Flip Side - Did you ask for a club/other discount at your last fitting?

Asked for a deal or something for free/swag

• Yes

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Sort of. I'll explain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but it was offered.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I got a discount on the fitting itself

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Or something free? Box of balls, hat, whatever.

Let's take it the other way. It's already pretty apparent most don't think it's a tip worthy service.

But did you go the other side of generosity and ask for something for your effort?

Didn’t ask but got one.

I don't think Callaway was going to provide MORE of a discount than the 100% they already generously provided.

Yeah I want in the the free putter fitting from odyssey at my local GG just no free time to get it!

My shop threw in a crew neck when I got fit/purchased in January. I’ll take it 🤝

I have never even thought to ask. Guessing this thread is because someone did. Some of the fitters I've been to will comp the fitting if you buy through them, but that's the closest I've come to getting anything back on it. In my mind I'm paying for their time and use of their equipment, which at most of them has been well worth it.

I never turn down free stuff but I don't ask for or expect it.

No, but because of how much business I send them, they gave me a great deal on parts and labor.

I never turn down free stuff but I don't ask for or expect it.
^ Same. It wouldn't even occur to me to ask for free stuff. In fact, if they offered me free swag and it wasn't something I had a need/use for, I'd probably decline it.

I don't like to collect junk just because it's free - and if it's something I don't need or am not going to use, it's basically junk. The first thing I do when we get swag bags at things like charity scrambles is go through the bag and toss/give away all the stuff I don't want/need, so I don't bring a whole bag of junk home to sit around in the garage until I get around to cleaning it out at some undefined point in the future.

I’ve never asked for anything free. I wanted to buy a cap and he gave it to me.

No but it was offered. I went to a Callaway demo day. The fitter said he couldn’t beat my current clubs so we talked for a bit as they tore down. Wound up mentioning I was hearing good things about the upcoming ball release and walked away with a couple sleeves of the not yet debuted Chrome Softs. I felt kinda special.

No, I did not last time I was fit. Nor the time before. Never have thought to and don't think I ever would unless I knew there was a specific promo going on.

I have had 3 paid fittings and a few others that were free. None were high pressure. I never even thought to ask for nor did I consider that a discount was an option. I would have assumed that any discount would have been offered if it was available.

This makes me think of car buying and haggling for price. I have heard that we are supposed to haggle for mattresses too (at mattress and maybe furniture stores). Are we supposed to haggle for golf clubs too now?

I have had 3 paid fittings and a few others that were free. None were high pressure. I never even thought to ask for nor did I consider that a discount was an option. I would have assumed that any discount would have been offered if it was available.

This makes me think of car buying and haggling for price. I have heard that we are supposed to haggle for mattresses too (at mattress and maybe furniture stores). Are we supposed to haggle for golf clubs too now?
Feel free not to. There's this weird thing in Arkansas where outside of gas and groceries people seem to think that all prices are negotiable.

Feel free not to. There's this weird thing in Arkansas where outside of gas and groceries people seem to think that all prices are negotiable.
I mean the worst someone can say is no right? lol

I laughed at this because it's so true. Having lived there and experienced it. Imagine being a recruiter and the kids and parents are like what do I get for joining the Navy? Um, b*$#%, you get a job and you get to serve your country. lol

I am sure it's not unique to Arkansas, I recall as a teen working in the local drugstore the occasional but rare person asking if we would take some price for something, instead of what it was marked - batteries, a timex watch things that honestly made no sense and it was so rare and random.

Oh and my folks after they retired they went into the antique business, no one ever paid the ask price - 'can you do better?' 'what's your best price?' After a while they marked stuff up to take this into account - like I am confident everyone does in that business.

Man, shopping can be an extreme sport.

^ Same. It wouldn't even occur to me to ask for free stuff. In fact, if they offered me free swag and it wasn't something I had a need/use for, I'd probably decline it.

I don't like to collect junk just because it's free - and if it's something I don't need or am not going to use, it's basically junk. The first thing I do when we get swag bags at things like charity scrambles is go through the bag and toss/give away all the stuff I don't want/need, so I don't bring a whole bag of junk home to sit around in the garage until I get around to cleaning it out at some undefined point in the future.
I used to work in the outdoor industry and I had a bag of keychans/bottle openers/lanyards, etc that I carried around for years including two moves. Throwing it away was extremely freeing. I still find random branded swag from 10+ years ago occassionally.

I was supposed to get a 3 ball or 2 ball pack of the new Chrome Tour when I did the AI Smoke fitting event, but they never had them.
I would not ask. Especially if they were not requiring me to buy anything.

I mean the worst someone can say is no right? lol

I laughed at this because it's so true. Having lived there and experienced it. Imagine being a recruiter and the kids and parents are like what do I get for joining the Navy? Um, b*$#%, you get a job and you get to serve your country. lol
Hahaha

My wife and call it "what are you gonna give me for giving me what I want?".

My fitting was free, so didn't expect anything else.

I didn't ask but Windmill has a deal that the wood fitting is $125 and if you buy a club, they only charge $55.

Back