I’ve never been great at fly fishing.

I’ve never been great at fly fishing.
I will have a ways to go and will not be able to do it a lot, but we have a cabin in CO that we try and get out to yearly.

Used to when I was younger, made my own fly's. Not any more though.

Cutthroats at high mountain lakes a couple days ago. Just got back from float trip today Browns and Rainbows. IMG_6701.jpegIMG_8035.jpeg

I last fly fished in 2020 on a drift boat through our world class river and didn't catch a thing. I did not have the touch at all for it. Meanwhile, my buddy caught 3-4 24" trout that were all incredible.

Great fun, but I need oodles more practice.

I was a part of a fly fishing club in high school that got shut down because it was "too dangerous" due to the water risks... yet somehow rugby was ok? We spent the winter tying flies which was great fun, but sadly never got to try them out.

I will have a ways to go and will not be able to do it a lot, but we have a cabin in CO that we try and get out to yearly.
What part of CO. We spend time in Salida area

Fly Fishing

I lived to fly-fish before I discovered golf. Good lord do I miss it. I'm from the driftless area of Wisconsin some of the best trout water anywhere.

Fly fishing around Sierra Nevadas is my favorite thing to do. Doing some backpacking later in the summer. With all the snow this year, there will be so much water hanging around that the flows will be high in July and I'm worried the mosquitoes will carry people away.

30 years back- I raised rainbow trout in MO. Spring water with .6 miles of stream - hotel and restaurant. Stocked the stream for pay by the pound fishing or catch and release We had a bunch of fly fisherman that taught me the basics. It take a bunch of parctice to be effective. I was always a Muskie guy so I have never perused it further.

Went up to the mountains yesterday, slept in my SUV and got up about 5:30 this morning and fished a creek I have never been to. Caught a bunch of small browns that I put back and caught some rainbows to bring home for dinner.

It was a great day...but boy, I am sore. It was a lot of work in the small creek. Probably 4-5 miles of walking.

Going to try and get into this more. Anyone do this or have suggestions on starter reel/rod? Leaning towards the Redington field kit for trout.
My first rod was a white river kit from Bass Pro/CaBellas and it served me really well. It’s still my preferred rod for small, tight water streams comapared to some of the “nicer” combos I have

Went up to the mountains yesterday, slept in my SUV and got up about 5:30 this morning and fished a creek I have never been to. Caught a bunch of small browns that I put back and caught some rainbows to bring home for dinner.

It was a great day...but boy, I am sore. It was a lot of work in the small creek. Probably 4-5 miles of walking.
That sounds like a fantastic day

I’ve gone a few times. I love it. If it was something I had access to closer I think I’d do it regularly.

I love it, but unfortunately can;'t anymore due to some neck issues. And soon I'm going to be selling some Fly equipment, from rods to reels. Equipment that ranges from fresh to light saltwater if anyone is interested.

Back