Favorite hole at Augusta

calebt17

Reaction score
Handicap
What is your favorite hole at Augusta and why?

#6 Craziest par 3 green you'll ever see. Some of the creativity you see on that hole in short game is second to none.

I'm a fan of 11. It's just so ridiculously narrow for the tee shot!

I could make a case for every hole out there but if I had to pick just 1 I'd go with the 13th. You'll see eagles and bogeys there and Mickelson's shot there last year in the final round is one of the best I can ever remember.

06w03.jpg

This picture says it all! Hole number 12 :D

I have two

#13 Azalea - Such a beautiful hole. Not the longest Par 5, but it requires such precise shot making. Love the setup and temptation to go for the green in two

#16 Redbud - Seems like the tournament always hinges on this Par 3. Pretty straight-forward hole that seems to always create the most exciting moment of the tournament

#18, The tee shot is demanding because of the trees and the bunker. The uphill approach is difficult with the Sunday pin position. The green makes you earn the victory. It provides a lot of drama.

I could make a case for every hole out there but if I had to pick just 1 I'd go with the 13th. You'll see eagles and bogeys there and Mickelson's shot there last year in the final round is one of the best I can ever remember.

I have to agree, there is always lots of drama on the 13th!! But I do love everything about Augusta!!

There aren't really any bad holes out on that course:
1 - Such a tight landing area between the right bunker and the left trees, but if you stay short of the bunker, very long shot to small green.
2 - Huge downhill change (much bigger than you can tell on TV), but again drive is all important between the right bunker and the left trees.
3 - Nice short par 4, diabolical green though.
4 - Always amazes me that so many guys hit and hold that green from like 220-230.
5 - Another diabolical green with big slopes on the front.
6 - Not that long, but given the elevation change and the fact that some pins require shots within 5 feet, tougher than the yardage indicates.
7 - Another small, sloped, bunker protected green (noticing a trend?? :D)
8 - Pinched landing area, all uphill, mounds surrounding green...eagle to double in play.
9 - Green is three tiered and pure evil...if you land on front tier, ball can roll 90 yards back down fairway.
10 - If you could see the pro-tracer of guys drives here you would be amazed at how far they have to move the ball right-to-left just to hit the fairway slot.
11 - So long and to a dangerous green.
12 - So short and to a dangerous green :D
13 - See #10...that green is my favorite spot on the course though.
14 - No bunkers, green so diabolical that it borders on unfair...fairway sloped left to right whole way.
15 - Hit second shot to shallow green between two ponds, or layup, and have tougher 3rd from downhill lie.
16 - How can you not love a green with that much slope...3 inches can be the difference between birdie and double.
17 - Another small, sloped, bunker protected green.
18 - That slot between the trees is so narrow and the uphill 2nd to a difficult green is just tough.

It is really an amazingly thought-out design that relies on the tough greens and works backwards. If I had to pick just one hole to watch, it would probably be 16 since you can see the tee shot and the green, but I'm a big fan of #9 too.

I don't know what it is about 16, but I love watching the tee shots, once they hit the green I'm just waiting for them to start rolling, and with the regular sunday pin location it's just equals great drama!

I love 12. watching the players decide what club to hit and then backing off because the wind changes direction is tons of fun.

That's pretty much how I feel as well. #13 might have a slight edgem but the others might all be T2.

15 or 16. So many balls have gone into those lakes and shattered so many player's dreams.

If Greg Norman Bought Augusta he'ld have both those lakes filled in.

Hard to pick just one..........but 16 stands out to me for some of the good and bad things that have happened there over the years. All the back nine holes are great because that is often where it all happens on Sunday.

Golden Bell without a doubt.
I love challenging par 3's and this one looks to be a blast to try to conquer. The wind that travels Raes creek is soooo deceptive. Then you get the swirling gusts from the hill and azaleas behind it. Awesome stuff IMHO.

Like the 12. Is a just beautiful.

16. I know where the pin is for each day. a couple are tougher than nuts, incl the middle right pin on the shelf that NO ONE can get to.

18. The narrow opening off the tee is tight!

I agree about the 13th. Seems like the Masters is regularly decided there. Example being Couples ball somehow not rolling back into Rae's Creek

I believe the 12th, Couples defying gravity, Weiskopf's 13 there, I have sat there many days and watched the best in the world agonize over hitting a 155 yard shot.

13th and 16th------My home course has replicas of each. I have yet to birdie 16th. That sloping green is diabolical. 3 foot putts are just plain white knuckle stuff.

06w03.jpg

This picture says it all! Hole number 12 :D

I'm with you. You can't beat the view, or the skill required to get par on that hole. What I think is funny is that during the Players Championship they talk about 17 at TPC being the most well known par 3, but I would say that 12 at Augusta is right there with it.

I'm with you. You can't beat the view, or the skill required to get par on that hole. What I think is funny is that during the Players Championship they talk about 17 at TPC being the most well known par 3, but I would say that 12 at Augusta is right there with it.[/QUOTE]

I agree IN, I see way more prints of #12 in offices and homes than I do of #17, that in itself speaks volumns to me.

Back