G25 or Covert VRS

Redowl

Reaction score
Handicap
fast food
Do you think one of these would be more gentle/forgiving for a high-handicapper trying to correct a slice?

My current driver is 7 years old, and rarely comes out of my bag during the round. To be fair, I can't really blame it on the club. I have a wicked slice, and am so scared of my driver that I'd rather whack my 4 iron 200 yards a crack instead of risking a shot that careens two fairways over.

I know I need to work on my slice, but I also know I need to get a new driver.

The aforementioned clubs are the two that feel the best in my hands when I swing them at Golf Galaxy, but it's hard to get an idea for their forgiveness when just swinging into the net/monitor.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

R.O.

from nikegolf.com - "High-speed cavity back technology delivers longer and straighter shots. Utilized in drivers for the first time, this technology positions the weight of the golf club at the heel and toe to enhance forgiveness and add even more distance to off-center shots. The result is more stability at impact for greater distance and control."

I've only hit both clubs on the launch monitor as well but I felt like the Covert was more forgiving on mis-hits. hopefully people who have hit both or one or the other on the range/course can give you some personal experience.

Do you think one of these would be more gentle/forgiving for a high-handicapper trying to correct a slice?

My current driver is 7 years old, and rarely comes out of my bag during the round. To be fair, I can't really blame it on the club. I have a wicked slice, and am so scared of my driver that I'd rather whack my 4 iron 200 yards a crack instead of risking a shot that careens two fairways over.

I know I need to work on my slice, but I also know I need to get a new driver.

The aforementioned clubs are the two that feel the best in my hands when I swing them at Golf Galaxy, but it's hard to get an idea for their forgiveness when just swinging into the net/monitor.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

R.O.

I have G20. Easy to keep in the fairway. Would likely cost less too!

Happily Tapping from toilet or bed.

The only fix for a slice is an improved swing. No club is going to cure a slice.

I have the VRS Covert and agree with Scrap Iron, if I let it go, it goes!

What the Covert does for me is confidence, it looks so good at address I feel like I'm ready to hit a good shot. I've broken the "I can't hit a driver" block with it, it makes me relax, which helps with the swing, which helps with the hit...

I tried a lot of drivers and they all performed similarly on good hits but none gave me the confidence to relax as much as the covert so as a consequence, I have *more* good hits with it and actually look forward to using it.

I'd put my handicap in the 24-28 range and I know for me that the mental side and confidence plays a far bigger part in me having a good day than the specific equipment.

The only fix for a slice is an improved swing. No club is going to cure a slice.

^^ This ^^

Buying an adjustable driver and closing the head, may provide some small assistance in keeping the ball straighter, but I am afraid it isn't going to be the cure to your slice. I was in a similar position about a year ago and went through 2 or 3 different drivers before realising that if I didn't sort my swing out it was never going to change.

I still have a habit of hitting a gentle fade if I don't swing properly and get through the ball and my big miss is still a slice, but I am now in a position where I can control this and I am hitting more fairways than I have done for a long time.

My advice - spend the $200-$300 on two or three driver lessons to at least get you going in the right direction then think about the new driver.

PS - You might also want to try a ball like the Bridgestone e6. The e6 is superb at minimising side spin as much as possible and you will find it "helps" to keep the ball a little straighter.

I have hit both. I like the Covert more. But the G25 is really forgiving.

Neither in my opinion.

Buy a G20 on the cheap it's the straightest driver I have ever hit.

Mark Crossfield has them both on the GC2 in this vid

Neither in my opinion.

If you started talking nice about the Covert, I would buy you a ring with precious gemstones.

I understand that may not have helped

Believe me, I have no expectation that a new, pretty arrow will fix me, the indian. But I also know that I don't care for the dull thud of the 9* Big Bertha that's collecting dust in my bag. The club was a hand-me-down from a friend many years ago. Now I'm after a fresh start and would like a club that is "mine" as I start to improve my swing.
I'm not opposed to buying cheaper/used if someone has a club recommendation (like the G20 that was already mentioned). I'm just looking for some general guidance before going in to the golf store again.

Thanks again for all the replies.

R.O.

Covert all day.

THPing on Tapatalk

I have hit both of them. Ironically I have only hit two new drivers this year, and these are them (both stock stiff shafts).

I instantly fell in love with he G25. I hit the G25 noticeably farther than the Covert. One thing that I did notice is that I could not draw or fade the ball as easy (workability). I would imagine it is because the head is more forgiving than my i20. Guys please correct me if I am wrong.

A buddy of mine recently purchased the G25. His past shot has been a controlled hook/sever draw. In first round with the G25, he was constantly on the right side of the fairway or just in the rough on the right side of the fairway. I will mention that he is right handed. He felt like he kept pushing the ball out to the right. I told him I thought he was just lining up to the right due to his past shot being a big draw/hook. I have since talked to him and he is keeping it in the fairway much more often after adjusting his alignment. It kind of tamed his shot.

I really feel like the G25 was a good fit for both he and I, but you really need to hit the drivers to see what works for you. A new driver is not going to correct a swing flaw, but it may minimize the effects.

Are you slicing because of your swing or because you're missing the sweet spot?

I read somewhere that 460cc driver heads are all relatively close in MOI. USGA regulates the size and most 460cc heads will be within like 200g-cm2 of each other, which would be difficult for any golfer to notice a difference. Guess what I'm getting at is they're both forgiving heads, and pick one that responds well and offers confidence.

Are you slicing because of your swing or because you're missing the sweet spot?

I read somewhere that 460cc driver heads are all relatively close in MOI. USGA regulates the size and most 460cc heads will be within like 200g-cm2 of each other, which would be difficult for any golfer to notice a difference. Guess what I'm getting at is they're both forgiving heads, and pick one that responds well and offers confidence.
A little from column A, a little from column B...
I know I have few hitches in my giddy-up, and that's something I intend to work on with a professional when possible.
With that said, I believe my current driver has a 360cc head (not sure how much of a difference that missing 100cc will make). I personally think 9* is too little loft for me, and I have no idea how the stock shaft matches up with my swing.
Again, I know it's me to blame, not the club - but I have to think that my current club will hinder my confidence and slow my learning curve a bit more than new(er) clubs.
I could be wrong - and I often am.

Thanks again - I really appreciate everyone's opinions!

R.O.

The club that is going to help you most with a slice that isn't adjustable is likely the AMP Offset, though like all others clubs it is not going to solve a swing problem. The Offset can be had for very reasonable prices these days, as it is last year's model. It is an underrated but very solid club.

If you are fighting a slice it is most likely not the club it is your swing path. Try out some clubs that have setting on them that you can close. I use to hit a strong fade with my old Taylormade Superfast 2.0. I tried alot of drivers out and the two I hit the best were the K-15 and last years Cobra Amp set on the closed position. Now with the K-15 I am hitting it dead straight or a baby draw, start hitting it great and you will have confidence and swing better with every tee shot. Try them all out and see which one hits best for you and hides your mishits. I have been hearing great things on the Adams woods line last year model and this year.

Some drivers can slighly help your slice, but nothing will fix it. Both of those options are top notch drive options right now.

I'm getting a driver fitting today and will look at the G25 and Covert. Will let you guys know what I come home with.

Last edited:
I'm getting a driver fitting today and will look at the G25 and Covert. Will let you guys know what I come home with.

Thanks sf_ !
I would love to hear what your thoughts are when you swing them side-by-side.

R.O.

Before you purchase a driver see if there is a Course locally that has a Trackman and see if they also have different drivers you can hit. If you are going to purchase a Covert at New Price I would look into The Callaway Razr Fit. I also had a fade and with lessons and being able to change the heel/toe weights I have started hitting the ball straighter and further.

Thanks sf_ !
I would love to hear what your thoughts are when you swing them side-by-side.

R.O.

Ok, back home after a long day at the store, 2 hours to be exact. Walked in and there were a lot of people shopping and using their practice area with the computer. I grabbed 4 different drivers I wanted to look at which include the Ping G25, TaylorMade R1, Nike Covert, and Callaway RAZR fit Xtreme. All were configured to 9.5 degrees with stiff flex. Went to hit all 4 and after about 15 minutes, I called a fitter to come help me analyze the numbers.

4th place - :taylormade: R1
pros: Looks very nice imo and highly configurable; sounds nice on impact
cons: Felt heavy compared to the others; large 460cc head; swing weight felt heavy - it didn't feel natural for me on the back swing; lowest swing and ball speed compared to the others for my swing = shortest distance 254-268 yds at about 94 mph​

3rd place - :nike: Covert & Covert Tour
pros: Love the bright red color and the Nike swoosh; very nice looking driver; not as loud or pingy like the others; prefer the 440cc head size of the covert tour vs. the larger covert.
cons: Like the TaylorMade, the shaft-head combo just feel heavy; ruined my smooth tempo on the back swing and the head seemed to move slower through the air. Not sure if that cavity pocket creates some turbulence / drag. Just a thought. had decent numbers similar to the TM. I hit about 10 balls and even on the solid ones where it sounded like I ripped it, it went about 260-265 with a clubhead speed in the 90s. Couldn't get the clubhead speed in the high 90s or past 100 mph.​

2nd place - :ping: G25
pros:​ Wow, just wow, this driver is LONG! 460cc head, the 9.5 felt like my old 10.5 with a high launch angle due to the size of the head. Easy to get up in the air and probably the "hottest" face of the bunch. With a swing speed of 95-98 mph I was able to get 275 - 295 yds with one smash being the longest at 306 yds. Great feel on swing, lower swing weight compared to TM and Nike.
cons: ball trajectory looked like my old G5 driver at 10.5 degrees; still a tad bit heavy having a 460cc head. Nothing to really not like about the driver, it's long, easy to hit, good cary. Hard to keep the ball lower. Highest trajectory of all 4. If it weren't for the Callaway's, this would be in my bag tonight.​

1st place -:callaway: RAZR fit Xtreme
pros: Hmm, where do I begin. Didn't even consider this driver when I walked into the store. Have seen it online, but not hearing the buzz like the other 3. 440cc size head which I prefer; light swing weight - so light, I never felt a driver swing so effortlessly. My clubhead speed average was higher, even when I was exhausted from hitting the other drivers by the time I got to the Callaway. Averaged 97-105 mph and consistent distance of 285-295 with a long 302 yds; lowest spin rate of all 4; lower trajectory which is what I'm looking for. A lot more solid contact feeling compared to the others, mainly due to the swing weight which didn't alter my tempo. Solid sound, a little loud, but what driver isn't these days. Shows my natural fade and a lot more clustered around the center. Seems very consistent.
cons: non-adjustable loft - no need if you are fitted to your correct / desired launch angle (consistently getting 11-12 deg of launch angle). Pricey.​

At the end of the day, it was more feel and the feeling of consistency. The numbers validated that and the fitter recommended the callaways based on those numbers. He then tweaked the heel & toe weights to see if it would reduce my natural fade, but it didn't. I like the fade because it generates the distance.

So to answer the OP's questions, if I had a choice between the Nike Covert vs. Ping G25, I would go with the Ping. It was a close one today and I could go either way, but the feel in my hands and throughout the entire swing was more natural with the Callaways.

gj1c5133.jpg

Last edited:
Back