Feeling really discouraged

Slope rating is 123 from whites, 115 from reds.
123 is not easy! 115 is relatively easy. If you mix & match, you will have a decent test of golf without being penalized too harshly.

You might ask the course to rate a combination of white/reds & add it to scorecard, so you can establish a valid HC.

I wouldn't be playing golf if it wasn't for short courses and forward tees!

Reactions: Ooo
I want to take the time again to thank everyone for the encouraging words; the advice, private messages and wise perspectives from veteran golfers has been some much needed good medicine.

And thanks to you all, I’m now hitting from the forward tees and looking forward to my next round again. I also messaged my playing partners and told them I’m hitting from the forward tees for now on, you guys emboldened me to do that. This group is the best.

I can so relate to this topic.
My game has been in reverse all season, with scores closer to 100 than 90, and all of my positivity is slipping away. The game is becoming a chore, and very disheartening. I just can’t eliminate the 2 or 3 blow-up holes a round. Aspiring to consistent bogey golf, and breaking 90 occasionally, shouldn’t feel as out of reach as it does.

I love this game, but am starting to feel it is affecting my mental well-being. Coming home feeling dejected after a round is not why I play. Feeling like it might be time to move on to another hobby.

(and it feels kinda cathartic to be able to write that here)

Last edited:
I love this game, but am starting to feel it is affecting my mental well-being. Coming home feeling dejected after a round is not why I play. Feeling like it might be time to move on to another hobby.

I have felt that way in the past. I finally decided the score is not the reason I play. I am trying to improve, but I can still enjoy a round when things go south.
Lately, when I put up a bad score, I try to remember...
How it felt when I hit that one or 2 (or more) really good shots. That feeling of compressing the ball when I catch it just right.
The satisfaction of making a difficult pitch or chip from trouble to save par (or more often, bogey)
The pleasure of sinking a long putt.
The laughs I share with my partners.

As I improve, I'm practicing more this season than I have in the past few years. I remember the last time I made a big improvement in my swing mechanics & overall gaem, I started wanting to play & practice all the time, and it got to feel like another job - like something on my "TO DO" list rather than a source of fun.

So...I'm trying to enjoy this journey more.

And I totally appreciate that if you're not feeling it, it might be time to give golf a break & spend your precious time doing something more rewarding. It will always be there for you if you want to come back

I can so relate to this topic.
My game has been in reverse all season, with scores closer to 100 than 90, and all of my positivity is slipping away. The game is becoming a chore, and very disheartening. I just can’t eliminate the 2 or 3 blow-up holes a round. Aspiring to consistent bogey golf, and breaking 90 occasionally, shouldn’t feel as out of reach as it does.

Maybe just stop keeping score for a while? I think that’s worth a try my friend.

This was two days ago, making progress. Nine holes of course.

39811C43-4570-4288-8A1E-F4E47473A104.jpeg

Candidly. Why keep score. Play if you enjoy it. Endeavor to improve. If at some point you feel you have, write down the numbers, otherwise don't beat yourself up.

Candidly. Why keep score. Play if you enjoy it. Endeavor to improve. If at some point you feel you have, write down the numbers, otherwise don't beat yourself up.
I keep score because it just doesn't make sense to me not to, but I don't let my golf scores have that much impact on my emotions. It's a game that I'm playing for fun, I'm not making money at it and don't ever have any aspirations to do so, so what difference does it make if I shoot 72 or 122? My golf scores don't define me as a person, and while there are plenty of people who are a lot better at golf than I am, there are also plenty of people who are a lot worse at it. And there are a lot of very rich and very successful people who suck at golf, it certainly hasn't ruined their lives.

If I put up a bad round of course I'm disappointed and maybe a little frustrated right afterwards - but that's it. I go have lunch and a cold drink and I'm over it. My attitude is that I had a great day doing something that I enjoy outdoors with my friends, and I'm already looking forward to going back out next time and shooting a better score. I start every round thinking that today could be the day - I could shoot a PB, I could get a hole in one, I could hit some spectacular shots that amuse and amaze me....and if I don't, hey, there's always next time. In 37 years of playing this game, I can remember one round that burned my ass and still sticks in my craw - all the others I've completely forgotten and they don't matter. I can sure remember a lot of great times I've had playing golf, though.

I see people on the course who are angry and miserable all the time, and it makes me think two thoughts....number one, why are you letting a stupid game affect you so much, and number two, if you hate it this much, why the **** are you still doing it? I don't pay money to do things I hate that make me miserable.

I keep score because it just doesn't make sense to me not to, but I don't let my golf scores have that much impact on my emotions. It's a game that I'm playing for fun, I'm not making money at it and don't ever have any aspirations to do so, so what difference does it make if I shoot 72 or 122? My golf scores don't define me as a person, and while there are plenty of people who are a lot better at golf than I am, there are also plenty of people who are a lot worse at it. And there are a lot of very rich and very successful people who suck at golf, it certainly hasn't ruined their lives.

If I put up a bad round of course I'm disappointed and maybe a little frustrated right afterwards - but that's it. I go have lunch and a cold drink and I'm over it. My attitude is that I had a great day doing something that I enjoy outdoors with my friends, and I'm already looking forward to going back out next time and shooting a better score. I start every round thinking that today could be the day - I could shoot a PB, I could get a hole in one, I could hit some spectacular shots that amuse and amaze me....and if I don't, hey, there's always next time. In 37 years of playing this game, I can remember one round that burned my ass and still sticks in my craw - all the others I've completely forgotten and they don't matter. I can sure remember a lot of great times I've had playing golf, though.

I see people on the course who are angry and miserable all the time, and it makes me think two thoughts....number one, why are you letting a stupid game affect you so much, and number two, if you hate it this much, why the **** are you still doing it? I don't pay money to do things I hate that make me miserable.
My response was meant for someone shooting 140. Would you be keeping score if you were shooting 140 Big Mac?

My response was meant for someone shooting 140. Would you be keeping score if you were shooting 140 Big Mac?
I did when I was shooting 140. My first ever round on a full size course was 144 (probably not a fully legit score, but I kept it). I spent more than a few years shooting well on the north side of 100, so I'm no stranger to it.

I'm a numbers/stats geek, so playing a sport without keeping score just doesn't compute for me. I'd probably give up the game before I'd do that - but that's just me and how my head works.

I did when I was shooting 140. My first ever round on a full size course was 144 (probably not a fully legit score, but I kept it). I spent more than a few years shooting well on the north side of 100, so I'm no stranger to it.
I agree with you, though I’ve had some ugly scores recently it’s forcing me to get better. I’m not a competitive person but I do want to get better. I’m already back in the 120 range.

I agree with you, though I’ve had some ugly scores recently it’s forcing me to get better. I’m not a competitive person but I do want to get better. I’m already back in the 120 range.
I'm a highly competitive person, but against myself more so than anybody else. I've never been more than a mediocre athlete, so I'm used to other people being better at things than I am and it doesn't bother me, but I always want to push myself a little harder and have numbers that show whether or not what I'm doing is working. I'm not a competitive runner, but I track my time/distance/pace when I run; I'm not a competitive weight lifter, but I keep a log of my reps and weights. If I play pickup basketball, we keep score and there's a winner and a loser. Why should golf be any different? I just don't lose sleep over it and it's not the end of the world if I have a bad run, a bad workout....or a bad round of golf.

Been playing about 15 years, but only started getting serious about 5 years ago, and "really serious" (lessons, club fitting, and regimented practice) a couple months ago.
I have seen so many huge shifts back and forth in my game I cant count them all.
There were times I would get out on the course and it was like I never hit a ball in my life. I would just completely fall apart and feel like quitting, but Im not going to let anything get the best of me.
Here are things that help a lot during those times 1. Play some scramble games. Best ball with some friends can really take the pressure off and make golf fun again. 2. Have specific goals you are working on when you practice. 3. I cant stress this enough, take... lessons. 2 months of lessons have completely changed my swing and confidence. It was hard work changing what was comfortable, but so worth it. If you cant afford it save up. Even 3 or 4 lessons can get you going in the right direction. 4. Learn course managment. Dont try to hit shots your arent comfortable with, or dont have the skill for. 5. Dont try to impress people, make golf about you vs you, dont worry about what anyone else is doing. 6. Take 50% power off your swing until you have your swing down pat. I bet you will notice you lose almost no distance, gain a ton of accuracy and top the ball WAY less.
Last thing, golf is hard... REAL hard. I have done a lot of very athletic things in my life, but golf is a different animal. Its not about being strong or athletic, its far more about technique and mental toughness.
Dont give up because the golf has so much to offer. When in doubt, slow your swing WAY down and get back to the fundamentals.

Take lessons before you develop bad habits. Bad habits will haunt you for years once that becomes your normal swing.

I'm a highly competitive person, but against myself more so than anybody else. I've never been more than a mediocre athlete, so I'm used to other people being better at things than I am and it doesn't bother me, but I always want to push myself a little harder and have numbers that show whether or not what I'm doing is working. I'm not a competitive runner, but I track my time/distance/pace when I run; I'm not a competitive weight lifter, but I keep a log of my reps and weights. If I play pickup basketball, we keep score and there's a winner and a loser. Why should golf be any different? I just don't lose sleep over it and it's not the end of the world if I have a bad run, a bad workout....or a bad round of golf.
I totally agree with you .

Maybe just stop keeping score for a while? I think that’s worth a try my friend.
It's ok to not keep score. It's also ok to shoot a bad score, but stick to some things you have been working on. Golf is hard and a lot of people will try to learn a new movement pattern only to abandon it after the first bad shot on a course. STICK TO THE PLAN!!!! Bad shots happen, to everybody. Don't get worked up over them. If you play an entire round, sticking to whatever new feeling you are trying to engrain, that's a win! When you do hit a bad shot, laugh at yourself. It's a simple thing, but when I'm playing bad, I try to walk to my ball while looking at the top of the flag stick. Hard to hand your head when you're looking at the flag.

Remember, this guy is pretty good and he did this on the Sunday of a major:
Shank.PNG

It's ok to not keep score. It's also ok to shoot a bad score, but stick to some things you have been working on. Golf is hard and a lot of people will try to learn a new movement pattern only to abandon it after the first bad shot on a course. STICK TO THE PLAN!!!! Bad shots happen, to everybody. Don't get worked up over them. If you play an entire round, sticking to whatever new feeling you are trying to engrain, that's a win! When you do hit a bad shot, laugh at yourself. It's a simple thing, but when I'm playing bad, I try to walk to my ball while looking at the top of the flag stick. Hard to hand your head when you're looking at the flag.

Remember, this guy is pretty good and he did this on the Sunday of a major:
View attachment 9188157
I agree, personally I’m going to continue posting all scores on the Grint; the good, the bad, and the ugly 😅

I agree, personally I’m going to continue posting all scores on the Grint; the good, the bad, and the ugly 😅
Hell yeah. Take all the pops you can get!

Like I have said on this forum before, and mentioned in this thread.
If you get out there and start "feeling like a mutant" the fastest fix is losen your grip and swing easy.
I used to get super mad and tense, it only makes it worse I promise you, if you take a second to relax your grip and swing easy it will help a ton.
Treat the club like you would a tool, you wouldnt swing a hammer at a nail as hard as you can with a death grip. Let the club do the work and your shots will get better almost instantly.

but stick to some things you have been working on. Golf is hard and a lot of people will try to learn a new movement pattern only to abandon it after the first bad shot on a course. STICK TO THE PLAN!!!!
I've learned a few things that really worked for me.

This was one of them. Stick to a plan. For me that meant fix the next worst ball flight mistake.

The other was learning what my club face is doing. How it effects ball flight. and how my particular swing gets the club face back to the ball. Slo Motion swings tell you a lot about what your swing is doing to club face.

Where I bottom out. If I hit the ground before the ball, I'll skull it and it will fly along the ground. If the ball is too far forward in my stance, I'll top it as well.

There is a lot you can learn about "your swing" that will permanently help your score and enjoyment of the game, with little significant change to your swing.

Grip, stance, ball position. Its all about physics. I've chosen to play golf , not golf swing.

We all learn differently. We are all different shapes, sizes and age. and there is no standard in golf instruction

This game will beat you up at times...... Me currently:

Quality Instruction, then Practice, Practice, and more Practice. The instruction can come from a qualified instructor, or from golf instruction books at your local library.

Also, when playing, pick the ball up after double bogey. Make your personal par 108 until you start improving.

Quit beating yourself up with those higher scores. They are counter productive. Especially with your mental game.

Back