Fish, but not fly yet :(. However, my wife's uncle lives with one of the top brook trout rivers in the world (Grand river in Fergus, ON) run through his backyard. Gotta pick it up next time I visit.

Used to, but decided to play golf, not much time for both.
If you ever find yourself up this way we have some of the
top rivers on the eastern seaboard for fly fishing salmon(NL Canada).
Cheers
Pea

Haven't fly fished since I moved back to Ontario, use to love fishing for rainbow and cutthroat trout, grayling in B.C./Yukon.

I am not a fisherman, but it's supposed to be pretty good near our cabin on the Henry's Fork...and the Madison. May need to try it soon.

I sometimes fly fish in saltwater for redfish and speckled trout. Conditions have to be right for me to do it though. Winds under 10mph and a rising tide to fish the back waters of the laguna madre in south Texas.

I am not a fisherman, but it's supposed to be pretty good near our cabin on the Henry's Fork...and the Madison. May need to try it soon.

Pretty good is a severe understatement! I would love to fish that area. I love to flyfish and it is as much an obsession as golf.

Ummm, yes that is an understatement! Henrys Fork and the Madison are the mecca of rivers for fly fishing to a lot of folks. I'd love to get up that way sometime

I Love to fly fish, just got back from a couple weeks in the Smokies, had a great trip. Like RoyalWulff said it's an obsession.

I was really into it when I lived 2 blocks from the Yellowstone River. Moving back to the Midwest sort of made me lose the bug, though I did get some good smallmouth fishing in while in Michigan.

I used to fly fish a ton in college. I lived right near one of the best rivers in NC and had lots of time go spend on the river. It was great and they kept it really stocked all year round. I broke my rod my senior year and haven't done it since. I miss those days.

I went once several years ago. We were in Vail, CO a few years ago and went on an overnight fishing trip. We floated down the river for 2 days and fished. It was actually a lot of fun and I caught some nice trout. I was worried I wouldn't be able to cast very well, but it was a piece of cake. I used to do a lot of bass fishing as a kid in ponds and fished the river near my house a ton.

John Deere Tap'n

Troutbum, Did you attend Troutfest?

Nah, didn't make it. I had to leave early saturday morning to get back. Did you? I heard it was a great time. I'll be back up in a couple months.

Nah, didn't make it. I had to leave early saturday morning to get back. Did you? I heard it was a great time. I'll be back up in a couple months.

No, I didn't make it this year to TF. I've been the past two years, but my schedule wouldn't allow this year. I heard a lot of people were sad that Lefty wasn't able to make it.

Yeah he got sick I think. On the bright side, he's going to make good on his float trip, he's a class act that's for sure.

Anyone been fishing lately?

It's been killing me. I haven't been able to go in about 3 months.

Fly fishing gear is to expensive.
That is a huge misconception IMO. I allow flyfishing to be expensive, but not because it has to be. Very comparable to golf as far as costs. You can go all out or skimp and get cheaper stuff.

It's been killing me. I haven't been able to go in about 3 months.

I'm going to get my trout fix in the Smokies next week, the colors should be at peak and the trout should be hoppin.

my boss injured his forearm fly fishing and the dr told him he's not allowed to fly fish anymore....lets just say that he's not a happy camper

my boss injured his forearm fly fishing and the dr told him he's not allowed to fly fish anymore....lets just say that he's not a happy camper

How did he do that? Holy crap!

I used to fly fish way back in the 70's when I lived in Grant Pass Oregon as the Rogue River was just 20 yards from my back door , caught alot of Salmon , Steelhead , and trout . The Rooster Cogburn movie was filmed 32 mile up river , and the last Gun Smoke episode where Matt Dillon jumped off the cliff into the water was called HellsGate Canyon , and it was about 25 miles down stream .
I actually built my fly pole from scratch as you had to have Hunter safety course and pass and they taught you how to build either a Fly pole or rod and reel pole .
Sad thing is my mom threw everything away I had when I graduated High school and moved away !

I used to fly fish way back in the 70's when I lived in Grant Pass Oregon as the Rogue River was just 20 yards from my back door , caught alot of Salmon , Steelhead , and trout . The Rooster Cogburn movie was filmed 32 mile up river , and the last Gun Smoke episode where Matt Dillon jumped off the cliff into the water was called HellsGate Canyon , and it was about 25 miles down stream .
I actually built my fly pole from scratch as you had to have Hunter safety course and pass and they taught you how to build either a Fly pole or rod and reel pole .
Sad thing is my mom threw everything away I had when I graduated High school and moved away !

Man, that's back when the water out there was unknown but by locals, it's a shame you lost that fly rod, that must have been fun to make. Was it fiberglass?

Back