Favorite musicians gone too soon

The ones that really got me in the gut were Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington. Not the biggest fan of Linkin Park, but man it bit with me.

Mark Lanegan just recently as well.

Marvin Gaye and Sam Cooke. Would be amazing to hear their voices again.

George Harrison.

Neil-Peart.jpg

Soul-crushing loss.

Honorable mention:
View attachment 9098816

Neil still hurts me to this day. He's my single biggest musical influence with his drumming & lyric writing. What an incredible loss. I grew up with Croce and when I was in bands & writing songs, I always thought about how his tunes were simple in a way yet so heartfelt. Every song told a perfect story.

I remember sitting in the car with my dad, listening to an interview with Brian May after Innuendo came out, and they asked Brian when they were touring for the album and my dad immediately said "we're getting tickets to that as soon as it's announced!" Brian danced around the subject... and a few days later Freddie was gone. Best frontman of all time IMHO

Karen Carpenter

Karen never gets the respect for her drumming that she deserves. She had an otherworldly voice for sure, but her drumming chops were SOLID and I feel like that gets forgotten nowadays.

To add another to the list - MCA. His loss was the first one that actually hit me hard when it comes to loss of musicians.

Bradley Nowell.

Agree with the previous posts regarding The Professor - Neil Peart!!!

What a tremendous loss.

He was the seminal musical influence on my younger years and it still stings that there's no more new Rush music coming down the pike.

Really depressing...

So so many...

Jimi Hendrix
John Bonham
Ronnie Van Zant
Ronnie James Dio
Randy Rhoads
Criss Oliva
Prince
Chuck Schuldiner
Cliff Burton
Eddie Van Halen
Jim Croce
Layne Staley
Chris Cornell
Chester Bennington
Taylor Hawkins
The Rev (Jimmy Sullivan)
Bradley Nowell

And that's just off the top of my head.

A lot of good ones so far, but no one has mentioned Brad Delp of Boston.

Lot's of good choices in here... I'll throw in Mikey Houser from Widespread Panic.

PRINCE

1655995863175.png

Still one of my favorite songs of all time ..... "Purple Rain"

While not nearly as significant historically Brad Nowell was making better music with Sublime than Kurt Cobain was with Nirvana. I always thought he was the most tragic 90's loss. I have always thought the Foo Fighters were a step up from Nirvana also. They finally started stepping out of that shadow over the last decade.

Michael Rabin.

I know Selena was one that was a huge story growing up in south florida

I don't think I've seen George Michael listed yet, another very talented musician gone too young.

Unfortunately it’s an extremely long list.

Clifford Brown, the greatest jazz trumpeter you never heard of.

I also would add charlie Parker my inspiration to pick up a saxophone and play for the last 29 years.

Back