Full size mini driver?

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I have struggled forever with the big stick but the Taylormade BRNR has shown me just how consistent I can be from the tee box. Although I should be content with what works and roll with it I wonder how good a full size mini driver would work?

Having the low point of my swing being in the middle of my stance then hitting upward into the ball is easy to understand but impossible for me to get comfortable with. I can set up with some reverse K at address to promote an upward strike but the ball will always be the low point of my swing.

The BRNR allows me to tee it low and use my natural swing to produce consistent and long drives. I would like to try a standard length driver with a low spin higher loft head that I can tee low and just swing away at.

Anybody tried this with success?

Yeah I've built a few like that. Last one was with the LTDx LS. It's fun. Had to add a bunch of weight back to the head but it worked exactly as expected. Higher, easier to square up, and a little shorter overall. Doesn't satisfy any real need for me though so only ever get used for a few months.

@JB is well known for playing a second driver that's shorter.

Yeah I've built a few like that. Last one was with the LTDx LS. It's fun. Had to add a bunch of weight back to the head but it worked exactly as expected. Higher, easier to square up, and a little shorter overall. Doesn't satisfy any real need for me though so only ever get used for a few months.

@JB is well known for playing a second driver that's shorter.
I would like to try it at 45.5" to start and see if I need to shorten it for accuracy. I am not convinced shaft length is the root cause of my inconsistency.

I would like to try it at 45.5" to start and see if I need to shorten it for accuracy. I am not convinced shaft length is the root cause of my inconsistency.
Oh I'm sorry I think I misread. Standard length low spin high loft...

You can try it. And it might work alright. It's pretty uncommon for reasons though.

The shorter shaft has helped me tremendously. If you want a “full size” mini-driver. I would look at the Tour Edge
E524 HL (15°) driver.

IMG_2506.pngIMG_2505.png

Oh I'm sorry I think I misread. Standard length low spin high loft...

You can try it. And it might work alright. It's pretty uncommon for reasons though.
im pretty confused also. what exactly are you asking?

BRNR mini on a 45.5" shaft? or something like Cobra DarkSpeed LS 10.5 lofted up to 12.5? Then experimenting with length from there?

in theory why people have an easier time hitting something like the mini drivers is because of the shorter shaft but also because the smaller head shape is easier to turn over and square up than a regular full size driver head

something like Cobra DarkSpeed LS 10.5 lofted up to 12.5? Then experimenting with length from there?

I am wondering if a full size low spin head lofted up would show results similar to the BRNR. I am questioning if the benefits I am seeing with the BRNR are more from the low spin design of the head and ability to hit good shots with a descending blow or if it is the compact head and short shaft. There is no doubt the mini driver works great for me, I am trying to figure out which aspect is helping me the most and how to implement it into a full size driver.

Back