ones will be apparent. The "right" ones will have a feel, look, sound, and ball flight that you like.

Back