Future of Product Testing on THP

This is a great post and that is why they are called donations. And maybe it can be fixed by saying people must be their own shipping. That way if they have hardships financially, they just dont have to enter.

JB....I agree with this 1,000,000 %. I think that would solve a lot of problems on both ends.

Wow! I just read this whole thread. That took forever.

I think the way selection testers does a great job. I have been disappointed that people go MIA after receiving the balls in some of the ball testing threads. I think the best option for the future of selecting testers is Smalls recommendation. I think it gets more people involved in the site and gets people to stick around longer. I do think his ideas are a little much. I think a 100 post mark is a good start. This shows that you are actively involved in the site and want to contribute some. It really doesn't take that long to past that mark.

I do also like the idea of paying for shipping. I would not mind doing this a bit. I think you are financial struggling to do this, then you cannot afford to test. You have to pay for range balls and green fees to do a great testing job. I don't want to read a review of somebody that only test in their backyard the whole time. I want some real life golf action or range time. The donation thing is not that hard to. Heck save a quarter a day for 80 days and you have $20. That is easy.

I think when people are selected to be testers you need to step up to the job given to them. I try to give every thought I have about the product, good or bad. I want people to know what triumphs and problems I have. Maybe this will help them find the product that can help them fix their game and get better scores. Being selected as a tester is not winning a contest, it is being hired to a job. One lucky part of it is you get paid the product you are testing. That might be some balls or clubs, but either way you get paid and need to do a good job at it.

I am sorry for the different rambles, but I just read a 600 page book getting to this point in the thread. My mind is a bit all over the place right now.

I agree with paying for shipping!!

I don't know if I'm ever going to catch up with this thread but wanted to agree completely with those comments about supplying honest feedback to the testers. Being a first time tester I am wondering what more I need to write or explain, or if I need to change my writing style to better get my points across, or if there are questions I can answer better. Positive or negative as long as it is constructive it is welcome either on the board or PM. :rockon:

I wanted to post on this as well. I welcome anyone to say to me that I am doing a poor job. I remember being selected for the blind ball test and quite honestly I didn't know if I was doing enough. I feel like I've completely blown both of my reviews for the blind ball and the Bridgestone ball. I would have loved for someone to quote me and say hey I want more. Tell me about greenside spin or driver spin. Critiquing(spelling?) my review can only help me and in turn only helps THP. Plus I would love it if during my blind ball test someone like Thainer(not saying you did bro) would have said hey did you really see the backspin? Do it right out in the open or in private I don't care. It would have helped me out in reviewing the product even better. Anyone who reads a review that I write I wholeheartedly welcome any questions or critiques. Sorry for jumbled thoughts

very true....but if you're going to come onto THP at any point in time of the day and with all the different threads, etc going on you're only going to make one post per day?

I read many posts per day but don't always comment. If I don't have something specific to add on the topic I don't post something just for the heck of it. Post counts are very decieving.

My honest feelings on this is that YOU guys need to build staff. Let the staff write the reviews(and you guys too). I understand seeding, but for general testing, just build your staff. You know what to expect, theyre reliable, youll get the quality and standard that THP has built and will continue to expect, and you can 'fire them if necessary(just saying).

The problem here is that I think the staff size is pretty close to what it should be anyway (testers, writers I am talking about here). To do the kind of testing THP is talking about would require to add 40 or 50 or more testers to the staff. Most of the time we couldn't keep that many busy. I think JB wants full time testers and to have the forum members pick up the extra. If all those people were on staff, then they couldn't be kept busy enough I don't think.

I get where people are coming from when they are angry, I've been there, I just didn't post about it.

I would be lying if I didn't sign off of THP being a little miffed a time or two. There are several items I wanted to be chosen for or contests I thought I should win or one thing or another. I always took a step back and reflected before angry posting. I always figured I'd have a shot or maybe they didn't think I was right for something, I always rationalized that it wasn't worth getting upset over, so in the end it was more disappointing than anything but I was still grateful for what I had done or tested or won.

I am always happy for people that get selected, it's a great feeling and they are obviously deserving and will do a good job, so encourage them, don't discourage them.

I came to THP because I was an equipment junkie and I wanted to learn about the latest and greatest equipment. I liked the fact that THP would have items in hand before equipment was in the stores and quite frankly it made my research a lot easier to do. The contests I thought were a huge bonus...wow, I can win something just for being active and reading about a subject that interests me, DUH, winning!

Then the testing started...so you mean I can test items before anyone else, give honest feedback and then keep them...DUH, winning!

Then the little outing, then the holiday giveaway, then a big outing, then and even bigger holiday giveaway and now an even bigger outing and now the Morgan Cup...DUH, winning!!!

I had a conversation with TC once where we were just chatting on the phone and we talked about seeding and he was discouraged about one thing and I was discouraged about another. We both agreed that we knew bigger things were on the horizon and one day we would have our shot. We were both selected for the Morgan Cup, an honor I am still extremely humbled by. It takes time, but THP knows whats going on and being active is VERY rewarding!

All of this is an added bonus because I am already doing something I love, which is reading about equipment and sometimes having a thing or two to contribute.

I like what THP is currently doing regarding the testing. It's obviously growing and may go in a direction no one can predict. In the short term, I see more staffers being added, it's just a natural progression of things and I know the current staffers and testers are very busy with what they are doing and could probably use some help.

Just stay active, be positive, be happy for others, be grateful...this is a great site, in fact the best site on the web, you'll be happy you did.

I read many posts per day but don't always comment. If I don't have something specific to add on the topic I don't post something just for the heck of it. Post counts are very decieving.

I agree 100%, but it is a way to measure activity for testing for us. Quality over quantity of course, but we have to see activity. Otherwise how will we know if someone will be the same tester that they are poster. With one update every so often just offering the basics. Its not a perfect criteria to choose, but we have to start somewhere.

agreed....but we're talking about 1 post per day. you mean someone can't find more than one thing to comment on with everything THP has to offer? I know some people don't like to post and prefer to read but if those are the same ones complaining about not being picked for testing/seeding then that's wrong. If they can't comment or post in the forum on equipment being tested or reviewed then how could they offer feedback then for the real thing ?

When I read this post, it truely (truly?) upset me. I love that THP does this stuff, and even though I haven't been selected yet, I think it is great that this group even gives ANYONE the opportunity to do this. Those that do are privileged, and those who don't will in the future. If they are so upset that they start complaining to YOU, then they should just not participate. I hope I do get to test something in the future, but If I don't atleast I'll get to be part of the greatest golf forum on the web.

I get where people are coming from when they are angry, I've been there, I just didn't post about it.

I would be lying if I didn't sign off of THP being a little miffed a time or two. There are several items I wanted to be chosen for or contests I thought I should win or one thing or another. I always took a step back and reflected before angry posting. I always figured I'd have a shot or maybe they didn't think I was right for something, I always rationalized that it wasn't worth getting upset over, so in the end it was more disappointing than anything but I was still grateful for what I had done or tested or won.

I am always happy for people that get selected, it's a great feeling and they are obviously deserving and will do a good job, so encourage them, don't discourage them.

I came to THP because I was an equipment junkie and I wanted to learn about the latest and greatest equipment. I liked the fact that THP would have items in hand before equipment was in the stores and quite frankly it made my research a lot easier to do. The contests I thought were a huge bonus...wow, I can win something just for being active and reading about a subject that interests me, DUH, winning!

Then the testing started...so you mean I can test items before anyone else, give honest feedback and then keep them...DUH, winning!

Then the little outing, then the holiday giveaway, then a big outing, then and even bigger holiday giveaway and now an even bigger outing and now the Morgan Cup...DUH, winning!!!

I had a conversation with TC once where we were just chatting on the phone and we talked about seeding and he was discouraged about one thing and I was discouraged about another. We both agreed that we knew bigger things were on the horizon and one day we would have our shot. We were both selected for the Morgan Cup, an honor I am still extremely humbled by. It takes time, but THP knows whats going on and being active is VERY rewarding!

All of this is an added bonus because I am already doing something I love, which is reading about equipment and sometimes having a thing or two to contribute.

I like what THP is currently doing regarding the testing. It's obviously growing and may go in a direction no one can predict. In the short term, I see more staffers being added, it's just a natural progression of things and I know the current staffers and testers are very busy with what they are doing and could probably use some help.

Just stay active, be positive, be happy for others, be grateful...this is a great site, in fact the best site on the web, you'll be happy you did.

well said Biggsy...duh winning

WOW , I just got home from work and seen this thread , and got to page 6 and made my head & heart hurt . I can not believe people are bitching that they have not been chosen to do testing !! Shame on you , that is so selfish !
I would not change a thing on how you go about choosing who gets chosen .
As I have not been a member very long but I have tried to participate , and be a benefit to THP . I did not join for the free stuff , I joined because after lurking and reading threads this place has a whole different attitude for a forum , no bickering , belittling , flaming ...ect , that other forums are full of . THATS why I participate & love so much about THP !

I had a full on long post here but deleted the rest as I think its all been mentioned before .
As I am sad that it even had to come to this JB & GG .
I am truly sorry .

EDIT: Heck I would review my own clubs, my own bag, my own balls before getting the opportunity to review a new product.

Do it, if you think it will help someone, I know there it a forum for the supertri.

That's what this is supposed to be about (as I take it), helping fellow golfers, not testing the newest equipment and getting it for free. Put out the knowledge you have and what has worked for you so that others can see what has worked for people going through the same problem or looking at the same equipment. I know everyone on here with a slice has worked the baseball field drill, because it has worked for others. Get the knowledge out there that we collectively have and if you get chosen for a test, take it seriously write up a review that will help the members of this site and stop complaining.

I agree 100%, but it is a way to measure activity for testing for us. Quality over quantity of course, but we have to see activity. Otherwise how will we know if someone will be the same tester that they are poster. With one update every so often just offering the basics. Its not a perfect criteria to choose, but we have to start somewhere.

I completely understand your challenge. I truly hope that you get to see the quality of the post and just not the number. I have no idea if you are capable of that or not but if it was purely about the number it would be very decieving which was all I was getting at.

I agree with this completely and it describes me. I read many threads a day and try to comment only when I have something to say (and even then I get myself in trouble :D). This describes many valuable members here, and I think if you set too high a number for what's "active" you aren't necessarily chatty and/or encourage the space-wasting posts by people who've gotta meet their quota even if they've got nothing to say.

I have been fortunate to be selected to test a couple of items. So, obviously, I would like the selection process to remain open to a wide audience.

I think limiting testers to a "test committee" makes the testing much like other sources. I can read reviews by "professionals" on lots of sights. Here I read what regular guys (and girls) think.

Some restrictions are reasonable like recent posts and total posts and a requirement that the testers pay shipping costs.

Would I like to be the lucky guy who tests the latest megabucks driver, of course. If I'm not selected I might be disappointed but not P***ed. Having the chance is great There is always next year (us Red Sox fans were used to that phrase).

As Lincoln said about pleasing all the people all of the time - it ain't gonna happen. Like the government sending aid to needy areas; why didn't you send more sooner.

We are lucky we get even a glimmer of hope that we can test these products. If people get mad, too bad. As long as the selection is done fairly there should be no apologies.

I just read another post offering to review their own equipment. I like it. Maybe a thread where we can all post information about currently available products that we use and like or have rejected. This could make information about all kinds of products available which might rarely make it into the mainstream testing.

Last edited:
agreed....but we're talking about 1 post per day. you mean someone can't find more than one thing to comment on with everything THP has to offer? I know some people don't like to post and prefer to read but if those are the same ones complaining about not being picked for testing/seeding then that's wrong. If they can't comment or post in the forum on equipment being tested or reviewed then how could they offer feedback then for the real thing ?

I am sure anyone can make more than one comment per day but I want that comment to be relative to the topic and add value. That is just my personal opinion. I read a lot of information that has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

I agree.I have been here only a few months and my post count is low because I read most threads but if I don't have anything to add worthwhile ,I don't post.Also,I am not as knowledgeable about different shafts,etc.so I read the posts to get my information and only comment if I have a question or a helpful idea.If I was ever selected as a reviewer,I would definitely be willing to pay shipping,that seems very fair!

I completely understand your challenge. I truly hope that you get to see the quality of the post and just not the number. I have no idea if you are capable of that or not but if it was purely about the number it would be very decieving which was all I was getting at.

We see quality as well as quantity. We also see who is on when. But quality and quantity dont have to be exclusively separate, both can happen at the same time. Saying that an active forum member should average a single post or two a day does not seem extravagant. Chat tour some time or about some equipment and that can eat up 2-3 posts. Comment on someone elses review after reading it that it was helpful. These are things that make this place what it is. Asking questions, getting answers and helping others.

I love the way THP does testing.

The people organising this testing and trusting others to be honest and straightforward have every right to be the ones choosing who gets to have the privilege.

To me, having more staffers might be a good compromise. Unfortunately, as the membership grows, so will the number of people looking for 'something for nothing'.

My only other solution involves me renting a warehouse over here.... :wink:

+ a billion on the bold part, but I agree with everything you said. This place is ALWAYS coming up with these great events and opportunities for everyone, how anyone could get too upset or angry really is strange to me. If you're left out one thing buck up and stay positive, there is surely another chance coming up right around the corner!

+ a billion on the bold part, but I agree with everything you said. This place is ALWAYS coming up with these great events and opportunities for everyone, how anyone could get too upset or angry really is strange to me. If you're left out one thing buck up and stay positive, there is surely another chance coming up right around the corner!

i agree

I don't even think people should need to be told to stay positive. To even get the chance to put your name in for this sort of opportunity, is quite frankly, amazing. THP has so much more going on than the great giveaways and testing opportunities.

All easily said from my comfy chair outside the whole issue, I'm just wading in!

Also, I'd like to address a situation that was brought up earlier in this thread about a PM that was sent to another member about the Morgan Cup selection process. I wasn't the person that sent the PM in question but the entire exchange was forwarded to me and I was aware of the situation while it was happening. I can assure you that the original message was intended to be taken in a facetious manner and the sender of that message certainly had no ill or malicious intentions towards the other member and the entire situation was blown completely out of proportion.

The thing is, how many times have you seen someone say something, then someone else says, I can't believe you actually believe that. Then they say, I was kidding, I can't believe you thought I was serious. People should watch what they say, especially when it's just typed out, because it's hard to tell if it's serious or not. In situations like that, I am of the opinion that very few times was the original thing said in jest. They just didn't expect the backlash so they add later that they were only joking. We have smilies and hehe's and haha's for when you are joking.

I like the play it forward idea. People can send something back if they want and we can donate it to charity or use it for a contest but I also like the idea of play it forward.

I will say one thing about people keeping equipment. If you do decide to sell it, please don't tell me and PLEASE do not sell it on our site. That's just a small side note.

This may have already been agreed with, but I'm going to do it again. Doing this is the biggest slap in the face to I can think of.

Back